CoinPeople.com

Some coins from Italy

syzygy

I have had a few Italian coins for a long time, but nn the last month or so, I have been increasing my little collection. Browsing through my Krause catalogs, I can see a lot of very interesting material.

A work in progress and just for show-and-tell, here are some pics - these are all silver (.835).

This is one of my favorite designs. Awesome eagle.

1927r5llr6au.jpg

The second one is in much better condition. I guess it is an AU because of the 'bald' spots around the eagle's knee. I'm not familiar enough with this issue to know for sure. Does anyone have an MS of this issue for comparison? By the way, my Krause lists these as KM# 67.1 and 67.2 with no distinction (a typo perhaps). The 1927R does not have the 'FERT' edge lettering, so I am assuming it is the 67.2.

1930r5llr8yv.jpg

This one is just exquisitely ornate. I think Tiff had one on omnicoin and it really caught my eye - KM #98. Krause lists a PL variety that I would like to see!

1959l500lr7th.jpg

Even the edge is ornate and that is where they put the date (1959).

1959l500edge5lm.jpg

Here is a 1961-R 500 Lire commemorating Italian unification. Kind of a 'modern' design that I'm not crazy about, but still interesting - KM#99.

1961l500lr1th.jpg

A 1970 Centennial of Rome - looks like a coin on a coin, but I do not recognize it - KM#101.

1970l1000lr8io.jpg

Here is a Dante (of inferno fame) commemorative - what a mug on that guy - KM#100.

1965l500dantelr1nq.jpg

That's all for now, but I would like to post some more later. Anyone else have some favorites of this genre that they can post?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The second one is in much better condition. I guess it is an AU because of the 'bald' spots around the eagle's knee. I'm not familiar enough with this issue to know for sure.  Does anyone have an MS of this issue for comparison?  By the way, my Krause lists these as KM# 67.1 and 67.2 with no distinction (a typo perhaps).  The 1927R does not have the 'FERT' edge lettering, so I am assuming it is the 67.2.

From the way I read Krause, all of them should have FERT. The 67.1 will only have 1 star to both the left and right of the letters (*FERT*), while the 67.2 will have 2 stars on each side (**FERT**)

The 10 lire (KM#68) also follows this system, with 68.1 & 68.2.

From the way I read Krause, all of them should have FERT.  The 67.1 will only have 1 star to both the left and right of the letters (*FERT*), while the 67.2 will have 2 stars on each side (**FERT**)

The 10 lire (KM#68) also follows this system, with 68.1 & 68.2.

Thanks much - and after inspecting the edge with a loop, I can see the 'fert' on the '27, although it is almost gone. Both appear to be **

(man I love this place)

In case anyone cares what "FERT" means, I will tell you....

FERT = Fortitudo Ejus Rhodum Tenuit" which roughly translates to "His firmness guarded Rhodes"

This is a reference to Amadeus the Great (1249-1323) of the House of Savoy. In 1310 he fought against the Saracens at the siege of Rhodes.

In case anyone cares what "FERT" means, I will tell you....

FERT = Fortitudo Ejus Rhodum Tenuit" which roughly translates to "His firmness guarded Rhodes"

This is a reference to Amadeus the Great (1249-1323) of the House of Savoy.  In 1310 he fought against the Saracens at the siege of Rhodes.

Thanks - I searched and found the same translation that you cite many times. I would think that 'firmness' would be less accurate than 'strength' (as in forte) or 'determination', 'resolve' or 'endurance' (as in fortitude). Maybe I am missing the root though.

By the way, http://www.bibliomania.com/2/3/255/1171/22...1/frameset.html

gives several meanings for the abbreviation

F.E.R.T. The letters of the Sardinian motto.

Either Fortitudo Ejus Rhodum Tenuit, in allusion to the succour rendered to

Rhodes by the house of Savoy, 1310;

Or, Fædere et Religione Tenemur, on the gold doubloon of Victor Amadeus I.;

Or, Fortitudo Ejus Rempublicam Tenet.

Nice coins. I've tried to get Fran started on collecting Italian coins and currency - what with her being Italian and all. But so far no luck.

My favorite Italian ... 1966

896676.jpg

My current favorite Italian...

903323.jpg

1911-R Italy 10 Centesimi Vitorio Emanuele III, Copper, 50th Anniversary of the Kingdom. One year type. Mintage 2 million.

Oh, I have GOT to get one of those :ninja:

I agree, I like the boats. the eagle looks constipated sitting on a log :lol:

That's not really a log. I think it is called a Fasces . It is a a bundle of birch rods tied together with an axe attached. An ancient Roman symbol for authority, strength, prepardness - that kind of thing.

The US Winged Liberty dime has one on the reverse and was being minted at the same time.

wlreverse8gn.jpg

[erm how do you know what an eagle looks like when constipated? :ninja: uhh...... n/m ;);) ]

QUOTE(Ray @ Dec 21 2005, 03:25 PM)

I agree, I like the boats. the eagle looks constipated sitting on a log

That's not really a log. I think it is called a Fasces . It is a a bundle of birch rods tied together with an axe attached. An ancient Roman symbol for authority, strength, prepardness - that kind of thing.

The US Winged Liberty dime has one on the reverse and was being minted at the same time.

[erm how do you know what an eagle looks like when constipated? uhh...... n/m ]

OK I was just guessing :ninja:

gosh, now I see those two tgether, I notice that that" flare" is on AuldFartte's coin too :ninja:

And I can see it in person too now, when tilting the coin....

It's the bunny shaped darker area on the side with the ship.

On the other coin it's lighter than the suroudning area, but definitely the same shape. Something on the die surface?

I thought it was caused by my scanner....

It's the bunny shaped darker area on the side with the ship.

On the other coin it's lighter than the suroudning area, but definitely the same shape. Something on the die surface?

It looks like ghosting to me. Is the coin medal alignment or coin alignment?? Looking at the ghosting, I would bet coin alignment.

Ghosting occurs because the large obverse bust must displace a large amount of metal during the strike, which leaves a "soft spot" on the reverse. This effect is very common on the UK large bronze pennies, especially those of Edward VII & George V.

and here's mine, also 1966 ;)

896950.jpg

I'll try to redo that picture some day, it shows a strange flare on the coin that's not seen in person

Never mind ... I'm an idiot :ninja:

Archived