CoinPeople.com

ikaros' goodies

ikaros

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice additions. A collection of Commonwealth Shillings would be rather nice. Good luck with it.

Probably a lot saner to tackle a type set rather than a full year/mint set, so I think that's what I'll eventually do. But the nickels first! :D

Love the squirrel!

It's an almost whimsical design, isn't it? A nice break from all the heavy representations of monarchs and leaders and concepts like justice and liberty -- nothin' wrong with those, but a cute fuzzy critter sure breaks up the monotony. :)

• 2 months later...

Ahhh, eBay. Edward VII pence, 1902 to 1910 inclusive, nine coins, three bucks. 1902 high tide and 1903 normal 3, already checked for those. Still, not going to complain about 50c per coin -- and that price includes shipping. Pictures when I get 'em.

Ahhh, eBay. Edward VII pence, 1902 to 1910 inclusive, nine coins, three bucks. 1902 high tide and 1903 normal 3, already checked for those. Still, not going to complain about 50c per coin -- and that price includes shipping. Pictures when I get 'em.

That sounds like a great win. Congrats.

Probably a lot saner to tackle a type set rather than a full year/mint set, so I think that's what I'll eventually do. But the nickels first! :D

A type set would be a cool thing (I am biased, though, being a type collector myself!). Would you want to collect all English/UK shilling types or just ones contemporaneous with the Commonwealth (which would be UK, not English)?

On a related note, has any country in the Commonwealth not decimalized yet?

Interestingly a nickel set would sort of "go" with a shilling set since after decimalization a shilling was equivalent to 5p (I understand shillings continued to circulate for a while because of this), and 5p is analogous to the US "nickel" five cent piece. Okay, it's a very tenuous connection :unsure: . But still....

A type set would be a cool thing (I am biased, though, being a type collector myself!). Would you want to collect all English/UK shilling types or just ones contemporaneous with the Commonwealth (which would be UK, not English)?

Commonwealth and Empire both. I was surprised to find that a few Commonwealth members issued shillings with the second portrait of Elizabeth II -- in general, the change from the young portrait to the more mature portrait in the 60s and 70s was coordinated with the change from LSD to decimal.

Now, not all members of the empire or the Commonwealth were even on the LSD system to begin with; India and Hong Kong come to mind first, to say nothing of the 'doubles' issued in Guernsey. So I want to do the penny set -- or at least a 'one minor currency unit' set -- to get everyone involved.

On a related note, has any country in the Commonwealth not decimalized yet?

Interestingly a nickel set would sort of "go" with a shilling set since after decimalization a shilling was equivalent to 5p (I understand shillings continued to circulate for a while because of this), and 5p is analogous to the US "nickel" five cent piece. Okay, it's a very tenuous connection :unsure: . But still....

I think everyone's decimal now. I can't think of any nation anywhere that's not decimalized by now, in or out of the Commonwealth. If anyone has a counterexample, I'd love to know about it. :)

I hadn't thought about the connection between the nickel and the shilling, but you're absolutely right! I tend to think of the shilling more in terms of the dime because of the number of pence involved, but it was to the pound what the nickel is to the dollar.

Whoops, I think I wasn't clear with my question. I wanted to know if you'd be going back to English/UK shillings from before (not after) the Commonwealth... and if so, how far back? I imagine shillings go back into the middle ages. (You did say "Empire" which is somewhat before, I am trying to figure out how far back that is.) I am asking out of a great deal of ignorance of the details of English history. (It's been a while since I read "History Of The English Speaking Peoples")

Whoops, I think I wasn't clear with my question. I wanted to know if you'd be going back to English/UK shillings from before (not after) the Commonwealth... and if so, how far back? I imagine shillings go back into the middle ages. (You did say "Empire" which is somewhat before, I am trying to figure out how far back that is.) I am asking out of a great deal of ignorance of the details of English history. (It's been a while since I read "History Of The English Speaking Peoples")

The British Empire only officially dates to 1876; the title 'Empress of India' was basically a gift to Victoria from Disraeli to keep her daughter (married to Kaiser Wilhelm I) from outranking her. Certainly it was functionally an empire long before that.

As far as English/UK pence and shillings go... the earlier the better and the more the merrier. :D I'd like to get some Commonwealth coinage, too. At a bare minimum, I want something during Isaac Newton's tenure as Master of the Mint -- 1700 to 1727. So, very late William III, or any Anne or George I. Probably want to avoid 1727 just to be safe, though, since Newton predeceased George by a couple months.

Now, about those Eddie 7 pence...

1902 high tide

991711.jpg

1903 normal 3

991712.jpg

991713.jpg

991714.jpg

991715.jpg

991716.jpg

991717.jpg

991718.jpg

991719.jpg

Very nice. I've read about some of the varieties for the large pennies but never really searched my collection for them. I really like these coins. Thanks for sharing.

• 3 months later...

The Haul from this year's CONA show -- pictures to come, most of the ones I took came out awful, but there are a few below.

For the British set:

Elizabeth I hammered coin; date uncertain, the dealer had it between 1595-1597 and did not indicate the denomination. I'm not sure if it's a shilling or a sixpence. But the price was right, it makes me happy, and it's the new dean of my collection!

995605.jpg

For the birth year set:

Fiji 1 Penny

Greece 30 Drachmai "Five Kings"

995606.jpg

This is the only coin I can recall seeing that has raised letters on the rim, rather than incuse.

Iceland 5 Aurar

Israel 1 Agorot, 1/2 Lirot (small animals)

Norway 2 Øre

Yugoslavia 20 dinara (upgrade)

For the "In Soviet Russia, coin collects YOU!" set:

1941 1 kopek

1961 5 kopek

For the Poland collection:

1923 5 Groszy

1974 200 ZÅ‚oty 25th anniversary of the People's Republic

995608.jpg

For the hell of it:

Morocco AH1366 (1947CE) 10 Francs

995607.jpg

The Jeffs will go on my Jefferson Project thread.

Very nice pickups. They're all quite attractive.

Yeah, I was surprised by the quality available this year at very reasonable prices. Too bad the show wasn't last month, I'd've put some other nominees into PCI2011! :)

I'm kind of hoping one of our resident experts can help me nail down exactly what that Elizabeth I piece is. I've been researching it online, but this is my first hammered piece and I know really nothing about them.

Yeah, I was surprised by the quality available this year at very reasonable prices. Too bad the show wasn't last month, I'd've put some other nominees into PCI2011! :)

I'm kind of hoping one of our resident experts can help me nail down exactly what that Elizabeth I piece is. I've been researching it online, but this is my first hammered piece and I know really nothing about them.

I'd post it in a separate thread and ask for info. I'm pretty sure that a few folks here could help.

• 4 months later...

I recently bought a Nextbook -- real basic ebook reader, not tied to any particular merchant like Amazon or B&N. So I can print out my catalogs from OpenOffice to PDFs and load them directly, and have them on-hand to refer to, while listening to my favorite MP3s in the background!

So I sat down and catalogued my Jeffs, then my Brits, then my Poles, then my Russians, and got ready for a raid on my LCS.

Just as I'm heading out the door, the reader already stashed in my backpack (gotta love long earphone leads) and the computer already shut down, I spot five coins sitting on a shelf that I forgot to catalog. So I still have to rely on memory. But not for everything anymore.

Not much to be had in the foreigns bin, other than a few Soviet-era rubles turning up -- all of them the 1970 Lenin commemorative. At least I was able to pick and choose and get the best available than the only available. I also got a 5 kopek piece... forget what year off the top of my head, I'm posting from a coffee house and don't have them at hand. One new Polish piece, a 10 groszy from the early 1970s. And a couple of Brits - a threepence from the early 1940s, a 1916 penny, and a 1963 shilling (Scottish reverse).

It's a blessing and curse that my LCS takes foreigns seriously enough that I can get really good pieces there... and therefor that I can't luck out too much in the foreigns bin. Ah, well. I love the team there; they know their business, and they don't look down on the small-scale collectors like me. Actually, some comments I overheard while there suggest they really like the guys like me who collect for the love of collecting rather than the hope of making a quick buck.

These e-readers are going to make some serious changes for many of us. You can load catalogs and inventories and pictures and...

I recently go a sample of an ebook on Jefferson and Buffalo Nickels - it's the red book for those series. It has great promise. I'm thinking that may be the way I go for future books such as the Red Book and others in that series.

Sounds like the tech has finally caught up with what I wanted to do years ago.

Many years ago, I bought one of the old tablet PCs--and it's a real tablet, not one of those laptops that had a swivel display--by today's standards the size of a battleship, with the idea of being able to set it down flat at the case I was sitting in front of at a show, without it covering a huge area. I wanted a large screen but not a full blown laptop.

I made up a webpage (stored locally on the machine), bonestock HTML, that had most of my Russian Imperial coins as pictures. (And that, in-and-of itself, is another story!) Recent purchases I could carry with me for direct comparison, they didn't bulk all that much.

Alas the battery was flaky and the display was never bright enough; the tech wasn't quite ready for several hours of wandering a bourse floor where power drops accessible to the public are sparse. I bought the keyboard accessory and it still serves me as my traveling laptop, but it is by no means truly suitable for the task I intended it for. Of course, I ended up selling the collection anyway. For what I collect now, a printed checklist more than suffices.

Yeah, I was really happy to have all my data at hand. It'll make the Ohio show this coming September a real breeze. The only thing it can't do is update data on the fly, since it's just a reader. But I can live with that. It beats my old Palm-based system on a couple counts -- while it loses on updating on the fly, it wins on readability... and on compatibility, as my Palm is so old, Palm's not bothering with writing new drivers for Win7.

I think the only update I need to make is to condense all my spreadsheets into one document instead of separate documents as I have them now. It would've been a lot easier to flip pages than it was to change documents. Live and learn!

I find the new tablets to be tempting for this sort of thing. They're light weight and have plenty of power - at least that's what the specs/ads say. My son has a nice 10" andriod tablet. It's fast and the wifi connection is super on it. When he gets his new graphic laptop for school, I plan to borrow the tablet for a few weeks and play with a coin database and a few other things I'm interested in on it.