CoinPeople.com

ikaros' goodies

ikaros

And with this coin:

984019.jpg

...I complete my 20th Century US type set (excluding gold and commemorative halves).

It's kind of a weird feeling, having a book with no holes in it... and now, I start upgrading everything. It may stop, but it never ends!

Scans of the kopeks and other things to come later. :ninja:

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it! I always have this "thing" for well-circulated coins with natural patina.

Especially when their high-grade big brothers are a painful kick in the wallet. :ninja:

I was pleased that the date wasn't completely eroded away, and there's still detail in the recesses. I about had a stroke when my dealer said he had a '17 at very fine for $52 and immediately asked after it... he of course meant VG. Oh, well...!

I think I've said before, one of the things I like about well-circulated coins is I don't feel paranoid about just *looking* at them. I mean, an MS-60 1917 SLQ, and I'd be afraid of breathing in the same room as it!

• 1 month later...

Gonna have to do this in stages, because I really overdid it today at the coin show. We'll do it by groups.

The SCIENCE! collection: 1999 Romanian 500 lei commemorating the solar eclipse that year

The British collection: 1977 Jubilee Crown

The "They were handing these away for free" collection: 2009P&D "Presidency" cents, 2010P&D Shield cents.

The "In Soviet Russia, coin collects YOU!" set: 1932 20 kopek, 1936 2 kopek, 1943 and 1969 5 kopek, ND (1967) 50th anniversary of the Revolution 50 kopek, 1987 Konstantin Tsiolkovskiy ruble.

The Poland collection: 1935 2 grosze, 1967 10 zł. General Swierczewski, 1969 10zł. 25th anniversary of the People's Republic, 1971 5 groszy, 1971 10 zł 50th anniversary of Silesian uprising, 1973 20 zł, 1989 2 zł, 1990 100 zł.

The Jefferson Project: 1939S T1, 1940, 1947, 1947D, 1956 proof, 1957 proof, 1965 SMS with hint of frost on Monticello, 1966 SMS, 1967 SMS, 2010P, 2010D.

The Birth Year Project: Colombia 20 & 50 centavos; Cyprus 100 mils; Denmark 5 kroner; East Germany 10 pfennig (mm: A); West Germany 2 pfennig (mm: J); Great Britain half crown; Iran 10 rials; Ireland half crown; Jordan 1 fils; Netherlands 25c; Netherlands Antilles 1/10 gulden; New Zealand halfpenny, penny, threepence, sixpence, shilling, florin and half crown; Norway 1 øre; Pakistan 25 paisa; Portugal 50 centavos; Russia (USSR) 1 kopek; Sweden 1 krona; Switzerland 1 franc; Yugoslavia 2 and 5 dinara.

Photos eventually. Oy. :)

First load of pictures!

To the "SCIENCE!" collection (it really works best if you say "SCIENCE!" like from the Thomas Dolby song -- I could subtitle this collection "She blinded me with coinage!"), a 1999 Romanian 500 Lei commemorating the 11 August total eclipse of the sun:

985202.jpg

To the "In Soviet Russia, coin collects YOU!" collection:

985210.jpg

1932 20 kopeks

985211.jpg

1936 2 kopeks

985212.jpg

1943 5 kopeks

985214.jpg

ND (1967) 50 kopeks commemorating the 50th anniversary of the October Revolution

985231.jpg

1987 1 ruble, Konstantin E. Tsiolkovskiy

Very nice. I have to admit these Soviet coins are tempting.

I find them fascinating for several reasons. First is the deliberate effort by Soviet authorities to make them uninteresting to coin collectors, which they considered a "bourgeois" hobby. And paradoxically, that makes them interesting, at least to collectors like me.

Second is the strange array of denominations of kopeks: 1, 2, 3, 5, 10, 15, 20 and 50. I can't think of anywhere else that had a coin representing 15% of the base currency. The others are all common -- even the US once had two, three and twenty cent pieces, but we never had a 15c piece. I'm sure there's an equivalent somewhere, but nothing common that comes to mind.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, my job assignment ended early, so I'm unemployed again, putting The Jefferson Project on indefinite hold. I still have pix from my last several purchases to put up here. Before I do that, though, these from the Glendinning Man In Space set from 1969. These same designs were used (with a Shell Oil logo on the back) as a gasoline premium.

Mercury VI:

986102.jpg

Gemini VII:

986103.jpg

Apollo VIII:

986104.jpg

Apollo XI:

986105.jpg

These were found while cleaning out Grandpa's house after he passed away last year--though they were probably my late uncle's, who was a collector of collections. :)

Oh no! What do you do?

Whatever they'll pay me to do that doesn't involve possible jail time or exposing things that shouldn't be exposed. :hysterical:

Actually, I had a great interview today that looks like it could lead back into a Tier 2 helpdesk slot, or maybe back into VB/VBScript. That would be most excellent. Fingers, toes and eyes crossed.

• 3 months later...

You know, one of the benefits of being a forgetful person is that you can pleasantly surprise yourself months after the fact. Just found the pile of 1963s that I got at the Ohio State Coin Show last fall. Here's the first four:

20 and 50 Colombian centavos:

989094.jpg

989095.jpg

100 Cypriot mils (this coin has lustre all day long):

989096.jpg

5 Danish kroner:

989097.jpg

Not a big fan of the Turkish occupation of Cyprus, but the coin is nice, a pleasant modernization of an old icon.

Re the aboves, I have an interest in aviation and space, so I have the Tsiolkovski commemorative ruble and some of the "Man in Space" coins, which I believe were gas station issues. Interesting...

Not a big fan of the Turkish occupation of Cyprus, but the coin is nice, a pleasant modernization of an old icon.

Re the aboves, I have an interest in aviation and space, so I have the Tsiolkovski commemorative ruble and some of the "Man in Space" coins, which I believe were gas station issues. Interesting...

I generally don't think of the politics behind a coin much, except where they made an impact on the design itself. Poland seems to have never stopped fighting Soviet domination, to judge by the extraordinary issues of the 60s and 70s -- the ones celebrating Poles, Poland itself and Polish history are still some of the most remarkable designs in my collection... and the ones celebrating the Communist state seem to be deliberately unappealing. Meanwhile, Soviet issues appear to have been deliberately "uninteresting" (common designs across all denominations for many decades) in order to kill off the hobby of coin collecting, which the state considered a bourgeois activity and unsuitable for the proletariat -- which has paradoxically made them interesting to me, anyway.

Anyway, the 'Man in Space' coins were issued by Shell after Glendinning had two issues. Shell's had the original Glendinning obverse and the Shell logo on the obverse. The first Glendinning issue was bronze and had a brief mission outline on the reverse; the second issue was aluminium and had the 'Man in Space' logo. I'd like to get the bronze set eventually. They turn up on eBay periodically.

In the immortal lyrics of Tom Lehrer, "More, more, I'm still not satisfied!"

West Germany 1963J 2 pfennig

989124.jpg

East Germany 1963A 10 pfennig

989125.jpg

Great Britain 1963 Half Crown

989126.jpg

Ireland 1963 Half Crown

989127.jpg

Iran SH1343 (1963CE) 10 Riyals

989128.jpg

More to come...

Very nice. I especially like the half crowns.

I love the big coins. I don't know how it is I haven't got the crown bug yet, other than price.

There's another half crown coming soon -- as they say, watch this space!

And even yet more!

Jordan - 1 fils AH1383/1963CE -- this little guy might now be my lowest-mintage coin (3000 struck), and is worth five times what I paid for it... too bad I only paid a buck. :)

989139.jpg

Netherlands 25 cent

989140.jpg

Netherlands Antilles 1/10 gulden

989141.jpg

You are a beast, Ikaros! Always have great things to share!

Thanks! Thinking about going up to Allen's today, but it's cold and I have a headache... feh. Anyway, I have more scans coming from the Birth Year Set. I'm still not satisfied with the quality of the scans, but they'll do.

Who are you rooting for for the Super Bowl? You're stuck in the middle!

Was it yesterday? Did I miss it? I don't even have an educated guess as to who's playing... "stuck in the middle" would be Bengals vs Browns, and since there haven't been any other signs of the end of the universe, I doubt that's who's playing. :grin: