CoinPeople.com

Swiss Shooting Medals

Fantastic photo Rod, care to tell us how you got the reflections and shadows?

Looks like something from a Heritage auction catalog... :ninja:

I wish I could say I worked for hours in a program until I was satisfied with this outcome...but alas I cannot. It did take me a couple of hours until I got to this point and after I did it the first time I was able to duplicate a second version in about 20 minutes.

I was lucky enough to find a template for the picture. The template has the shadows and to a certain extent the reflection too. You do have to crop your pictures and size them, you have to flip your images and place them beneath the main image and then when you merge them into the "reflection" layer, you get the mirrored image. I then place my title and the rest is history.

I do think the overall image is fantastic. I got the idea from halfdollar here at this site and then upon further investigation I was able to find the original template by becokacoins, who like halfdollar is very gracious by offering their template for others use.

Thank you for the complement and I too think it is a very cool and professional looking presentation that I think I will be keeping for future use!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the compliment and I too think it is a very cool and professional looking presentation that I think I will be keeping for future use!

It does give the coin/medal a real museum look. :ninja:

Rod, your photos have always been good but these last two are truly professional looking.

The details you got on the Murten and the frosted cameo devices on the Munich, especially on the eagle's wings, are just amazing.

I come here sometimes just to look at your photos.

And with 22,751 views, so do a lot of other people... :ninja:

Thank you very much for your kind words Kim. :ninja:

Mine is a labor of love and I am happy that others, yourself included, appreciate the true artistic qualities of schützenfest medals.

I enjoy posting the pictures as well as learning more about improving techiniques of presentation.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting items in your current Schutzenfest auction Rod.

Paper jetons? I had no idea they even existed.

All have bids too. Must be pretty rare...

PS - I'm working a double shift on Halloween and hope you list a nice Holy Freres medal in the next auction that I can bid on with my overtime $$$... :ninja:

Interesting items in your current Schutzenfest auction Rod.

Paper jetons? I had no idea they even existed.

All have bids too. Must be pretty rare...

PS - I'm working a double shift on Halloween and hope you list a nice Holy Freres medal in the next auction that I can bid on with my overtime $$$... :ninja:

Hi Kim,

Yes, paper jetons are quite rare indeed. It least many of them are.

Jetons started out as metallic and then because of the cost associated they turned to paper (1880's), then evolved to stamps and then back to metallic issues. The paper and stamp jetons did not last many years because of the fragility of the material.

At schützenfests, jetons were used like money. A participant would purchase a quantity of jetons and then use them to purchase ammunition, meals etc. within the schützenfest grounds. He would also have to present jetons to enter the shooting stand of the shoot he had entered.

So, as you can imagine, paper jetons are quite rare because they were not issued for many years and because of the fact they are made of paper and thus have not survived in great numbers through the years.

In Richter's jeton book, many jetons do not have an associated cost due to their rarity.

On another note, I hope to have a Holy Freres medal up for auction in the near future.

Rod

• 4 weeks later...

First, background info and photos from a previous post...

1910 Bern

Richter # 263a

28mm gold (13.8g)

400 struck

Engraved by Holy Freres

250 VF/400 UNC (based on 2005 gold prices)

1910GoldBern-1.jpg

1910GoldBern-2.jpg

1910GoldBern-3.jpg

Now the fun part, a contest.

I finally took this off my nightstand and sent it off to NGC for certification with another gold coin.

It's back on my nightstand.

The first person who can guess the grade NGC assigned it wins a silver coin of my choice.

What is the grading scale that they use for shooting medals? I don't want to assume its the 1-70 scale we use for American coins.

Thanks for the contest!

What is the grading scale that they use for shooting medals? I don't want to assume its the 1-70 scale we use for American coins.

Thanks for the contest!

Same scale as coins, 1-70. One hint. It's not MS70...

Please post your guesses here, no private messages please.

First right answer wins. You only get one shot so make it count.

No one has got it right yet.

Obviously it's much easier as we go along.

So the prize just went from a silver dollar to a silver half dollar or maybe two silver quarters. Maybe three... :ninja:

No one has got it right yet.

Obviously it's much easier as we go along.

So the prize just went from a silver dollar to a silver half dollar or maybe two silver quarters. Maybe three... :ninja:

This is certainly a head scratcher. Whatever the grade, this medal is certainly mint state!

Nice photos Rod. Some day I'll go back to Switzerland and actually go to museums now that my kids are grown.

To review, we know the medal is not:

AU-58

MS-64

MS-65

MS-66

Someone is going to get this right...but who? :ninja:

Nice photos Rod. Some day I'll go back to Switzerland and actually go to museums now that my kids are grown.

To review, we know the medal is not:

AU-58

MS-64

MS-65

MS-66

Someone is going to get this right...but who? ;)

Not enough people read this thread :ninja:

I'll venture MS 67 (a good grade to brag about) if you decide to let us have second guesses.