CoinPeople.com

What did Trantor_3 get today?

Trantor_3

Art, to give you an idea of the size of it: it's exactly the same size as the hole in the 2x2 in which I sent you the 5 cent, it's a real tight fit.

And unlike the 5 cent coin, the 50 cent coin does have the mint mark and privy mark that are common on coins struck by the KNM, you can see them in the ring that says "NEDERLANDSE ANTILLEN" at either side of the stem of the orange branche.

Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for one. We have a few dealers who bring a lot of world stuff to the meetings. I also have a friend who has an extensive world collection and quite a few dupes.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

today's haul:

Canada

1888 large cent

1900-H large cent

2006 "pink ribbon" quarter

United States

2006-S nickel

South Africa

1964 proof set (2x)

1966 proof set (2x)

1968 proof set (2x)

some stamps from South Africa and Bulgaria

today's haul:

Canada

1888 large cent

1900-H large cent

2006 "pink ribbon" quarter

United States

2006-S nickel

South Africa

1964 proof set (2x)

1966 proof set (2x)

1968 proof set (2x)

some stamps from South Africa and Bulgaria

:ninja:

That last one I actully pulled out of circulation, but I couldn't resist a nice die crack like that! Glad you like them. :ninja:

Btw what do you use to get nice closeup shots like that? :lol:

That last one I actully pulled out of circulation, but I couldn't resist a nice die crack like that! Glad you like them.  :ninja:

Btw what do you use to get nice closeup shots like that? :lol:

My camera : Canon Powershot A95, 5MPixels, with macro setting, can focus at 4 cm (approx 1.5")

That part I uploaded to OmniCoin is only a small part of the whole photograph, so it got almost unscaled in OmniCoin

What I scored at the "Day of the Mint" last saturday:

912398.jpg

912401.jpg

912402.jpg

912403.jpg

912404.jpg

912405.jpg

912406.jpg

912399.jpg

912400.jpg

The latter two are what we call "wafeled coins".

When the euro was introduced, the gulden was fased out, we had to hand all the gulden money in at the banks and we would get the corresponding amount of euro money.

The notes were all feed through shredders, the coins through "wafel machines" that converted nice coins into these wobbely things. Then they could be sold to scrap metal dealers without fear that they would be handed in again.

The Royal Dutch Mint keps a few bags of this stuff and gave them away as souvenirs

The Royal Dutch Mint keps a few bags of this stuff and gave them away as souvenirs

Cool indeed! :ninja: I have a few coins from DE that went through a decoiner. Here is a 5 DM piece for example:

gallery_35_74_9076.jpg

(And here http://www.coinpeople.com/uploads/11298488...5_74_108775.jpg is a bag of notes that went through a shredder.) But if one wants to get any decoined pieces from DE these days ... I don't know any place where they can be had as free giveaways.

The portrait of the young Wilhelmina is nice. Better than that of Beatrix methinks. :lol:

Christian