CoinPeople.com

ikaros' goodies

ikaros

This just in from the US Mint: the New Frontiers medal, commemorating both John Glenn and the Apollo 11 crew:

1040918.jpg

That's wonderful!!

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

Here's several I haven't gotten around to posting before:

Three from COSI, the local science museum:

1042987.jpg1042986.jpg1042985.jpg

Two from an unknown series of space-themed medals:

1042984.jpg

1042983.jpg

And one from a melt that included metal from Vostok 1, which put Yuri Gagarin in space:

1042982.jpg

The Gagarin medal, the last one, is the first really decent picture of a coin I've gotten in some time -- although obviously it's not the camera, it's the cameraman, and judging by the other five, I still need some work. These were all done with my 'new' D40. Also, I updated the image for the Apollo XI/John Glenn medal, so the post previous reflects the new image now.

I had not -- I generally don't follow local news closely, and what I have over the last week has been mainly about that accident at the state fair. I hope they catch whoever it is before they melt it down for the gold. And also, they should let Buzz Aldrin have a go at the perp.

I had not -- I generally don't follow local news closely, and what I have over the last week has been mainly about that accident at the state fair. I hope they catch whoever it is before they melt it down for the gold. And also, they should let Buzz Aldrin have a go at the perp.

I don't condone violence but there are an awful lot of ignorant, jerk-ish people these days that seem to think they are entitled to blast their opinions with no consequences.

In other news, I'm in Wooster this weekend! My wife will be in Columbus briefly. Had I planned better, I could've joined her and met you for a drink!

I don't condone violence but there are an awful lot of ignorant, jerk-ish people these days that seem to think they are entitled to blast their opinions with no consequences.

That clip is actually the very end of about five to ten minutes of that guy incessantly harassing Dr Aldrin after having lured him to the hotel under false pretenses -- Aldrin thought he was there to be interviewed about space travel for a Japanese childrens' program. Buzz held it together until the words 'liar' and 'coward' came out, and then -- very rightly, in my opinion -- brought the incident to a close. The local authorities declined to prosecute after watching the tape and agreeing that the moon landing denier was clearly being aggressive and a threat. Ironically, the tape was provided to the police by the guy who got punched, as he later admitted he had been trying to provoke Aldrin.

And I'm deliberately not using his name because people like that don't deserve even the limited exposure of a friendly forum. I'm not going to provide him the oxygen of publicity when I'm not especially pleased that he's got the oxygen of oxygen.

In other news, I'm in Wooster this weekend! My wife will be in Columbus briefly. Had I planned better, I could've joined her and met you for a drink!

I can think of a couple places to go in the Short North, too! Alas... better luck next time. Have a Coccia House pizza while you're there, at least!

Have a Coccia House pizza while you're there, at least!

Nope! I made that mistake once already! Most overrated restaurant I've ever been to. Woosterites seem to be split on it these days.

Nope! I made that mistake once already! Most overrated restaurant I've ever been to. Woosterites seem to be split on it these days.

We shall honorably agree to disagree, then. :D

• 7 months later...

Nope.  I found the image somewhere and used it because I wanted an 'ikaros' image.  I've haunted eBay off and on looking for one -- the gold is out of my reach but a silver one finally turned up that no one else bid on. :)

21 hours ago, thedeadpoint said:

Remember when we had threads like "what is your oldest dated coin?" or "Count backwards from X using coins"?

I remember those days. I also remember the coin idle contests. Wow! They were fun.

On 3/12/2018 at 9:51 PM, thedeadpoint said:

"Idol"! "Coin Idle" is something much more boring :bleh:

Well, I sit corrected. :bye2:

• 3 months later...

I might be willing to do another Ugly Coin Competition -- that was a lot of fun, really -- or take on a part of a PCI (not the whole thing).  That might be the way to do a PCI, get a committee to handle it so it's not one person getting clobbered with the whole thing.  Curating the entire history of world coinage is not something one person can do... at least not if that person is me. :D