CoinPeople.com

Notgeld - Germany

Art

Just a quick comment on the two latest notes ...

Gothmund (part of the city of Lübeck) was and still is a picturesque village on the Trave river, with quite a few old houses like the one depicted (see "Haus in Gothmund" at the bottom). The motto underneath the two men is in Platt, not standard German. What I think it says is: (left) My small house on the waterline sparkles in the sunshine, (right) Put up with bad weather, above you a holy hand.

The second one is from Haderslev (German: Hadersleben), in the Danish region of Sønderjylland. In the 19th century the town became Prussian, and thus, in 1871, German. After WW1 the Danish-German border regions voted whether they should be part of Denmark or Germany. So in 1920 the German Hadersleben became the Danish Haderslev again. And the referendum is what the note refers to, in a mix of Danish and German.

Note the symbol below the 50, by the way - that means Pfennig but is actually a lowercase D. Refers to denarius, much like the d used in the UK before the country went decimal. My grandmother actually used that instead of "Pf" ... :ninja:

Christian

Just a quick comment on the two latest notes ...

Gothmund (part of the city of Lübeck) was and still is a picturesque village on the Trave river, with quite a few old houses like the one depicted (see "Haus in Gothmund" at the bottom). The motto underneath the two men is in Platt, not standard German. What I think it says is: (left) My small house on the waterline sparkles in the sunshine, (right) Put up with bad weather, above you a holy hand.

The second one is from Haderslev (German: Hadersleben), in the Danish region of Sønderjylland. In the 19th century the town became Prussian, and thus, in 1871, German. After WW1 the Danish-German border regions voted whether they should be part of Denmark or Germany. So in 1920 the German Hadersleben became the Danish Haderslev again. And the referendum is what the note refers to, in a mix of Danish and German.

Note the symbol below the 50, by the way - that means Pfennig but is actually a lowercase D. Refers to denarius, much like the d used in the UK before the country went decimal. My grandmother actually used that instead of "Pf" ... :ninja:

Christian

Great info. Thanks for sharing it with us.

German women ... :lol:

At least that is how the text on the obverse begins. The four lines are the second verse of the "Lied der Deutschen" written by August Heinrich Hoffmann. Since the name Hoffmann is a somewhat common one, and he was from Fallersleben, he called himself Hoffmann von Fallersleben.

German women, German loyalty,

German wine and German singing,

shall in the world keep

their old good sound!

(odd word order since I wanted to preserve the lines)

Interestingly the Lied der Deutschen became the German national anthem about two years after this note was issued. (The Federal Republic of Germany has the third verse as its anthem.) The other side shows Hoffmann himself, and Fallersleben Castle. Today Fallersleben is part of the city of Wolfsburg, NI.

And there's that pfennig symbol again. A little more "ornate" than a mere lowercase d ... :ninja:

Christian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...