CoinPeople.com

ikaros' goodies

ikaros

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the dollars. Gonna try to get more photos done tomorrow, if there's more sunlight (seems to be the best lighting even for coin photography). I need to re-take some of these, but it at least gets 'em imaged.

1027926.jpg

1027927.jpg

1027928.jpg

1027929.jpg

1027930.jpg

1027931.jpg

Oh, plenty. The Ike set only just started at the coin show when I was made an offer I couldn't refuse on that lot of slabs, though I've been wanting to do Ikes for a while. I've added it as a Registry Set on PCGS, too. Though for some reason, one of the codes wouldn't enter. Odd.

• 5 months later...

The PR69DCAMs aren't especially tough -- there are thirteen to eighteen thousand of them in that particular grade, and only several dozen total PR70s across all proof Ikes. So for a typical collector like me, they're obtainable while the PR70s carry a ridiculous premium.

The MS66s and higher are actually tougher finds -- there are only 12000 or so in all grades MS66 and higher, and a third of those are the MS66es, and those start to spike pretty aggressively when you wander north of 66.

• 1 month later...

Well, well, well. One of the machines in the break room paid off again -- I got the last Statehood quarter I needed to complete the 112-coin set in P and D from change. THe 2009D Guam was the last holdout. Woot!

It took a lot longer than I thought it would, but '09 has definitely turned into the official Tough Year. And the current series isn't a lot easier. The only one I see a lot of is the Arches.

• 4 months later...

The results are in! The Jeffs are on the Jefferson Project page (which I was horrified to see I hadn't updated since 2012!).

For the Ikes, a 1973S silver clad slabbed by PCGS and graded MS67.

For the birthyear set, an East German 1 pfennig and two West German 1 mark pieces, mintmarked G and J -- since I already had D and F, that closes out West German marks. The Czechosloviakian 25 Haleru closes out Czechoslovakia. There's also 5 and 10 centavo pieces from the Dominican Republic, and a very upgraded East African 50¢.

And in the category of "Ooo, pretty!" there's a 1961 Katanga 1 Franc, a 1964 Jersey 1/4 shilling, and a 1679 Chuck Jr. farthing. Well, I'm pretty sure the last digit's a 9. It doesn't look like anything else.

Very nice Ik. Sounds like you had a very successful visit to the show. I'm off to check out the Jefferson project.

• 1 year later...

Have I really not posted anything here since the last state coin show? For shame, me.

PCGS MS65 1972D Ike with really intense gold toning, for the registry set:

1039064.jpg

1828 Bust half, because I've always wanted one, and I don't mind the damage because the rest of the coin is better than I could've afforded otherwise:

1039065.jpg

Haven't successfully imaged the rest of them yet. I think my camera needs a good cleaning, and I need a steadier hand.

Very nice, Ik. Both solid coins. I don't own a Bust Half because the wear patterns are so notorious. I am waiting to find one with an attractive wear and... a decent price.

Boy I miss collecting more actively.

Terrific coins Ik. I have a box that's like 1ft cube full of coins that I need to photograph. Lazy lazy lazy is my only excuse.

Yeah, the hole damage on the half doesn't detract too badly from the coin, and the rest of it's quite nice, I think. It's a gorgeous design -- I didn't know until I had it in hand that it has a lettered edge: "FIFTY CENTS OR HALF A DOLLAR" and I don't think it's unfair to grade it F to VF outside of the damage. 'Course, it can't actually have that grade because of the damage, but I'm happy with it. :)

I've never allowed damage to stop me from purchasing a coin I really wanted. Damage afterall is a normal part of the coin life cycle.

Especially some of the older or tougher issues. I don't really mind a beat up coin more than two centuries old, or in a 'from pocket change' set -- and that tempts me now to see the *worst* set of moderns I can create from pocket change, all the most beat-to-heck examples I can find that can still have their date and mint mark identified.

Yeah, but I can imagine looking for progressively worse examples could be a bit of fun, until I reach the point where I can only just identify the date and mintmark due to wear and/or environmental damage. I got a really cruddy and worn Washington Presidential dollar today -- and I mean worn to the point where calling it VF is possibly being kind to it. And it all looks like natural wear, it hasn't been artificially abraded. So I guess I'm starting there, with a 2007P Washington dollar that has had a pretty rough nine years. :)

• 3 months later...