CoinPeople.com

Some coins from Italy

syzygy

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It looks like ghosting to me.  Is the coin medal alignment or coin alignment?? Looking at the ghosting, I would bet coin alignment.

Yup, you're totaly right : coin alignment.

Ghosting occurs because the large obverse bust must displace a large amount of metal during the strike, which leaves a "soft spot" on the reverse.  This effect is very common on the UK large bronze pennies, especially those of Edward VII & George V.

Sure makes sense, thanks for the info

My current favorite Italian...

903323.jpg

1911-R Italy 10 Centesimi Vitorio Emanuele III, Copper, 50th Anniversary of the Kingdom. One year type. Mintage 2 million.

Sweet...Looks like the design is also used on a silver 2L (KM#52), a silver 5L (KM#53) and a gold 50L (KM#54). Would make a nice little set.

Here are some more, nothing spectacular, but some nice coins (IMO).

An MS specimen of this first example is currently doing very well in the PCI.

1908-R 20 centesimi KM #44

906233.jpg

1922-R 1 Lire KM #62

906212.jpg

These next two are stainless steel - relatively low-relief and a huge pain to photograph, well for me anyways.

1963-R 50 Lire KM #95

906217.jpg

1974 100 Lire Commemorating the birth of Marconi KM#102

906149.jpg

We have had discussions about coins on coins and coins on stamps - here is a coin, commemorating a stamp show :ninja:

1992 200 Lire Stamp exposition commemorative KM #151

906219.jpg

A nice bimetal...

1982 500 Lire KM #111

906218.jpg

The next two are aluminum with very simple devices.

1949-R 10 Lire KM #90

906229.jpg

1950-R 5 Lire KM #89

906214.jpg

One from the WWII era - seems like the artistry gave way to some hard and simple design lines.

1941-R 5 centesimo KM #73

906227.jpg

Finally, the very popular 'bee' coin ;)

1927-R 10 centesimi KM #60

906471.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is a KM #51 10 centessimi, it's part of a 50th Anniversery of the Kingdom commemorative series that includes a 2 Lire (silver), 5 Lire (silver) and 50 Lire (gold). I have been quietly searching for one of these and finally got one. I believe I have a second one of these and a 2 Lire on the way. I would love to have the complete series. It will get pretty expensive, but this is a beautiful design.

1911c10jpg4xq.jpg

Here is a neat new one from Italy, issued earlier this year ... Do not have it yet but that may change this weekend.  :ninja:

194r.jpg

194d.jpg

Christian

This is a great looking coin. I've really been enjoying a lot of the Euro designs. So tempting......

This is a great looking coin. I've really been enjoying a lot of the Euro designs. So tempting......

Don't do it Art, your country needs you.

This is a great looking coin.

Agreed - and I now have it. :ninja: Well, the really appealing element of the design is (IMO) not the stylized globe but the reproduction of the ancient coin. Most other coins shown in this discussion are attractive because of what the designer created, but this one looks neat because of, well, that copy. On the other hand, in general I like "coins on coins" ...

This €10 coin is part of the euro/star series which in 2005, sixty years after the end of WW2, was about Peace and Freedom. So the image of Pax with the olive twig and the cornucopia is appropriate, I think. According to the description, however, that is a sestertius of emperor Vitellius. Not that I know much about him, but I don't think he has much to do with a lasting peace.

This year, by the way, Italy will (among other pieces) issue a Da Vinci Code ... ermm, coin.

http://www.numismatico.de/files/it-2006-10e-davinci_189.jpg

Lousy image, I know - this is just the draft published in the Gazzetta Ufficiale (government bulletin). But it looks promising ...

Christian

Here is another interesting parallel. This year both Italy and San Marino issue collector coins commemorating the artist Andrea Mantegna (he died 500 years ago). For more info about the piece from San Marino see this post:

http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?showto...ndpost&p=161546

That €5 coin shows a detail from Mantegna's work "Parnaso", namely Mars and Venus:

http://www.anisn.it/scienza/evoluzione2005...es/parnassu.jpg

The Italian €10 coin issued on the same occasion uses the very same painting but a different detail - some of the dancers in the lower part:

it-2006-10e-mantegna_213.jpg

(Again, just the draft image from the GU.)

The other side of the coin from Italy will be interesting too. It features this oculus http://www.artchive.com/artchive/m/mantegn...egna_oculus.jpg that Mantegna painted for the Ducal Palace in Mantua, and has the face value in its "empty" center. Too bad that neither the Italian coin nor the piece from San Marino can be purchased at face value ...

Christian

Upgraded my km #51 with this specimen that is in better condition...

909224.jpg

I am almost embarassed to show this KM #52, the silver 2 lire member of the set - *sigh* all that damage and cleaning....what a pity. This is definitely a coin that I would like in MS!

909223.jpg

Great coins. The Italian 10€ really still impresses me. I think something with Euros will have to be my next collecting venture. Maybe just the basic set from each issuing country to start. Or perhaps just a set of 2€ coins.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived