Tiffibunny

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

905990.jpg

895390.jpg

896845.jpg

:ninja:

Its a little off topic, but I came across a book a few years ago during a haitus in collecting. I didn't buy it. Now I wish I had and I'll pick up a copy when I find one at a good used price. The book is American Venus: The Extraordinary Life of Audrey Munson Model and Muse. She's the model for many fine American sculptures, medals, etc in the earlier part of the 20th century. For example, she was the model for the walking liberty half. It seems she was quite comfortable naked (I did skim the book, pictures and all, I have no problem with naked ladies!) and shocked many in her day with her comfort.

In any event, its somewhat off topic, but I was surprised to learn so much about the art community of the period (and this is just from the picutes, I didn't read the text). Its a book that may not have come to much attention in the numismatics community, yet it is directly related to what we collect.

I hate to throw a serious note on this thread, but it is an interesting one. Now, if you want to branch out from coins into the world of the art medal----it really gets interesting (male or female, whatever your pleasure). Meanwhile, I just got interested in Swiss coins. :ninja:

Its a little off topic, but I came across a book a few years ago during a haitus in collecting. I didn't buy it. Now I wish I had and I'll pick up a copy when I find one at a good used price. The book is American Venus: The Extraordinary Life of Audrey Munson Model and Muse. She's the model for many fine American sculptures, medals, etc in the earlier part of the 20th century. For example, she was the model for the walking liberty half. It seems she was quite comfortable naked (I did skim the book, pictures and all, I have no problem with naked ladies!) and shocked many in her day with her comfort.

In any event, its somewhat off topic, but I was surprised to learn so much about the art community of the period (and this is just from the picutes, I didn't read the text). Its a book that may not have come to much attention in the numismatics community, yet it is directly related to what we collect.

I hate to throw a serious note on this thread, but it is an interesting one. Now, if you want to branch out from coins into the world of the art medal----it really gets interesting (male or female, whatever your pleasure). Meanwhile, I just got interested in Swiss coins. :ninja:

I have that book. It is quite interesting. Especially how the moralists were just about to score the great coup of Prohibition. While at the peak of their power, art allready predicted their downfall. The book does contain pictures of the Mercury Dime and Walker as well as many nude photos, so it is entirely apros pro to this thread ;)

Archived