CoinPeople.com

Cabinda coins?

cowhodan

My guess is that the FLEC may have produced this currency as part of its independance campaign against Angola. Not sure you could spend it anywhere. Pretty sad story, and a pretty nasty place to be. It is one of the less publicized stories of African politics/war/atrocities, but I suppose things have to be beyond awful to get much press when you are in competition with the horrors in neighboring countries.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Just metal pieces like all the pattern euros that have appeared or real coins from a new place like the Nagorno Karabakh coins?

These are just as real as the "coins" of Nagorno-Karabakh. :ninja:

Most propably they have absolutely nothing to do with the Cabinda region.

I believe that Nagorno-Karabakh is in the Krause catalog. Is Cabinda in there as well? What is Krause's criteria for entry into the catalog?

The civil war can be a criteria, there are plenty of civil wars issues in Krause.

I believe that Nagorno-Karabakh is in the Krause catalog. Is Cabinda in there as well? What is Krause's criteria for entry into the catalog?

I have no idea about their criterias. I'm just saying that being listed in the Krause catalog doesn't necessarily mean that they are real coins. See the new Spitzbergen tokens for example. Only issues of 1946 and 1993 are real, later ones are pure bs. They have been removed from the newest edition.

Nagorno-Karabakh coins are only little medals which have never circulated as money in Nagorno-Karabakh

- and surely never will. The small denominations of Congo DR and North-Korea look like being minted in the same place and designed by the same designer. They are also made purely for collectors.

Nagorno-Karabakh coins are only little medals which have never circulated as money in Nagorno-Karabakh

- and surely never will.

The Schön catalog of world coins does not have a Cabinda entry but has Nagorno-Karabakh. It differentiates though: The N-K aluminum and brass issues dated 2004 and made by Mincovna Kremnica (SK) are listed first. Then it has various issues in a Pieces with fictitious face values section: silver and gold "coins" dated 1998-2004 and made by "Solidarity Mint" Los Angeles (US). The latter were most likely made for collectors outside Nagorno-Karabakh only. Now whether those 2004 base metal pieces actually circulate there ... well, I doubt it. :ninja:

Christian

Sorry to hijack this thread but I'm rather interested in these coins from NIGHTINGALE ISLAND & GOUGH ISLAND lower down on that same link http://www.joelscoins.com/new2.htm#cabinda ;)

Speaking of odd coins :http://www.joelscoins.com/oops.htm#tv

Underneath the coins in the link:

Zambolyr.jpg

:ninja:

Archived