CoinPeople.com

Cute Mouthless Kitten in Silver and Gold

tabbs

In case you have any money left shortly after Christmas, here is your opportunity to spend it. Tiff already brought this up here http://coinpeople.com/index.php?showtopic=5589 ... now the pictures are there.

Want Kitty on coins? Ask and you shall receive in abundance. Here are the three silver and two gold coins that the Monnaie de Paris issues on this, errm, occasion.

Three silver coins (900), face value €1.50, EU price* €41 each:

Kitty flying above Paris

10041238340000.jpg

Kitty in a Parisian café

10041238350000.jpg

Kitty shopping on the Avenue des Champs Elysées

10041238330000.jpg

The 1/4 oz gold coin (999), face value €10, EU price* €269:

Kitty at the Opéra Garnier

10041238320000.jpg

The 1 oz gold coin (999), face value €50, EU price* €912:

Kitty and her friend Daniel at the Galerie des Glaces (Versailles Castle)

10041238310000.jpg

*French sales tax (TVA) included

Most of these coins will be sold in Japan. But if for some strange reason you feel obliged to buy one ... :ninja:

Christian

It's happening for the same reason there will be a Presidential Dollar Series here in the US.

OK, I get the money making desire of the mint officials. I don't get why people would buy those instead of a denarius, a bust half, or any other decent coin :-P

I know, I know, to each his own.

OK, I get the money making desire of the mint officials.  I don't get why people would buy those instead of a denarius, a bust half, or any other decent coin :-P

I know, I know, to each his own.

That is for the same reason people will drink Segrams 7 instead of Bushmills or smoke an el Segundo instead of a Punch Gran Puro, as one deveolps a sophisticated pallet ones discrimination between what is good and what is pedestrian will inevitably become more refined and respectable.

I wonder how much did the Japanese black market paid to the French mint.

Is the Japanese mint too stupid to think of better commemorative coins to be minted in Japan? The Hello Kitty proof set was one of the most ridicious sets ever minted - with the exact same proof coins and with a new medal plus a new case, tada! A brand new record price for doing "nothing much"!!! :ninja:;) All you get in that mintset is a new medal and ohhhhhhhhhhh fancy packaging. So much for mad hello kitty collectors. ;)

What's next, Hello Kitty in the US, and you get the Hello Kitty 50 states version?!

Hello Kitty in Hawaii, Hello Kitty in NY, Hello Kitty in blah blah blah.

Oh boy, that's going to be a real expensive series to collect. :lol:

Well, it was either Hello Kitty or Modern French War Heros, but all of those were going to be just blank planchets. :ninja:

Sure, because France does not fight as many wars as some others. ;) As for the Kitty "coins", whoever likes them should buy them. Not me, though ...

The Monnaie de Paris knows of course that no collector is able/willing to buy all their coins. Its policy is apparently to issue a whole bunch of coins every year, and some collectors will eventually buy a piece here and there. (I'm one of those collectors ;) .) Voilà, profit made.

Christian

It could have been done more discreetly like on the US Dolly Madison dollar.

Yep, very "unobtrusive", that one. Last year I bought the Belgian Tintin coin http://www.honscha.de/bilder/10b04g.jpg (not colored, and the coin has something to do with the issuing country ...). Nice piece IMO but I found the "© Hergé/ML" disturbing in all that empty space around.

Now these ones are even worse! As for the size of that line on the €10 Kitty coin, well, that piece is fairly small anyway (Ø 22 mm). The €10 silver coins and the €50 gold coin OTOH all have a diameter of 37 mm.

Christian

For the past year I have seen I think 10% of all those Monnaie de Paris coins

of yonder years pass by on ebay Germany

Every week I see Lance Armstrong winning the 100 th year tour de france in 20 euro gold half ounce

I got my Avatar on ebay Germany for what was like 15% over spot 6 months ago ;);)

Now their 5 ounces gold at 99 pieces only are weekly on ebay Germany

So I think the Japanese did not buy all the coins :ninja:

I like this Kitty but would not even buy it on the secondary market

to much kitch for me

I am now watching the Secondary Spanish market lol

I just got Europa on the bull last week

http://boutique.monnaiedeparis.fr/is-bin/I...ricSearch-Start

gallery_97_64_11345.jpg

Now this is an intresting observation

As far as I know only France has VAT on gold even old gold napoleon coins

In Belgium I pay no VAT whatsoever on French Napoleons only the French do when and if they buy in France

Rumour has it they come and buy in Belgium and Luxembourg and Spain and Italy and Switzerland but that is only rumour I think

As far as I know only France has VAT on gold even old gold napoleon coins

You will know more about this than I do (I do not collect gold coins, with veeery few exceptions) ... But basically there is no sales tax if the coin is legal tender in the issuing country and if the price does not exceed 180 (?) percent of the gold value. The European Union issues a list of such sales tax free gold coins every year; this http://vddm.de/dokumente/2005.pdf is the German language version of that list for 2005, for example.

Christian

You will know more about this than I do (I do not collect gold coins, with veeery few exceptions) ... But basically there is no sales tax if the coin is legal tender in the issuing country and if the price does not exceed 180 (?) percent of the gold value. The European Union issues a list of such sales tax free gold coins every year; this http://vddm.de/dokumente/2005.pdf is the German language version of that list for 2005, for example.

Christian

In theory the coin has to be a coin legal tender past or present

The coin has to be post the year 1800

The coin has to have at least 0.900 goldcontent

The price has to be less then 170% i thought of the goldcontent

Notwithstanding all these the French in France pay VAT on their goldcoins

and Nothwithstanding all this there are interpretations circulated to the custom people ; interpratations you can only buy because they will not answer questions

Interpretations that made a Double Eagle 20 $ coming from Switzerland to Belgium subject to TAX and they could not be bothered to explain why :ninja:

Interpretations that made a Double Eagle 20 $ coming from Switzerland to Belgium subject to TAX and they could not be bothered to explain why  ;)

Well, I guess you could go to court for that - it was an administrative act after all. Problem is that the amounts we are talking about are usually not immense, so nobody would take it to court unless one is very sure about the legal situation and we are talking about a large volume ...

If many people are involved, now that may sometimes help. I remember one case, exactly two years ago, when a lot of collectors were charged customs fees (actually Einfuhrumsatzsteuer - import turnover tax) by German customs for gold euro coins from San Marino. A forum member asked somebody knowledgeable about customs criteria, tariff groups and such, then wrote to customs that he would like to get the EUSt back, and posted his letter to that forum. A few others wrote similar letters, and voilà, after a while, they all got their money back.

But yes, it is odd indeed that the MdP charges VAT for such gold coins ... :ninja:

Christian

I have paid VAT on coinsets etc from Monnaie de Paris boutiques, but when I went into banks in Paris I do not remember paying VAT on Napoleons, but this was a few years ago too.

I read the French reinstituted Tax on gold

However they invented a new name I see

http://www.aocchange.com/or-bourse-cours.htm.php

An 8% deduction on the sale

of which 7.5% is called tax on precious materials

and 0.5 % is called reduction of social deficit ;);):ninja:

La TMP

Les particuliers sont soumis à un prélèvement forfaitaire de 8% du montant brut de la transaction.

Il se décompose en 2 éléments distincts :

- La TMP, Taxe sur les Métaux Précieux : 7,5 %

- La RDS, Réduction de la Dette Sociale : 0,5 %.

• 2 months later...

Archived