CoinPeople.com

1974 Copy of a German / Austrian medal

This one is 45mm and .925 silver. It has a serial no. Z 387 on the edge and there is a stamp incused into the surface (reverse) bearing `EBV 1974'. The designer is the Bavarian Franz Andreas Schega, and outstanding medallist during the period 1738-87 working out of Munich.

I know nothing whatsoever about this medal other than the above. Another item my chronic magpie-itis forced me to acquire a few years ago. It was immediately assigned to my `to be identified at some point down the line' tray. it's now some point down the line. Being a relatively modern replica, it can't be worth much more than its bullion value, but if anyone has any insight as to the `raison d'etre' of this medal' please feel free to chirp up.

Ian

unknown1obv.jpg

unknown1rev.jpg

Seems that the original medal was made to commemorate a royal wedding, or rather an imperial one (Holy Roman Empire). In 1765, Emperor Joseph II more or less voluntarily married Maria Josepha, the daughter of Emperor Karl Albrecht VII of Bavaria ...

Christian

Seems that the original medal was made to commemorate a royal wedding, or rather an imperial one (Holy Roman Empire). In 1765, Emperor Joseph II more or less voluntarily married Maria Josepha, the daughter of Emperor Karl Albrecht VII of Bavaria ...

Christian

Looks like you hit the nail on the head there Christian. Brilliant.

Maria Josepha died from smallpox in 1767, a mere two years after the event commemorated by the medal.

Ian

Archived