CoinPeople.com

1854 Large cent PIC ADDED

Dan769

Dan, there are 29 varieties of the 1854 according to Grellman's book, but I don't see any where a weakly struck date is an indicator of variety. Any other significant traits? Die breaks, repunches, anything like that you can see?

If not, maybe post a high resolution pic of both sides and I'll see what I can do with it. The late dates are sometimes VERY hard to attribute, though.

Dan, there are 29 varieties of the 1854 according to Grellman's book, but I don't see any where a weakly struck date is an indicator of variety. Any other significant traits? Die breaks, repunches, anything like that you can see?

If not, maybe post a high resolution pic of both sides and I'll see what I can do with it. The late dates are sometimes VERY hard to attribute, though.

What he said ^

|

|

• 1 month later...

Dan, I tried to figure it out for you, but couldn't.

The attribution features for the late dates are VERY small things like die polish lines that can't be seen with the naked eye, precise positioning of the numbers in the date, etc. It takes either seeing the coin in hand, or higher resolution and larger sized photos (of both sides - the reverse has differences, too) in order to properly attribute the coins.

I really don't have anything to add on attribution. It is quite difficult.

For a very modest fee -- like $1.50, you can send the coin to Bob Grellman and have it graded and attributed. I understand that he'll be at FUN but I don't know if he'll do grading/attribution at the show.

For a very modest fee -- like $1.50, you can send the coin to Bob Grellman and have it graded and attributed. I understand that he'll be at FUN but I don't know if he'll do grading/attribution at the show.

Now, there's an excellent idea. Bob Grellman is the master at late date attribution. He literally "wrote the book" on the subject.

• 2 weeks later...

You may want to bring this coin to FUN. Bob Grellman will be there and you might get him to attribute it at his table. He's a really nice guy.

Archived