CoinPeople.com

ikaros' goodies

ikaros

Pictures!

1000703.jpg

Lenin Centennial ruble, 1970

1000712.jpg

This is a companion to my 2009 Aerican Empire piece, and my first coin dated 2012. And besides, a Henson quote is all but irresistable. :)

1000713.jpg

Never posted this earlier -- a wooden nickel from the CONA show last September.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the immortal words of Tom Lehrer, "more, more, I'm still not satisfied!"

I seem to have also found an acceptable way of getting photographs. These are better than average, anyway.

I also hit the Half Price Books up that end of town and got a second-hand copy of the 5th edition of "Unusual World Coins". I gotta say, I am embarrassed on behalf of their editors. It's absolutely loaded with typos, misidentifications, and other errors. I'm glad I didn't pay full price for it; I would've been livid. I don't know how much of the information therein is reliable!

1963 East Africa 50c/half shilling

I love these commonwealth issues.

1002808.jpg

1963 Netherlands 5c

Another one for the birth year set!

1002811.jpg

1964 Rhodesia 1/- (10c)

I picked this up because it's one of the few examples of pre-decimal denominations on the second portrait of Elizabeth II. I don't think Rhodesia was the only commonwealth realm to do that, but I can't think of any other examples off the top of my head.

1002809.jpg

1944 Japan 10 sen

1002815.jpg

1993 PRC 1 jiao

Truth to tell, I thought this might be a North Korean piece and wanted it just because of that -- but China wasn't represented in my collection either, so it's okay to be wrong sometimes. :D

1002818.jpg

More to come, including new adds to the Jefferson Project!

1964 Rhodesia 1/- (10c)

I picked this up because it's one of the few examples of pre-decimal denominations on the second portrait of Elizabeth II. I don't think Rhodesia was the only commonwealth realm to do that, but I can't think of any other examples off the top of my head.

1002809.jpg

I like the coat of arms on this one a lot. The British commonwealth coins are in general quite interesting!

Very nice. :bthumbsup: The East Africa with the mountains and lion is super attractive.

Yeah, this coin (and the Rhodesian shilling) is already earmarked for PCI 2012 if/when that happens. :)

I like the coat of arms on this one a lot. The British commonwealth coins are in general quite interesting!

Yeah, I'm slowly falling towards at least a Imperial/Commonwealth type set... I just stopped to think how many coins that would be, one of each type since Victoria was declared empress, taking into account decolonization, shifting borders, structural changes in the basic currency, and I felt a few neurons die. o.O

Just occurred to me that I have a lot more coins to post. So, some new adds to the "In Soviet Union, coin collects YOU!" set, first:

1003051.jpg

1985 10 kopeks

1003052.jpg

1984 15 kopeks

1003053.jpg

1980 20 kopeks

More! A run of French 10 franc pieces that I just decided I liked, so by golly, I bought 'em. I *love* a good foreigns bin.

I was talking to one of the guys at my LCS and mentioned that it looked like the foreigns chest had been refreshed recently. He said they have something on the order of three thousand *pounds* of foreign coins and just top off the box every now and then.

I have to wonder how long it would take to actually go through a ton and a half of coins. It'd be a lot of fun to try!

Anyway. On with the francs.

1988-1991 10 franc bimetallic:

1003072.jpg

1003073.jpg

1003074.jpg

1003075.jpg

Last batch, these are the Poles that now reside in my collection:

1966 10 grozy:

1003076.jpg

1985 50 groszy -- and the 500th coin I've added to Omnicoin!

1003077.jpg

1966 1 złoty:

1003078.jpg

1981 5 złotych:

1003079.jpg

1982 5 złotych:

1003080.jpg

1983 5 złotych:

1003081.jpg

1987 5 złotych:

1003082.jpg

1981 10 złotych:

1003083.jpg

1982 10 złotych:

1003084.jpg

You've certainly been having fun. A ton and a half! Does he use a shovel to top off the bin? It does sound like fun to search that pile.

You've certainly been having fun. A ton and a half! Does he use a shovel to top off the bin? It does sound like fun to search that pile.

It is. I've found everything from Victoria farthings to modern euros in there. All base metal, of course -- they pull the silver. They had a bunch of Napoleon III coppers in there a few months ago. Every now and then I spot something that falls outside my usual areas that I just have to own. That's probably the most fun of it.

• 3 months later...

So Wednesday (which is my Sunday since I work Thursday to Monday and therefore Thursday is my Monday and Monday is my Friday and so the middle of the week is my weekend and the weekend is my middle of the week and I think I just made myself grammatically dizzy) I decided to pedal off for Hoover Dam. No, the other one. The intention was to do photography. I came back with only about 10 pictures because one thing I forgot to do was charge the battery in my camera. And since I also forgot sunblock, I think you can figure out what else I came back with.

And since that's only about a mile or three from my Local Coin Shop, I had no excuse not to stop in.

Added a few proofs to the Jefferson Project (the L&Cs) and the 2012P and Ds. They haven't cracked any proof sets yet so they didn't have single '12S proofs yet.

Found another gapfiller for my birth year set, a Finnish 20 penniä. For the Soviets, 1977 5 and 15 kopeks. For the Brits, a 1912 halfpenny. And for the Poles, a 1976 2 złote and a 1978 10 groszy.

Pictures to come, as usual!

• 2 weeks later...

Even though I still have pics pending from my last LCS run above, I wanted to get this up today. Made several purchases off eBay last week, and most of them have arrived already. And I think my coin photography is getting better.

West Germany 1 Mark 1963F -- for the birthyear collection

1009149.jpg

2009 Kazakhstan 50 Tenge Apollo-Soyuz commemorative -- for the Blinded Me With Science! collection

1009148.jpg

This is the one that blew my mind; I wanted it as soon as I saw it, and I can't believe no one bid against me for such a beautiful bit of sculpture.

1917 10 Cmes Ville de Besançon emergency money

1009150.jpg

Wow, that Besançon piece is quite the work of art!

And it was a completely random discovery. I searched on 'deco' on a whim, and there it was. It's just incredible in hand -- both deeply and subtly sculpted. Less luck on eBay today -- my attempt at sniping an Isaac Newton piece and a Thai proof set both got sniped. I don't know how many of us were throwing in our bids at the last possible second, but it was more funny than annoying to watch the numbers jump.

Like the coins and the photography very much. :bthumbsup:

Still not quite got the lighting right, but the images seem to be a definite improvement over what I had been getting. Lustrous and proof issues are the hardest ones to capture well! A circulated piece takes the light evenly, that's easy.

• 4 weeks later...

So I went to the State Fair on opening day two weeks ago (and again last week) and partook of RED VELVET FUNNEL CAKE. Funnel cake, roast corn on the cob, and ice cream frozen with liquid nitrogen are the three things I must have at the fair, and then whatever looks good. RED VELVET FUNNEL CAKE was just too amazing. Complete with cream cheese icing.

I also stumbled across a deal on a new Polaroid camera, an i1437 -- 14 megapixel, antishake, face-finding, all sorts of goodies. So I have a new digital camera, and I'm still gettin used to it, but it's not bad.

One of the dealers had a dime box of coins, and I picked up a Liz 2 1960 Canadian nickel, several George VI Canadian nickels ('42, '44 V, '49) and a '38 Canadian cent, a '37 UK halfpenny, and a 1949 Israeli 5 prutah. At 10c each. Makes me happy.

He also had a set I have been wanting for ages -- I have a couple of the aluminium ones that I posted many moons ago, but he had the complete 22 coin bronze (or brass?) set of the Glendinning Man in Space medals from 1969. For five bucks, in their original display card, but without the booklet and folder. Haven't photographed it yet.

Anyway, here's some of the coins.

1949 Israeli 5 prutah

1010329.jpg

1937 UK Halfpenny

1010330.jpg

1939 Canadian 1c

1010331.jpg

This one came off of eBay, though. Had to have it. I'm a huge Marvin the Martian fan, and the "In Gluteus Maximus We Trust" sold it once and for all. :D

1010328.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've been remiss in imaging my recent purchases, but given the news yesterday, I decided to get these two in particular done:

Glendinning Man in Space series: Gemini VIII

1011186.jpg

Glendinning Man in Space series: Apollo XI

1011187.jpg

Thousands of years from now, when humanity really does live out among the stars, we'll still remember who was first to put his foot on another world. There are precious few heroes of all of humanity, and we lost one yesterday.

The Haul

I did pretty good at the coin show today--no pictures yet because I'm at Evil Twin's place and not at home, but here's the list:

For the Jefferson Project:

1952D - MS65

1955 - PR64

1956D - 'BU'

1976S - PR

1979S T2 - PR67 DCAM

For "In Soviet Russia, Coin Collects YOU!"

1k 1939

3k 1977

5k 1930

10k 1967

For the predecimal collection: