CoinPeople.com

ikaros' goodies

ikaros

That's a great coin. I had not seen one before. I agree that the scrollwork is terrific.

It's a hefty little hunk of metal, too. The relief on it is just wonderful.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the sea shells on the four corners it gives the coin the look of classy silverware.

Doesn't it, though? This is one of the nicest non-portraiture coins I've seen. Many of those err on the side of too much simplicity; this one doesn't fear complexity. I'm sure the engraving process was agonizing...

Beautiful design. I've always had a thing for square coins.

When I got this, I began contemplating a "non-round" collection. Just what I need, one more category!! :ninja:

• 4 weeks later...

Here's one of the Canadian PLs I picked up this week. The schmutz on the obverse is on the plastic, not on the coin. Nice frost. More when I can get some decent images. :ninja:

910779.jpg

Hi great coins Ikaros, are you after a Churchill crown? becouse I'v got a couple I could give you one? they are cheap and easy to find over here, and underated, but  they are nice coins.

That's on my list, definitely! If it's not any bother, I won't turn the offer down. :ninja:

Let's have a two-fer!

Here's a lovely 1964 50 kopek piece. Unseen in this image is the lettering around the edge: ПЯТЬДЕСЯТ КОПЕЕК 1964

909576.jpg

Here's a lovely half-crown from the same year. I love the detail on the reverse.

910869.jpg

Oh, heck, let's make it a three-fer and bring her daddy into it. Another one whose reverse is very cool.

910871.jpg

Got a couple more half crowns, but I'll hold those for another post.

Here's the first couple from the CSNS show in Columbus--the freebies being done by Gallery Mint. I think I've said before that I don't "get" ancients, but I love their take on the style. I believe both are being done in pewter.

First is the milled coin. The "third side" reads "GALLERY MINT". They're being minted on a hand-screw press, on-site.

910903.jpg

This one is undated, and basically a homage to the ancient hand-hammered coins. These are also being done on-site, with a hand-held die and one smart blow from a heavy mallet. The scan really doesn't catch the real character of this coin. The relief is unbelievable--as you can see since it's going out of focus in the scan.

910904.jpg

Well, there's the first couple. More to come. :ninja:

OOh I relly love that first one!  :ninja:

It's got lustre like the day is long, and the device has an almost frost-like finish to it ('course, that probably goes with being minted that day :lol:), and that whole mid-19th century look and feel... it really is a great piece. I wish they allowed photography inside the hall, I'd love to get a quick movie of them making the coins. Alas...

I hope they are still doing those Saturday! Lovely items

I imagine they will be. I'm going back tomorrow (too much to see in just four hours today) and will ask, if you like. There are a lot of go-wobbly-in-the-knees coins on display there. Whurf.

Nice Half Crown you posted above. The reverse on those are really attractive in any condition.

Thanks--I love detail like that. And it's such high relief, too.

I'm just getting ready to head out for CSNS Day 2, so here's some more of yesterday's haul.

This is the Moroccan piece (French Protectorate). If it wasn't for Krause, I don't know what I'd do sometimes. :ninja: I can only imagine what the detail would look like in a less circulated condition, but this is still nice.

910905.jpg

I tell you, the more I get into Polish coins, the more I love them, and it's getting to be less and less because of my heritage. There's no word for this other than "dramatic": the 1967 Marie Skłodowska-Curie 10 Złotych.

910908.jpg

Apparently, my scientists collection is now under weigh. This is the 1968 Mikolai Kopernik 10 ZÅ‚otych.

910911.jpg

Last one for this morning is the 1964 600th Anniversary of the Jagiellonian University 10 ZÅ‚otych.

910914.jpg

The quarry today: a 1967 General Sikorski 10 ZÅ‚otych.

This one is undated, and basically a homage to the ancient hand-hammered coins.  These are also being done on-site, with a hand-held die and one smart blow from a heavy mallet. 

Just one blow? How big is the mallet?

Awesome!  I love Polish coins.  I have a nice toned version of the last one.

The more I study them, the more I'm loving them. The Poles really did carry on the fight against Soviet domination with their coinage, covering them with national heroes rather than Marxist-Leninist themes. The few coins that celebrated Communist events are, well, uninspired. I think that was probably deliberate. Details in my CSNS Day 2 entry, which I'm off to write right now. :ninja:

More show goodies!

These were a couple I wanted, even though I don't do colonial or African coinage, because they're some of the few that managed to mention Edward VIII before he abdicated.

So here's a British West Africa 1/10th of a Penny from 1936:

911019.jpg

And an East Africa ten cents of the same year.

911020.jpg

I find the factor of 100 between the two denominations to be interesting.

To the best of my knowledge, nothing actually made it to circulation with Edward's actual portrait, did it?