CoinPeople.com

Some coins from Italy

syzygy

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A new acquisition. Added this very popular and very common 'Bee" 10 c to my collection. Despite its lack of rarity, I think that reverse is truly a beautiful design. While I have several, I wanted to get a higher grade specimen.

Italy

1921-R 10 Centesimi

KM #60

italianbee19215oy.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The centesimo is almost as small as the US trime (and a bear to image), but I am real happy with this example purchased very inexpensively at the Baltimore show.

italy1c1895rdd4.jpg

Picked up this one as well. Also nice, but with an unfortunate and distracting scratch at 9:30 on the reverse.

italy1c1867aj9.jpg

• 2 years later...

ahh italy, love the desings on these

970218.jpg

probably my fave, EF 1913 20 centesimi, with a planchet error, also have a 1914 but thats only in fine

967044.jpg

1921 5 centesimi high grade, with metal mix error

963522.jpg

1 lira, very roman

963850.jpg

one of my faves and one of my first pieces, 1939 50 centesimi

A 1970 Centennial of Rome - looks like a coin on a coin, but I do not recognize it - KM#101.

1970l1000lr8io.jpg

I just saw your interesting thread.

This coin was minted to celebrate Rome's conquest. In 1870, September 20th Italian army occupied Rome, capital of The Papal State. It became capital of the Kingdom of Italy, instead of Florence.

The obverse shows "Concordia" as depicted on an ancient Roman "denario", minted by Aemilia family, during I century b.C. On the reverse, there's Michelangelo's project for Capitol's floor

2006315235551_campidoglio_altointro.jpg

In case anyone cares what "FERT" means, I will tell you....

FERT = Fortitudo Ejus Rhodum Tenuit" which roughly translates to "His firmness guarded Rhodes"

This is a reference to Amadeus the Great (1249-1323) of the House of Savoy. In 1310 he fought against the Saracens at the siege of Rhodes.

In fact, there are many theories, about that.

Fortitudo Ejus Rhodum Tenuit, as you said, but also

Fortitudo et Robur Taurinensis = Turin's firmness and strenght - to show Savoias regard themselves as Italians, even if they came from Savoie (now, in France)

Fors eius Romam tenuabit = It'll destroy Rome, by luck - after a quarrel with the Pope

Foedere Et Religione Tenemur = Peace and religion keep ourselves joined together

Fides Est Regni Tutela = faith protects the kingdom

Fœmina Erit Ruina Tua = Woman will be your ruin - no, that's just a joke :ninja:

Archived