CoinPeople.com

ikaros' goodies

ikaros

I think the good old days of coin collecting are past - for now. Even the local club and shows and such are not really even close to the way they used to be. Small crowds. Dealers only looking for elite buyers, etc. 

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The local annual coin show is always a lot of fun and well attended; I haven't been the local club meetings because they're really awkwardly situated for me to get to, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Welp, the Ohio State Coin Show is coming up again, Labor Day Weekend as always.  I have no real priorities this year -- probably going to look for more slabbed Ikes, and I'm toying with jumping on slabbed shield cents, since that's still a new series and can be caught up with in fairly short order.  And of course birth year thingies.

Anyone going to be in town for the show?

It's probably going to be a low-key event for me anyway as I don't have a lot of new money set aside to spend on old money, but I'm sure I can stumble across something interesting.  :)

Yeah, last year was really good for pawing through boxes -- mostly for medals.  I'm hoping for more of the same this year; I still haven't set myself any priorities.  If I come away with a new slabbed Ike, it'll be a good show.

Slabbed Ikes are usually neat coins. The true uncirculated versions and the proofs show such nice detail. It seems that many of the circulation strikes were poorly done from the start and thus lack detail and nice fields. I hope you do well on your quest. 

The best I've got so far is an MS67 silver 1973-S and yeah, it's got detail and lustre all day long.  PR69DCAMs are pretty easy to find, but some of the business strikes get crazy real fast if you stray north of the MS65 line -- my silvers are 66 and 67, but my business strikes are all 65s.

Meanwhile, construction has begun on an off-axis lighting rig.  I will post photos when it's done because I want to see if anyone can sort out the method before I reveal how I'm doing it -- the only hint I will give is that I live in an apartment and therefore do not have anything in the way of a carpentry shop.

If it comes out as nice as I hope it does, I want to have a little brass plaque made for it in the style of Renaissance Humanist inventors: 'D Periparus facit MMXVIII' (Periparus would be the Latin version of my surname, in a similar way to how Carl von Linné is Carolus Linnaeus and Mikołaj Kopernik is Nicolaus Copernicus -- although mine is more of a direct translation than just a Latinization of the pronunciation).

• 2 weeks later...

All right!  Aside from flash flooding and way too much time spent on buses, I had a great time at the coin show today.  More pictures to come, but first up is a proof-of-concept shot of the 1972S silver PR69DCAM I got for the Ike collection.  I jury-rigged a glass holder with LEGO and boy am I glad I have a remote for my camera.  Getting the light lined up correct was not easy, nor was getting the focus just right.  But judging by at least some of the results, I think I'm on the right track:

30551800288_374feefb1d_b.jpg

Of course, I'd like to get those black proof fields, but in the absence of those, this will do nicely.  :)

I just this last summer took the photography class at the ANA Summer Seminar (a/k/a "Coin Camp") and it was quite helpful.  I was probably getting decent shots on half of my coins beforehand; now I can get something out of many more of them. 

It's certainly tricky photographing coins.  Most "normal" photography rules don't apply.

Edited by Steve D'Ippolito
Wrong place for me to post my own photos. Sorry!

On 9/2/2018 at 2:38 AM, ikaros said:

Of course, I'd like to get those black proof fields, but in the absence of those, this will do nicely.  :)

It is a damned good photo!

For some reason, most people go to great lengths to avoid those black proof fields, but I like the effect.  I was able to get them once or twice without any sort of axial lighting at all; just by angling the light properly.