CoinPeople.com

Swiss Shooting Medals

Not enough people read this thread :ninja:

I'll venture MS 67 (a good grade to brag about) if you decide to let us have second guesses.

OK, second guesses are allowed, but no third guesses. Fair enough?

And no one has got it yet...

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MS62? Nice little contest...

WINNER!patrotic_animated_fireworks.gif

Yes, it graded NGC MS62. I was hoping for a MS64 but I'll accept the uber conservative grade.

And thanks to everyone for their educated guesses, this contest was really a cleverly disguised study in grading.

(sbvenman, please send me a private message or email with your mailing address. You silver awaits... :ninja: )

Congrats, Sbvenman!

Also, could you tell me what the evil M-pire's football record was this season? Which bowl is Michigan going to? :ninja:

Yeah!

Thanks again for the cointest! PM sent...

I'll plead the fifth to thedeadpoint's taunts. We all know the big blue didn't perform up to standard this year. It's amazing, though, that they have gone to a bowl every year of my life until now.

Yeah!

I'll plead the fifth to thedeadpoint's taunts. We all know the big blue didn't perform up to standard this year. It's amazing, though, that they have gone to a bowl every year of my life until now.

Haha. I'm sorry. I had to :ninja: You'd get taunted if you went to OSU, too. Other Big Ten schools - not so much.

Yeah!

My son graduates from the University Of Southern California this June (he actually completes his courses in two weeks, six months early, saving me +/-$24000, thank you son, I'll spend that on coins) so the ONLY college football team spoken of in Chateau HiHo would be the USC Trojans (FIGHT ON!) against the Other Guys.

And we usually beat the Other Guys... ;)

Your prize is packed and will ship first thing in the morning sbvenman. Two slabs of WWII silver, one from Denver, the other from San Francisco. From the Aunt Anna Collection.

(Aunt Anna lived to be 102. She never married and every time we visited her she showed me her coin collection. My father and Aunt Anna were my introduction to coin collecting.)

sbvenman, if resources allow please scan the coins and post the images here to prove that hiho is not entirely full of beans.

Only half full... :ninja:

A HAPPY and SAFE holidays to all!

Yes, it graded NGC MS62. I was hoping for a MS64 but I'll accept the uber conservative grade.

Interesting grade. I just returned from an auction with medals graded by NGC. I bought one graded MS-62 for more than the same medal graded MS-63 because it was nicer in my opinion and the opinion of those bidding against me. I bought the piece for my opinion of the quality, not the grade printed on the label. I would love to observe and question those grading medals for a few days and understand how they work. My piece has subtle scratch that might have produced the one point lower grade, but the overall eye appeal and appearance is superior to the one with a one point higher grade. I have a real problem with the application of the MS grading standards as it applies to tokens and medals.

I received a great package in the mail today!

Expecting to find silver in the form of Kennedy's or Washingtons, I saw two walkers gracing the inside of the package!!!

As promised, the photos to prove Hiho wasn't lying.

coins122008%20006.jpg

coins122008%20004.jpg

coins122008%20005.jpg

coins122008%20003.jpg

coins122008%20001.jpg

coins122008%20002.jpg

I must say I was thrilled and the informational cards are a great touch. Do you have a template for making those?

They have joined my fledgling Walker date set and have both jumped into their proper holes in my 2x2 binder. Thanks again, Hiho, for the cointest!

Happy Holidays to All!

-sbvenman

I must say I was thrilled and the informational cards are a great touch. Do you have a template for making those?

I'll post the template here or send it as an email attachment to anyone who wants it.

Cointest. I like that...

Happy Holidays to all!

Here is a pic of Richter 1273 (Martin 683)

It is from the 1900 Cantonal shoot in Amrisweil, Canton Thurgau

There were 400 example minted in silver and it is 45mm.

If I didn't have children who want new cellphones and other expensive Christmas presents I would have bid on that.

Beautiful medal.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year everyone!

The last I saw on 12/31/08 this thread had 24,998 views. That means between then and now (at this writing 25,007), we had our 25,000th view of this shooting medal thread!

How appropriate it came at the New Year. At this time, we also have 188 replies/posts, that in itself says a lot. I hope we continue to build upon that so this great hobby will continue to be enjoyed and adopted by others.

I am very happy that so many people enjoy this thread. I'm sure it is due to the fine content and photographs contributed by so many and, of course, because of Ian who started it in October 2005! The fact that the thread is still going strong testifies to the popularity of the Swiss Shooting Medal hobby. Medals from other coutries are also always welcome.

Let's keep it growing with posts and views.

Anyone with a shooting medal; please post pictures so others here at CoinPeople can enjoy it/them too!

I hope all have a wonderful and eventful New Year. :ninja:

• 1 month later...

Back in July last year I had the good fortune to strike a deal with a poster for the purchase of some shooting medals. These finally arrived with me last week, courtesy of a good friend in the US of A. My photographic skills are legendary......for being pure sh*te that is, so i'm sticking to using my trusty scanner. Even my poor skills can't dull the sheer majesty of these items. They are as follows:

1891 Bern (Burgdorf) by Homberg (ref Krause 63 / Richter 215) mintage 1,656 in silver

960079.jpg

1894 Bern ((Thun) by Homberg (ref Krause 68 / Richter 228) mintage 1,452 in silver

960080.jpg

1887 Geneva by Lossier (ref Krause 109 / Richter 628) mintage 4,354 in bronze

960081.jpg

1896 Geneva by Bovy (ref Krause 120 / Richter 691) mintage1,202 in bronze

960082.jpg

1890 Thurgau (Frauenfeld) by Bovy (ref Krause 228 / Richter 1250) mintage 4,500 in bronze

960083.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A recent addition that I am very proud to own...

1911 Olten (Solothurn)

Richter # 1131

23mm gold

??? struck (restrike of R1130a, only 60 of those were produced)

Engraved by Holy Freres

oltengold-1.jpg

oltengold-2.jpg

My photos do not do it justice. The fields are flawless and mirror like, easily MS65, maybe better.

Thanks again Rod! :ninja: