CoinPeople.com

1945-D

Its "suggestive" (I know there is an exact word for this) but.....metal tells you that there is "something" there (and there just may be), but in actuality its just a dent or a ding. He has put that in your head and you believe you can see it....its like seeing the Virgin Mary in a tree trunk.....if enough people tell you its there....you'll "see" it too. Thats all.....nothing against Metal....just stating.

Its "suggestive" (I know there is an exact word for this) but.....metal tells you that there is "something" there (and there just may be), but in actuality its just a dent or a ding. He has put that in your head and you believe you can see it....its like seeing the Virgin Mary in a tree trunk.....if enough people tell you its there....you'll "see" it too. Thats all.....nothing against Metal....just stating.

Interesting concept !!

mass hyponotic-suggestion !!

Personally I give the people on this forum a little more respect than that !!

My question is and was what is beneath the 5 ,,not at all an unusual question when looking at over dates, or repunched MM and things like them !!

I see an 8 or at least something similar to the shape of an 8, as unlikely as it is for that to be the case, with the senarios being very limited how it could come to be there,, But the fact remains that there is something there! metal flow lines as has been suggested on another forum ,,but soemthing ?

The shape is raised not indented as you have suggested ,, but thanks for the response !!

Rick

considering this series was not made in 1948 I highly doubt that this happened at the mint....and with the rim damage shown..it is prob dmage. People do weird stuff to coins to try to make them more valueable....i see it all the time.. There are no overdates known for this date and after the discovery of the 1942/1 P&D's lots of people checked other dates and nothing was found....if this was an overdate....someone would have discovered at least one more....

A picture to help those that cant see it.

DSCF1522_3.jpg

I outlined the 3 or 8 that everyone is talking about and put a square around the ghosty 9 that Tiff mentioned

I see it, but cant say yey or ney.... even if I had it in hand.

-Bobby (Not a merc guy)

• 3 weeks later...
....if this was an overdate....someone would have discovered at least one more....

LostDutchman, I normally have to agree with you on most of your comments. But here is wehre you and I will disagree. There are MANY unique examples of various things in the numismatic world (Unique = 1). For approxamately 7 years, I was the soul owner of a 1990-S Jefferson Nickel DDO#1. I kept the variety's info to myself for about 4 years in hopes of finding a sister to go with it. But I met James Wiles at a Coin Show in Texas, and I allowed him to document it. If any of you guys have access to old Coin World Issues, you will see my name in the Collectors Clearing House, in an August issue (not sure of the date). You will also see the first publicized photos of the variety. But these aren't my photos, but photos of someone elses coin. Same variety though. And since that article came out, I have heard of the existance of a 3rd one of those. Which puts the population to 3. I search EVERY 1990-S Proof Set for this variety. And I have looked at thousands of them (I ask EVERY dealer at EVERY show I attend to look at thier proof sets). Also, James Wiles and Lee Heimke have search countless thousands of sets as well. Granted, If this guy and the other guy I have talked too had never had looked at thier proof sets, who is to say that mine wasn't unique? See where I am going with this?

As for that Merc being an Overdate, I seriously doubt it. 1945 the war was done, and the overdates minimalized. BUT.....If you are unsure, Check with the CONECA website and submit the coin to the proper attributer(sp?). It's minimal expendature money wise.....2 or 3 bucks I think. You never know....people primarily look to the reverse of 1945 mercs for the micro S. So, it may have been over looked all these years. But again, don't get your hopes up either. It could also very well, be a planchet flaw too (ie trapped gas bubbles). Which are frequent with dimes period. But, I won't make a call on the coin myself. I am like a mechanic......I need to see the item before I can even begin to diagnos it.

Oh and from another thread in the error/variety section, I will disagree with you about calling what you percieve as minor errors, not major. Major/minor, rare/common are all subjective terms meaning many things to many different people. I sold a 1973-D Jeff Nickel once for over $50 for a rim to rim die crack..... Major, not really, not by your discription.....it wuold have been a minor error...yet though people (and error sellers and bidders alike) bid on this item. So, major/minor is a subjective term. Maybe I'll get pics of an itailian error coin I have...triple struck no rotation of the strikes, from a die that had shattered....Real cool.....and I think we would both call it a major error. LOL

Anyways, I have blabbed long enough.....Oh and please don't percieve my blabbering as an attack LostDutchman, it isn't meant as such. But we also must remember that not all of us here on these forums are as knowledgeable as you and I. :ninja:

P.S. - I cherried 2 1977-D Kennedy Halves DDO#1 both in BU (MS-63) FOR COMMON MONEY IN A DEALERS junk box!!! dON'T EVER FORGET ABOUT THOSE jUNK bOXES PEOPLE.... BTW, according to Wiles' book they are valued around $135 a piece.....We'll see what Ebay bidders think of it in a few weeks. LOL Wished I had access to the rest of that roll these came out of. LMAO

Anyway folks, My uber long post is done for the day. LOL

TTYL,

Chuck

dacoinman

www.dacoinman.com (it's a work in progress)

ok, I now tend to agree with you about most of what you said....i have owned a few unique coins....and didn't really thing through my reply first...

the best thing to do...with this particular dime is to have either coneca or a grading company check it out

as for minor/major errors... an errors is an error but this is how I was taught by some of the big error dealers to distinguish between minor and major and is not dependent upon the price of the coin in the end.

Minor errors include things such as :small to medium die cracks, small to medium retained cuds, small die misalignments, small strike throughs (unless extreemely impressive such as a retained strike through) , die rotation of less then 30 degrees, machine doubling (damage or not call it what you will)

Major errors incluse such things as: off center strikes, partial and full collar broadstrikes, multi strikes, major misaligned dies, die caps, brockages, indents, shattered dies, overdates...

And yet I totally agree....thus the reason I am trying to unload all these "minor" error coins. As if you couldn't tell, if it doesn't pretty much reach out and knock the ever lovin "expletive" out of me, I don't usually even look twice at an error. My game is varieties (ie. anything that is done to a DIE that causes a change in the appearance of a particular coin (doubled dies, repunched mintmarks, high vs low date, large vs. small, etc). The only reason I prefer these varieties, is that there is a low number of them out there. Granted with the mint standards now days, off centers, etc (planchet & striking errors) are becoming rather scarce in themselves. But at that very same show I saw James Wiles, I also saw a table with about 250 2000-P Lincoln cents in a ziplock bag. Granted I went through them looking for a proof reverse cent, that way I could tote a double error. Well, an error and a variety, since the proof reverse is a DIE characteristic, not a striking issue. But I pulled about 3 out of the bag approximately all quarter sized. I think it cost me a total of $5. Now if that were a double die, when you get that many, especially in one location, you start nearing the area known as "Who Cares...". In other words, if I had found a roll of the 1977-D Kennedy Halves DDO#1, all in MS-63 or better, you can only imagine what that would do to the value of that coin.....It would drop it's value probably in half....So, I stick to die varieties....and normally I keep my mouth shut, but hey, I'm at work, and I am bored. LOL Just wished I had access to my scope, coins, and camera right now.....I gotta shoot some pics of that itialian fubar coin as I call it. LOL

Oh, and I picked up a VERY nice 1961 Colombian repunched date 1 centavo! And believe me when I say it is a repunched date! You really don't even need a loupe to see it. but a regular magnifying glass would even make it jump out at ya nicely. ;) Maybe I can get it shot and put up on my website. We'll see...I'll post if I do get it up there.

Well, smoke break....BBL (Oh and Dutchman, I did like your 1937d Buff.....I'm still looking for that elusive 3 legger...... :ninja: ) (I hope that was yours I saw about 3 months ago). LOL

Laters,

Chuck

dacoinman

www.dacoinman.com (A work in progress)

• 11 months later...

Archived