CoinPeople.com

Great Britain Trade Dollar

AuldFartte

Got this a while back and just got around to imaging it recently. 1900 Trade Dollar.

904392.jpg

I have one of those!

Since an American trade dollar is just too dang expensive I figured why not buy a British one?

Heck, the British design is also sooooooo nice!

Great coin :ninja:

How much do those run?  I may have to get me one of those.

I think I paid about $30 or so for this one. Got it from a guy in the local coin club.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
You know until i actually joined this site (albeit several years ago now), i had no idea Britain had ever produced Trade Dollars! (And i'd been a collector of Brit coin for over a decade at that point!)

Now that's funny ;)

Although I didn't know either until I saw this one at the coin club meeting and asked what the heck it was :ninja:

Have to admit I found that quite odd considering they had the pattern £1's from 2003 in there which are extremeley rare yet this more common coin is completely ignored

Patterns from 2003? Forgive me my latest edition of Spinks is 1993 (actually it was Seaby's back then).

The reason why Trade Dollars are ignored is because they're foreign. You'll note that the generic Spinks catalogue is England & UK. Thus it's really only dealing with coins that have circulated in England (and Wales). Scotland and Ireland i believe now have their own catalogue, there was a time when Scottish and Irish coins were included in the normal Spinks, at least they were back in 1985. However, on the current scene if the other British countries can't get a look in on the 'UK' Spinks, then what chance do the Colonial coins get? (Although note the presence of Third and Quarter Farthings in Spinks! Neither denomination was legal tender in the UK, neither was the Threehalfpence coin. Although the Half Farthing was.)

Patterns from 2003? Forgive me my latest edition of Spinks is 1993 (actually it was Seaby's back then).

The reason why Trade Dollars are ignored is because they're foreign. You'll note that the generic Spinks catalogue is England & UK. Thus it's really only dealing with coins that have circulated in England (and Wales). Scotland and Ireland i believe now have their own catalogue, there was a time when Scottish and Irish coins were included in the normal Spinks, at least they were back in 1985. However, on the current scene if the other British countries can't get a look in on the 'UK' Spinks, then what chance do the Colonial coins get? (Although note the presence of Third and Quarter Farthings in Spinks! Neither denomination was legal tender in the UK, neither was the Threehalfpence coin. Although the Half Farthing was.)

Here's the link to the 2003 pattern £1 coins (as posted in another thread):

http://www.24carat.co.uk/2004poundcoinpatterns.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Here is a picture of one I picked up a few months back, They are really nice coins.

It would not let me upload the photo here is a link to it let me know if this works. Thank you.

British Trade Dollar 1900 B Mintmark

I really like these Trade Dollars. I think I'll have to add one to my 2007 want list for later in the year. Maybe a good item for me to trade for.

I really like these Trade Dollars. I think I'll have to add one to my 2007 want list for later in the year. Maybe a good item for me to trade for.

I really like the design they used for it as well I think they ended up using a similair design on the 1903 Florin, when I have a free moment I will post some specs on the trade dollars, Spinks had a wonderful auction going on of coins from the colony's they had some trade dollars in it, but they were super rare and expensive.

Also be careful there are forgeries out there and a modern re-strike, the re-strike is easy to spot as it's proof like and the forgeries all have a strong weakness to their strike and a soapy look, I will try and find photos of those as well I know I have them somewhere lol

• 4 months later...

Here's a 1930 Trade Dollar

1930TradeDollarRev.jpg

1930Tradedollar.jpg

I really like these coins - the design is startling, almost like Nepalese coins

Archived