CoinPeople.com

Making Books -- but not gambling

mmarotta

Here in Ann Arbor, we have a couple of places that teach bookmaking and bindery. One is fairly artsty, upscale and expensive. They have a story of crafting supplies mostly targeted to this. It is large and old and very established. The other places are spin-offs of that, instructors on their own, as well as individuals who learned it elsewhere and bring it here.

Also, we have an annual street fair for books and booking and the local libraries (U of M; MSU) come to show off their restoration work.

Does anyone have any need for this?

I don't know about your Breen's Encyclopedia, but I have been more careful with mine than I am with my coins since I saw one fall apart from actual daily use by a numismatist who actually used it everyday to attribute and identify. Anyone need to rebind their Breen's?

What would be nice is to get some of the periodicals bound into annual volumes. But, it seems like that's a relatively expensive proposition. Do you know any range for prices?

You can find binders for magazines at flea markets and yard sales. I suppose office supply stores might have something.

For library type binding, you are going to have to pay for someone else's time and materials, and so, yes, it will be expensive. Of course, you could learn to do it yourself. There would still be the investing in time and other resources, but you would add the ability to your skills.

Now that you mention it I do recall some machines that were relatively inexpensive. One more thing to add to the liost of thing I might have time for when I retire :ninja:

Archived