CoinPeople.com

Where is Niue & Why do they have an electric coin?

Art

From an ad in Coinworld:

World's First Electric Coin

Offical relaese commemorates the 125th Anniversay of Thomas Edison's light bulb. Squeeze the coin between your thumb and index finger and the coin actually light up!

- Legal tender commemorative coin of Niue

So where and what is Niue?

From the CIA Factbook:

Niue's remoteness, as well as cultural and linguistic differences between its Polynesian inhabitants and those of the rest of the Cook Islands, have caused it to be separately administered. The population of the island continues to drop (from a peak of 5,200 in 1966 to about 2,150 in 2005), with substantial emigration to New Zealand, 2,400 km to the southwest

Location: Oceania, island in the South Pacific Ocean, east of Tonga 

Geographic coordinates:  19 02 S, 169 52 W 

Map references:  Oceania 

Area:  total: 260 sq km

land: 260 sq km

water: 0 sq km 

Area - comparative: 

1.5 times the size of Washington, DC 

An electric coin -- wow!!!!

Want more info ? --- click here.

I thought I had seen it everything with the guitar shaped coins, acrilic, wood and watch coins, but this is definitely the strangest one..

niue8uk.jpg

I like it, but after all those squeezes, I dont think it will look that nice covered with fingerprints...

Neat gimmick that makes up for the poorly done Edison portrait on the other side. But judging from the images in the SCWC, I think that Niue does not issue such pieces for the domestic market. Beckenbauer and Snoopy? C'mon ...

Christian

You could get electrons to flow with just two different metals. You don't really need an "electrolyte" medium, though air itself is such.

It would be more interesting if it served a purpose.

How long would such a coin be expected to last?

The website says:

"And thanks to its advanced, groundbreaking technology, the light bulb should keep working for a lifetime!"

So you dont have to worry.. :ninja:

It could develop an interesting wear pattern from the squeezing. :ninja: But, I think it would be one of those things that got shown maybe half a dozen times and then forgotten about.

Talking about "gimmick" coins ... here is another one. The Solomon Islands issued a piece for this year's World Cup, a color coin that features a movie, sort of, in the central part. http://www.honscha.de/bilder/sonstige/20580g.jpg I guess the technology is the same that the Australian mint used to make last year's "Dancing Man" (60th Anniversary of the End of WW2) coin.

The images show a scene from the 1974 World Cup (which was also in Germany). And if you hold and move the coin http://www.emuenzen.de/GerdMueller.mpg it looks like a "movie style" sequence.

Christian

Talking about "gimmick" coins ... here is another one. The Solomon Islands issued a piece for this year's World Cup, a color coin that features a movie, sort of, in the central part. http://www.honscha.de/bilder/sonstige/20580g.jpg  I guess the technology is the same that the Australian mint used to make last year's "Dancing Man" (60th Anniversary of the End of WW2) coin.

The images show a scene from the 1974 World Cup (which was also in Germany). And if you hold and move the coin http://www.emuenzen.de/GerdMueller.mpg it looks like a "movie style" sequence.

Christian

The effect is neat, but on a coin? That just is not right. *I can already hear the marketers at the US mint revising the First Ladies series: now we will see them baking chocolate chip cookies!* :ninja:

Archived