CoinPeople.com

INTRODUCTION OF NEW MANAT

Tiffibunny

Here is another article about the New Manat. Better images, but fewer denominations depicted.

http://www.bakutoday.net/view.php?d=15580

And yes, these (particularly the designs of the notes) remind me of the euro too.

http://www.bakutoday.net/resimler/newmanat.jpg

Quote: "The new banknotes and coins, printed by an Austrian company, were designed by Austrian expert Robert Kalina, who also developed Euro’s design."

Oh well, why not. Guess they are still "different" enough to not be mixed up ...

Christian

• 1 month later...

hmmm...almost 3 months since release, and these notes are still pretty tough to find. the only note for sale on ebay right now is one seller selling one 1-manat bill. a couple days ago, there was a different seller with just a few 5-manat bills. i wonder why this series is so hard to obtain...

• 2 weeks later...

Seems it takes a while until all the notes are released. From one of those articles: "(...)the bank plans to make three emissions of new notes and coins in 2006. During phase one, which began on January 1 and is still underway, the bank has circulated one and five manat notes and all the gapik coins. Phase two, scheduled to begin in March, will see ten and 20 manat notes issued, followed by 50 and 100 manat notes in April." http://www.iwpr.net/?p=crs&s=f&o=259471

So be patient. :ninja:

Christian

• 2 months later...
I sure hope they weren't made with nearly-identical specifications for the coins. I find it neat that they're got a .03 coin

1 qapik vs. 1 cent (Euro)

virtually exact same diameter, qapik slightly thicker

post-43-1148499392.jpg

3 qapik vs. 2 cent (Euro)

virtually identical

post-43-1148498562.jpg

5 qapik vs. 10 cent (Euro)

virtually identical, including saw-tooth reeding, but different metals

post-43-1148498574.jpg

I sure hope they weren't made with nearly-identical specifications for the coins. I find it neat that they're got a .03 coin

10 qapik vs. 20 cent (Euro)

virtually identical

post-43-1148499087.jpg

20 qapik vs. 50 cent (Euro)

slightly larger, slightly thinner

20 qapik vs. 1 Euro

slightly larger, slightly thinner, same alternating reeded edge

post-43-1148499097.jpg

Thanks for these images! They do indeed look like siblings if not twins. Could not view the larger images (when I click on one of the thumbnails, all I get is a screenful of characters) but the similarity is striking. Well, as a coin collector I would not really mind getting one of these new coins in change here in "Euroland". But it would be interesting to know whether vending machines would accept these ...

Christian

Archived