• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This lovely showed up in the mail today; had from eBay for my birth year set

1963 Peru 1 Sol

1025389.jpg

Very nice. Interesting design.

Yeah, I really like the obverse shield... although the llama in the upper left irresistably reminds me of the Monty Python sketch. :D

:lol: Me too. I actually prefer the date side. It's so token-like in design.

It is that, although it seems to work here better than one might otherwise expect. And I really am growing more and more fond of brass coins -- this one, it's younger sibling the half sol de oro (which I haven't got yet), the predecimal British/Commonwealth threepenny piece, all for example. They hold up really well and in really high grades look just gorgeous.

Talk about really neat brass coins. How's about this one.

6036692838_625230b2bb_b.jpg1970 3p rev by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

(Sorry! Not trying to hijack your thread. Just want to stoke some discussion and sharing.)

For a beauty like that, hijack away. I was just thinking about perusing eBay for a proof threepence... :)

I'm not really up-to-date on the Royal Mint Offerings but I recall an issue of this type but in silver. Maybe a special set or some such. I don't recall seeing a proof of this coin but it would be a wonderful addition to a 3 pence collection. Off to "the bay" to have a look.

I'm not really up-to-date on the Royal Mint Offerings but I recall an issue of this type but in silver. Maybe a special set or some such. I don't recall seeing a proof of this coin but it would be a wonderful addition to a 3 pence collection. Off to "the bay" to have a look.

Found some nice coins at pretty reasonable prices.

More British loveliness! 1951 Festival of Britain crown -- about the only way I'm going to get the St George reverse, since it's otherwise on gold, as I recall. Had from eBay, still in its original box.

1025521.jpg

You mean they did the 12-sided threepence in silver? Link me! :D

I thought they had but I cannot find any record of such a coin. I must have been dreaming or it was part of a fantasy set.

I thought they had but I cannot find any record of such a coin. I must have been dreaming or it was part of a fantasy set.

Ah well. You know, I can't think that it would look better in silver than it does in brass anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not a basketball fan, but I am a huge Deadhead, and the 1992 Lithuanian Olympic Basketball Team is one of those gorgeous moments in sports history -- so when I saw this, I knew I needed to get one.

1026276.jpg

I'm not a basketball fan, but I am a huge Deadhead, and the 1992 Lithuanian Olympic Basketball Team is one of those gorgeous moments in sports history -- so when I saw this, I knew I needed to get one.

1026276.jpg

Awesome. I knew the unis you were talking about without looking at the link.

Makes me wonder what coin references there are in GD songs.

There's a reference to 'ten gold dollars' in Loser -- sometimes sung as 'one gold dollar'. The character August West in the song Wharf Rat asks the 'narrator' of the song for a dime, and the song Jack Straw refers to 'four bucks in change'. Those are the only ones that immediately leap to mind, but I shouldn't be surprised to find more... none of them refer to any specific coin, that I've been able to think of, although guesses can be made. When 'Loser' is sung with the 'one gold dollar' lyric, there's only a limited number of possible coins that it could refer to, at least. I'll have to stroll through my collection and see if I can find any more...

Oh, and 'Mexicali Blues' has the line 'a peso in my hand', but it isn't clear if it's a coin or a bill. I'd like to think it's a gold peso of the late 1800s.

1026276.jpg

That's a terrific looking coin. Nice item for your collection.

• 3 months later...

I have bought my first tombstones! Six proof clad Ikes in PCGS slabs, and all graded identically. Plus many others; several holes are filled and several countries completed for my birth year set. No time for photos, Mrs Evil Twin is coming to get me so I can spend the next few days out at their place in the country.

I have bought my first tombstones! Six proof clad Ikes in PCGS slabs, and all graded identically. Plus many others; several holes are filled and several countries completed for my birth year set. No time for photos, Mrs Evil Twin is coming to get me so I can spend the next few days out at their place in the country.

Have a great time.

The haul:

The Jefferson Project (yes, it's still alive!):

1945S MS65

1950P MS64

1971S Proof

1973S Proof

1977S Proof

1978S Proof

1982S Proof

1983S Proof

Birth Year Set:

Ceylon: 1, 2 & 10 cents

Dominican Republic: 1 & 5 centavos

Finland: 50 penniä

India: 25 & 50 paise

Pakistan: 5 paisa

Portugal: 5 escudos

Switzerland: 5 fr Red Cross centennial

Turkey: 1 kurus bronze

In Soviet Russia, Coin Collects YOU!:

1936 20 kopeks

1977 1 ruble, Moscow Olympics

Poland:

1933 2 grosze

1938 50 groszy

British/Empire/Commonwealth:

1955, 1960, 1961, 1965 6d

India 1936 1/12th Anna

Ceylon 1951 10 cents

S. Africa 1953 farthing

Guernsey 1956 8 Doubles

British Caribbean 1961 1c

Jersey 1964 1/12th Shilling

Miscelanneous Shiny Things:

Bolivia 1951H 1 Boliviano

1973S-78S US dollars PCGS slabbed all graded PR69DCAM

The haul:

The Jefferson Project (yes, it's still alive!):

1945S MS65

1950P MS64

1971S Proof

1973S Proof

1977S Proof

1978S Proof

1982S Proof

1983S Proof

Birth Year Set:

Ceylon: 1, 2 & 10 cents

Dominican Republic: 1 & 5 centavos

Finland: 50 penniä

India: 25 & 50 paise

Pakistan: 5 paisa

Portugal: 5 escudos

Switzerland: 5 fr Red Cross centennial

Turkey: 1 kurus bronze

In Soviet Russia, Coin Collects YOU!:

1936 20 kopeks

1977 1 ruble, Moscow Olympics

Poland:

1933 2 grosze

1938 50 groszy

British/Empire/Commonwealth:

1955, 1960, 1961, 1965 6d

India 1936 1/12th Anna

Ceylon 1951 10 cents

S. Africa 1953 farthing

Guernsey 1956 8 Doubles

British Caribbean 1961 1c

Jersey 1964 1/12th Shilling

Miscelanneous Shiny Things:

Bolivia 1951H 1 Boliviano

1973S-78S US dollars PCGS slabbed all graded PR69DCAM

Very nice haul. :bthumbsup:

Okay, a few calculations are in. The birthyear set is now just over 48% complete, and the Jefferson set is over 43% complete. I would call this progress!

I'd call it GREAT progress. Nice going.