CoinPeople.com
ikaros

ikaros' goodies

I think the good old days of coin collecting are past - for now. Even the local club and shows and such are not really even close to the way they used to be. Small crowds. Dealers only looking for elite buyers, etc. 

The local annual coin show is always a lot of fun and well attended; I haven't been the local club meetings because they're really awkwardly situated for me to get to, though.

Welp, the Ohio State Coin Show is coming up again, Labor Day Weekend as always.  I have no real priorities this year -- probably going to look for more slabbed Ikes, and I'm toying with jumping on slabbed shield cents, since that's still a new series and can be caught up with in fairly short order.  And of course birth year thingies.

Anyone going to be in town for the show?

No shows for me. Didn't even make the local show the last few years. 😫😫

It's probably going to be a low-key event for me anyway as I don't have a lot of new money set aside to spend on old money, but I'm sure I can stumble across something interesting.  :)

I used to really enjoy the dealers junk boxes. Cheap and lots of neat stuff. 

Yeah, last year was really good for pawing through boxes -- mostly for medals.  I'm hoping for more of the same this year; I still haven't set myself any priorities.  If I come away with a new slabbed Ike, it'll be a good show.

Slabbed Ikes are usually neat coins. The true uncirculated versions and the proofs show such nice detail. It seems that many of the circulation strikes were poorly done from the start and thus lack detail and nice fields. I hope you do well on your quest. 

The best I've got so far is an MS67 silver 1973-S and yeah, it's got detail and lustre all day long.  PR69DCAMs are pretty easy to find, but some of the business strikes get crazy real fast if you stray north of the MS65 line -- my silvers are 66 and 67, but my business strikes are all 65s.