CoinPeople.com

US $20 series 1950

dc443

My mom tried to spend this today and got rejected. Upon close inspection I do notice the small red and blue fibers mixed in the paper, but since the bill is at least 50 years old I cannot be sure if this money is really fake or not.

Would a "series 1950 B" $20 bill absorb the counterfeit bill detector pens? What are the anti-counterfeit designs on this particular bill aside from the red+blue fibers? I see no watermark, but was there one? It's not in mint condition either, though.

thanks in advance.

They are still very much in circulation, I got a 1950-C from circulation a couple of weeks ago, it was actually printed during the first year of the Kennedy administration.

I am not sure what anti-counterfeiting measures they had on them besides the red and blue fibres.

without pictures, it's hard to say. but i've seen cashiers flag real bills as counterfeits just because they're unused to seeing the older notes. mostly the younger cashiers. if in doubt, take it a bank to exchange it for a newer note.

it catalogs for $60 in very fine (used condition), but there isn't that big of a demand for them, and you'd be hard pressed to find someone willing to buy a used note for that much.

for comparison, watch these auctions to see how much they end up selling for:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?s...prclo=&saprchi=

no watermarks on these notes. i can't say for certain that the counterfeit pen is accurate for the 1950 series, but here are a couple of reads i found on the net:

http://www.bankersonline.com/security/gurus_sec020204c.html

http://warcrygirl.blogspot.com/2005/07/hal...0-to-20-in.html

The only anti-counterfeiting features on bills before series 1990 are the paper (linen fiber with the blue and red threads) and the quality of the printing. It's difficult to say without seeing them, but it would be quite unusual to encounter a counterfeit 1950 series note in circulation given the significant differences in design from today's currency and even from the "old style" $20 notes. Most counterfeiters want to create fakes that will not draw attention to themselves, and trying to pass off currency that last circulated in the 1960s would not be an effective way to do that!

The only anti-counterfeiting features on bills before series 1990 are the paper (linen fiber with the blue and red threads) and the quality of the printing.  It's difficult to say without seeing them, but it would be quite unusual to encounter a counterfeit 1950 series note in circulation given the significant differences in design from today's currency and even from the "old style" $20 notes.  Most counterfeiters want to create fakes that will not draw attention to themselves, and trying to pass off currency that last circulated in the 1960s would not be an effective way to do that!

I know when I get the older style small head notes now I give them a twice over that I usually do not give the newer notes. Face it, they are kind of a curiousity to get in circulation now. My 1950-C $20 rcvd recently was the oldest note in about a year, last year I got 2 1934 series $20's locally. I live in an area with a lot of older residents, so it is not unusual to see older stuff coming out of hibernation. Just wish I could find some Saint Gauden's $20's so easily.

Do you want it or not?  Try taking it to a local coin dealer if you just want to verify the authenticity of the piece, otherwise if you are not interested in it, post a pic here and see if someone here wants it.

Tut Tut, not yet eligible. :ninja:

Archived