CoinPeople.com

ikaros' goodies

ikaros

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice coins. I enjoy the coins with holes in them and the odd shaped ones as well.

Yeah, I fear that the beginnings of a non-circular/"donut" collection may be in my future... yeesh.

East African coinage is somewhat hard to find but the designs are eye catching. I have a few and plan on adding more.

I like the Moroccan piece (French Protectorate). That's a lot of work on such a small area.

East African coinage is somewhat hard to find but the designs are eye catching. I have a few and plan on adding more.

My only interest was in their being one of the few circulation coins to get Edward VIII's name on it--I've been toying with building an Eddie set (there can't be too many issues with his name on them), with an eye towards setting up a competition display the next time the CSNS meets in Columbus.

I like the Moroccan piece (French Protectorate). That's a lot of work on such a small area.

Yeah, that's why I ended up picking it up, even though it doesn't fall into any of my collection categories. Can you imagine what it must look like in AU/MS?

• 3 years later...

I've been pawing through bins again!

Let's go through the strays first.

First up, a couple commies -- a 1941 15 kope'ek and a 1940 2 kopeyki of the Soviet Union that the scan doesn't do justice to. The reverse has beautifully subtle reds (no pun intended), yellows and blues, and the whole coin is not as ruddy as the scan suggests.

977418.jpg

977421.jpg

Next up, from our friends to the north, an 1859 large cent:

977422.jpg

Lastly, well, let me say that the only interest I've ever had in Filipino coinage has been to ensure that any 1963 issues properly land in my birth year set. Until I saw the stunning Philippine Eagle on the reverse of this 50 sentimo coin of 1985:

977423.jpg

Next up: the 1963s.

And now, the new 1963s (well, one's an upgrade).

Cyprus 50 mils. Classical obverse, simple reverse. Mmm, grapes!

977429.jpg

Couple Commonwealth issues: British Caribbean Territories (Eastern Group) 25 Cents and Hong Kong 50 Cents. Identical obverses; were they standardized across the commonwealth for territories and subnational entities?

977430.jpg

977431.jpg

And a Romanian 3 Lei. And who doesn't like a good lei once in a while? Sorry. Couldn't resist. XD

977432.jpg

Next: additions to the big pile of Poles!

Identical obverses; were they standardized across the commonwealth for territories and subnational entities?

The crowned portrait was unique to the various Commonwealth nations, but they didn't all use it. Canada, Australia and New Zealand all used an uncrowned portrait. Of course, most have now switched to the older portraits of the queen, but Belize (formerly British Honduras) continues to use her young portrait! Nice coins, by the way!

The crowned portrait was unique to the various Commonwealth nations, but they didn't all use it. Canada, Australia and New Zealand all used an uncrowned portrait. Of course, most have now switched to the older portraits of the queen, but Belize (formerly British Honduras) continues to use her young portrait! Nice coins, by the way!
Thanks!

Yeah, I remember seeing Canadian coins in change a lot when I lived in Toledo -- they're a lot less common down here in Columbus. Looks like Belize uses a different portrait on their dollar than on the other coins, but that's curious that they still used the 'young Elizabeth' design.

Wonder if the different effigies had to do with whether the coins were being minted in country, or being made for them by the Royal Mint.

Wonder if the different effigies had to do with whether the coins were being minted in country, or being made for them by the Royal Mint.

I hadn't considered that, but you could well be right, but very few countries actually had their own mints. Australia and Canada did, but I think New Zealand contracted with foreign mints. It would certainly be worth a little digging into, which sounds like a fun exercise to me. :ninja:

I hadn't considered that, but you could well be right, but very few countries actually had their own mints. Australia and Canada did, but I think New Zealand contracted with foreign mints. It would certainly be worth a little digging into, which sounds like a fun exercise to me. :ninja:

Well, the New Zealand Mint says they've been at it for 'over four decades', but they had, I think, their own unique designs before then.

Judging by this year's commemorative, the Australian Mint went online in 1910. Canada's been at it for over 150 years. I'm not sure about the other dominions. I'll have to poke around a bit, too. ;)

And now, those fabulous Poles!

A lovely '77 10 złotych to start things off:

977472.jpg

Another 10 złotych, this time a '60:

977473.jpg

And a 1958 2 złote:

977474.jpg

And then we move to some terrific finds from the inter-war period. This is a lovely 1929 1 złoty:

977475.jpg

Six years earlier, this 50 groszy was minted:

977476.jpg

Last and least (monetarily) but not least (eye-appeal) is this '23 10 groszy that the scanner does no justice to. It's got lustre like the day is long, a positively gorgeous little coin.

977477.jpg

Next: the Brits.

Well, the New Zealand Mint says they've been at it for 'over four decades', but they had, I think, their own unique designs before then.

Judging by this year's commemorative, the Australian Mint went online in 1910. Canada's been at it for over 150 years. I'm not sure about the other dominions. I'll have to poke around a bit, too. :ninja:

Sydney Mint (Australia) opened in 1855, striking sovereigns and half-sovereign for several decades until the first actual Australian coinage was issued in 1910.

The Ottawa Mint (Canada) was first struck coins in 1908. (Virtually all circulation coins are now done at the Winnipeg mint, though)

Are the '23 Polish stuff actually from that year? I think there are some Polish minors that were struck with frozen dates.

That, I dunno ... and wasn't aware of. Any way to tell them apart?

Are the '23 Polish stuff actually from that year? I think there are some Polish minors that were struck with frozen dates.

(answering his own question)

Yes, they're real -- they're magnetic. The real '23s were struck in nickel, the occupation ones in zinc. Science for the win!

First batch of Brits!

First, some farthings. A '41 with just tons of lustre:

977575.jpg

A '46 nearly as nice:

977576.jpg

And a '55 also very shiny:

977577.jpg

And now a couple shillings worth of sixpence. We'll start with this 1948 example:

977578.jpg

And the redesigned 1949:

977579.jpg

And this stunner from '63, mint lustre all over:

977580.jpg

And lastly, a shiny '66:

977581.jpg

Last batch -- a couple ha'pennies, a couple pence, a couple florins.

Last batch! Halfpence!

A beat up 1900 Vickie:

977584.jpg

A lovely bright '44 George VI:

977585.jpg

Pence!

A beat up 1895 Vickie:

977582.jpg

A lovely '48 George VI:

977583.jpg

Florins! Some circulated George VIs, '50 and '51

977586.jpg

977587.jpg

That's it for this batch!

I generally don't have any interest in African issues (save anything dated 1963, of course). And my opinion of astrology is difficult to state without resorting to vulgar adjectives.

However, I'm a sucker for Greek mythological critters. Whence, this:

977787.jpg

I'll leave the question of the legitimacy of the issuing state up to the diplomats. I likes it!

I think that al 20th century British base metal coins are fun to collect by date since most are readily available, and pretty inexpensive. I've got a bunch of GVI and EII florins kicking around somewhere.

Oh yeah, I have a pile of those, and I'm nearly complete on base-metal shillings (both English and Scottish crest). I like the three pence, too -- both the thrift plant and Parliament gate reverses. Almost all of them are VF or better and some are in AU territory; I suspect that's because when they found their way to this side of the Atlantic, they ceased circulating and went into a drawer somewhere.

Very nice coins. I have a fair collection of UK coins myself and especially like the 3d silvers and the large pennies.

The pence are terrific coins, yeah -- it's a lot of space for the engraver to work in, and the high grade ones (especially the final Victoria bust) are magnificent pieces of metal. I always did like the seated Britannia design. I only have one 3d silver; I have a pile of the brass ones, which I kind of like better. It's a meaty little coin, nice bulk, great feel on the fingers.