CoinPeople.com

The Middles Ages

mmarotta

I can't resist one tangential observation about the role of art. I started reading the new biography of the Beatles this evening and the author opens with a quote from Plato. (I know, he's earlier than medieval, but still relevant to the discussion.)

When the mode of music changes, the walls of the city shake.

Do ya think he was trying to say that they played too loud ? :ninja:

Let's try one that is from the medieval period -

In the early 14th century the Abbot of Tournai, Gilles Li Muisis, made a rather astute comment. En monnoies est li cose moult obscure Elles vont haut et bas, se ne set-on que faire Quand on guide wagnier, on troeve le contraire.

Translation - "Coins are the most obscure things. Their value rises and falls, and one does not know what to do. When one thinks that he has gained, he finds the contrary - that he has lost".

I think this comment is extremely appropriate for today's world. Of course the reason it was appropriate then is entirely different than the reason it is appropriate today. All the same, it still applies even 800 years later.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Of course the reason it was appropriate then is entirely different than the reason it is appropriate today.

Wouldn't it be the greed of those who control the money supply in either case?

Wouldn't it be the greed of those who control the money supply in either case?

Since you mentioned that it made me realize that yes it certainly could be. But I was looking at it from a different perspective in regard to todays world - I was looking through the eyes of a collector instead of the eyes of one who uses money for commerce.

Archived