CoinPeople.com

who here collects world goin pieces?

Doogy

hello guys!

I introduced myself on the main coin forum, saying i was interested in collecting world gold. I received a warm welcome from our very friendly members. I have a very small collection of three world gold coins since i started collecting (last week ;) ). Anyway, I'm curious to hear if anyone has any special gold collecting tips, and why you collect a certain type of coin. I'll probably focus on those that weigh roughly a quarter ounce of gold, that way i can get a wide variety of coins for my money. I look forward to hearing your comments, and i'll be sure to post coin pictures as i receive them

Regards,

Doug

:ninja:

Take a look at the Netherland gold ducats. I really like the Wilhelmina "Young Head" that was struck only a few short years in the 1890's. Then check out the early 1900's ducats and have a look at the modern ducats or double ducats still currently being made. Most Netherland gold coins are far more affordable than other modern day coins and for the most part are over looked. You will like the fact the Netherlands strikes their gold coins much thinner so the overall coin is much larger than most world counterparts with the same amount of gold. This gives them tremendous eye appeal. There are many gold coins in the world that are very attractive but I would focus on regular issues and stay away from commemorative gold until you decide what you prefer to collect. I like the 1/10 ounce (dime size) to the 1/4 ounce size as they are more affordable and still large enough you can enjoy the designs. Good luck with your new hobby and KEEP in mind the silver crowns and silver bullion coins now being struck throughout the world as many of them are absolutely stunning to the eye!!!

It was sovereigns all the way for me. But i also had an extreme fondness for guineas and hammered gold.

My only current gold coins are a very nice Austrian 2 ducat piece from the 1780s and a very battered and worn 1670s half guinea from the UK.

cool! I have just "discovered" the guinea coins, and I love the old world appeal of them. In fact, what do think about this one at auction right now?

http://i10.ebayimg.com/04/i/05/ed/98/d6_1_b.JPG

http://i7.ebayimg.com/03/i/05/e8/09/ac_1_b.JPG

The price seems reasonable, and i love the look!

thanks for weighing in

Doug

Take a look at the Netherland gold ducats. I really like the Wilhelmina "Young Head" that was struck only a few short years in the 1890's. Then check out the early 1900's ducats and have a look at the modern ducats or double ducats still currently being made. Most Netherland gold coins are far more affordable than other modern day coins and for the most part are over looked. You will like the fact the Netherlands strikes their gold  coins much thinner so the overall coin is much larger than most world counterparts with the same amount of gold. This gives them tremendous eye appeal. There are many gold coins in the world that are very attractive but I would focus on regular issues and stay away from commemorative gold until you decide what you prefer to collect.  I like the 1/10 ounce (dime size) to the 1/4 ounce size as they are more affordable and still large enough you can enjoy the designs. Good luck with your new hobby and KEEP in mind the silver crowns and silver bullion coins now being struck throughout the world as many of them are absolutely stunning to the eye!!!

thanks very much for the input on the Netherland gold. I like the idea of a larger/thinner coin, it seems you have more surface area to admire. I'll do some research this weekend!

thanks again!

Doug

Hello Doug!

I forgot to welcome you - silly me :ninja: Welcome!

As you have read the earlier posts made by other members, your collection is definately a splendid choice and indeed, a criteria of "turn of the century" is a very interesting idea.

As I have mentioned, you can check out the links that I have provided. Most European gold coins are VERY affordable as they were minted in terms of tens of thousands, or millions. Regardless of whether it is late 1800s or 1900s, they can often be bought slightly over the bullion value. Such examples are the French Roosters and British gold soverigns. I am not too sure if you like or detest gold commemorative coins, which might make a big difference.

A tip that I would recommand would be that you visit eBay's world gold coins, in which may help to inspire what you would like to collect. You don't have to purchase any coins - it is most definately educative and I personally think I learned quite a fair bit about world gold coin designs.

What I personally find is that while most European gold coins (except Russia) is fairly reasonable, most Asian especially Japanese and Hong Kong gold coins are at the extreme price tag. Perhaps if you would want an Asian gold coin at the end of 1900s, an excellent choice would be Chinese gold pandas or Singold (Singapore) series. PandaAmerica or Clark Smith do offer them at reasonable prices if I remember right.

If I am not mistaken, S. American gold coins could be obtained at a reasonable prices, but unfortunately I am not too sure as I don't actively collect coins from there and Africa.

Wish you the best of luck!

I'm not really an active collector of gold but I have a few of the common ones...

893092.jpg

895910.jpg

905801.jpg

895908.jpg

891752.jpg

Crappy pics most of them are old.

Tifibunny,

thanks so much for the scans! it really helps getting to see the coins themselves. Ironically, the Hungary 20 Kroner is in the mail on its way to me. I won it last week and i'm looking forward to it. From the world gold i've seen so far, the Hungary 20 Kroner is one of the better looking IMO. I'm looking forward to researching more styles of coins. thanks again!

Doug

Hello Doug!

I forgot to welcome you - silly me :ninja: Welcome!

As you have read the earlier posts made by other members, your collection is definately a splendid choice and indeed, a criteria of "turn of the century" is a very interesting idea.

As I have mentioned, you can check out the links that I have provided. Most European gold coins are VERY affordable as they were minted in terms of tens of thousands, or millions. Regardless of whether it is late 1800s or 1900s, they can often be bought slightly over the bullion value. Such examples are the French Roosters and British gold soverigns. I am not too sure if you like or detest gold commemorative coins, which might make a big difference.

A tip that I would recommand would be that you visit eBay's world gold coins, in which may help to inspire what you would like to collect. You don't have to purchase any coins - it is most definately educative and I personally think I learned quite a fair bit about world gold coin designs.

What I personally find is that while most European gold coins (except Russia) is fairly reasonable, most Asian especially Japanese and Hong Kong gold coins are at the extreme price tag. Perhaps if you would want an Asian gold coin at the end of 1900s, an excellent choice would be Chinese gold pandas or Singold (Singapore) series. PandaAmerica or Clark Smith do offer them at reasonable prices if I remember right.

If I am not mistaken, S. American gold coins could be obtained at a reasonable prices, but unfortunately I am not too sure as I don't actively collect coins from there and Africa.

Wish you the best of luck!

thanks for the warm wishes and the very insightful comments! I have managed to find a lot of turn of the century world gold on ebay, and i've learned a good deal already (i have TONS more to learn though). I agree that trends seems to indicate the Swiss and French Roosters are plentiful and rather inexpensive. I also like the Hungary coins, as I found a 1893 Hungary 20 Korona in BU condition; for $110, I think I got a decent deal.

I'm wondering why the Russian gold is so much more expensive, as you state. is the production low on these pieces, or are they so much more collectable, or something else?

I also won a 1/5 oz. commerative coin from Bermuda, i only bought it because the price was $90 and the condition was MS-68; other than that, i don't know too much about the comm. coins.

thanks again for your comments, I appreciate the input!

Doug

Hello Doug,

As you might have noticed, my active colleting area is Russian and Japanese coins.

Russian gold coins actually do have quite a fair bit of sad, if not dark history behind them. Taking the example of the last Tsar gold coin - Nicholai II. His gold coins was minted till 1911, and that was when the Russian economy started to crash. Soon gold was too precious to be wasted on coinage, and as the debts grew, gold coins were melted down and were made for foreign payments and war fiances. Knowing this too well, probably some mint officers ordered a hoard of gold Tsar coins to Sweden The Tsar was overthrown in 1917 and that was when Russia nearly killed the existance of precious metals in coins.

When the Bolsheviks took over the country and became a RSFSR regime, almost all gold coins that could be found were melted down and a new bullion gold coin was minted only in 1923, which was then known as the chervonets.

An example is here:

905515.jpg

The following year, RSFSR was then known as what we know as the USSR. The regime became a total totalitarian regime and people had to give up whatever precious metals they had. It wasn't much later than Soviet silver were gradually removed from the coinage and in 1930, there were no more precious metals in Soviet coinages. Whatever precious metals were kept were either melted down as bullion forms and sold overseas or kept in the vaults of the Soviet mints for future uses.

It wasn't until the Soviet Olympics that the Soviet mints could use their chances to mint their coins in various precious metals. In 1977, gold chervonets restrikes were once again revived and the Soviet mints started to mint at insane numbers. Once again, stashed gold Tsar coins were rumored to be melted down for such coinages.They as well minted insane number of commemorative coins for the Soviet commemorative coins, such as gold, platinum and silver. The problem was - the Soviet mints minted WAY too much coins - we are talking probably over 60,000 of troy oz of gold coins if we included the chervonetz and gold olympics. Metal prices went to insane prices in the 1980 and again, the once minted Olympics coins were sold back and forth, making the whole massive mintage in precious metals meaningless. The Chervonetz were then officially cancelled in 1982.

It was only a few years later in 1988 that the Soviet mints decided to mint commemorative coins in strict mintage figures. Often, mintage figures are quite low, averaging from 1500 for some odd coins to at most 40,000 for some silver coins. I guess they have learned their lesson of the shock result of the overproduction mint tragedy.

This alone is not the end of the story. Remember how the Soviet Union dismantled? This caused enough headaches for the Mints as they were basically left alone with almost zero support from the Government. Perhaps this was a bad idea since this meant that the Mints are now free to mint whatever they would like to as well as not limited to the metal specifications. As a result, Russian Mints started to mint ridicious coins which even includes 1kilo gold coin and 3 kilo silver coin for their record! You may check their current catalogue minted since 1992 here: http://www.cbr.ru/eng/bank-notes_coins/Bas...emorable_coins/

Nowadays, UNC Tsar Nicholai II gold coins out in the current markets probably come from the vaults of the Swedish banks. I seriously doubt if the Russian vaults still have much left. Now finally going back to your question of why Russian gold coins are expensive, one simple reason may be because no one has an idea of how much is left! There might be records that millions of gold coins were minted, but no one knows what and how much other gold coins were scrificed for the sake of newly minted gold coins.

Take a look at the Netherland gold ducats.

Hmmmm - now where have I heard that before ?? :ninja:

Doug, I gotta tell ya - not only do we share the same name, it appears we share the same taste in coins as well. There's just somthing about that purrrrty yellow metal ;)

The other folks have posted quite a few pics already - but here's a few more that may appeal to you.

1000%20shillings%20obv.jpg

1000%20shillings%20rev.jpg

1400%20Venetian%20ducat%20obv.jpg

1400%20Venetian%20ducat%20rev.jpg

1898%20Denamrk%2010%20kroner%20obv.jpg

1898%20Denmark%2010%20kroner%20rev.jpg

And lest I forget - the Netherlands ducat -

1595%20Netherlands%20ducat%20AU58%20obv.jpg

1595%20Netherlands%20ducat%20AU58%20rev.jpg

1992%20Neth%20ducat%20obv.JPG

1992%20Neth%20ducat%20rev.JPG

As you can see, there is quite a date range for these coins - they are still being issued even today. I have a thing for ducats :ninja: as you will likely find out, everybody else already has. Some time ago I set out to do something that no one had ever done before - to collect a date set of Netherlands ducats. Who knows, some day I may even achieve that goal.

If you'd like to read a bit more about them - CLICK HERE

Doug,

thanks for the very insightful info regarding these coins from the Netherlands. I like the idea of getting a larger coin with more surface area for my money; more space to have a beautiful design! :ninja: I have been researching Ducats and such tonight, and have found a fair bit of info. I thank you for your very helpful info, and look forward to learning more from you soon. have a great weekend!

the "newest" Doug

Ah thanks for reminding me, GDJMSP of the Dutch ducats.

Here is a picture of a Russian coin that is awfully similar to the Dutch ducats:

901680.jpg

More info can be read here: http://www.coinpeople.com/1-Ruble-1797-1801-Paul-I-t265.html

And here is the gold version on a Russian auction: http://molotok.ru/catalog/view_item.php?id_sell=9657452

(obvious such coins raised concerns in Holland and eventually the Dutch told the Russians off not to make similar or actually *COUNTERFEIT* ducats!!! :ninja: )

Nowadays, UNC Tsar Nicholai II gold coins out in the current markets probably come from the vaults of the Swedish banks. I seriously doubt if the Russian vaults still have much left. Now finally going back to your question of why Russian gold coins are expensive, one simple reason may be because no one has an idea of how much is left! There might be records that millions of gold coins were minted, but no one knows what and how much other gold coins were scrificed for the sake of newly minted gold coins.

The Nicholas II 5 rouble gold pieces are relatively inexpensive and fairly common here. There are always a few up for auction here and usually go between €50-60. I picked mine up for €58:

896964.jpg

Here are a few of my gold pieces:

FINLAND

896963.jpg

DENMARK

898989.jpg

NETHERLANDS

898990.jpg

GREAT BRITAIN

898988.jpg

Hmmmm - now where have I heard that before ??  ;)

Doug, I gotta tell ya - not only do we share the same name, it appears we share the same taste in coins as well. There's just somthing about that purrrrty yellow metal  ;)

The other folks have posted quite a few pics already - but here's a few more that may appeal to you.

1000%20shillings%20obv.jpg

1000%20shillings%20rev.jpg

1400%20Venetian%20ducat%20obv.jpg

1400%20Venetian%20ducat%20rev.jpg

1898%20Denamrk%2010%20kroner%20obv.jpg

1898%20Denmark%2010%20kroner%20rev.jpg

That second coin the Zechino from Italy is one of the most counterfeighted coins

you often see as offered for real

I wanted to buy one and was told by Coinforgery forum it was fake :ninja:

cool!  I have just "discovered" the guinea coins, and I love the old world appeal of them.  In fact, what do think about this one at auction right now?

http://i10.ebayimg.com/04/i/05/ed/98/d6_1_b.JPG

http://i7.ebayimg.com/03/i/05/e8/09/ac_1_b.JPG

The price seems reasonable, and i love the look!

thanks for weighing in

Doug

What's the price on it? I only get the pictures.

That second coin the Zechino from Italy is one of the most counterfeighted coins

you often see as offered for real

I wanted to buy one and was told by Coinforgery forum it was fake  :ninja:

You're quite correct, that one however is not.

1400%20Venetian%20ducat%20slab.jpg

But that is exactly the point I was making in Doogy's other thread and why I am in favor of buying the more popular world gold coins already slabbed. Just about all of them have been heavily counterfeited. And yes that especially includes those typically sold just over melt value, with the British sovereign probably being the most heavily counterfeit gold coin in existence.

Archived