CoinPeople.com

2000-D Thick Planchet

Is the penny the same size across as a regular penny? Just wondering if it didn't get stricken has hard and didn’t flatten out.

The picture in the original post shows the cent alongside a regular normal cent.

Rick

I guess that came across wrong...What I ment was the same roundness of the reg cent.

I guess that came across wrong...What I ment was the same roundness of the reg cent.

Yes they are the same size on the small side of the taper, but slightly bigger on to the outside of the taper on the thick cent .

Sorry I mis understood what you were asking !!

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar question. I have many a lincoln cent that is not completely uniform in thickness. One side is thinner than a normal cent while the other end of the same coin is thicker, kind of lopsided.

The way to be 100 % sure if it is a thicker planchet is to weigh it. If you don't have a scale to do it I am sure a local coin dealer will weigh it for you. That way you can easily avoid all these "are you sure" questions :ninja:

This occurs when the sheets of metal are not uniformly flattened as they go through the rollers. I've seen many of these on the bay, referred to as piefort cents.

Also the differences in thickness could be caused by the hammer die being a smidgeon loose. Thus, when it comes down on the planchet the force may not be evenly divided amonst the planchets surface. Also, to acquire the square edges is the hard part to figure out. Maybe lack of pressure, ie a strong enough to make an impression, but not a full stregth strike. But, unless it is VERY dramatic, most lincoln cent planchet varieties aren't worth the 2x2 they are put in. Trust me, I have a fortune in 2x2ed face value lincoln cents just due to a small error somewhere upon the coin. LOL

Just a thought, is the cent magnetic? I know US cents aren't magnetic, but if it was a foriegn planchet that got into the lincoln presses, you never know. Colombia is one country I can think of off the top of my head that uses(used) steel coated or bonded copper planchets (which are magnetic). Also, see if you can weight it somewhere (that allows grahams reading to the hundredth of a gram). US coins are almost always spot on the weight specs.

I had a similar question.  I have many a lincoln cent that is not completely uniform in thickness.  One side is thinner than a normal cent while the other end of the same coin is thicker, kind of lopsided.

I see tons like those all the time.

As I was going thru some proof cents the other day, I notice that some of them are very thick, even compared to other proof cents, Im beginning to think this maybe a Business strike coin struck on a planchet intended for a proof coin ?

Any thoughts ??

Rick