CoinPeople.com

Swiss Shooting Medals

It would also be appreciated if you could show a couple more pictures including the end that would have been impacted to emboss the punch into the paper or other media. I would be interested as to the amount of wear on that end.

On a different subject, this is the 1,000th post of the Swiss Shooting Medals thread of this fine forum. Congratulations to everyone who has participated!    🙂

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

Thank you for your welcoming and also for the info! Congrats for the 1000th post to this thread!

The amount of wear on the striking end can be seen from the first photo, there is some flattening but not very important, which would imply either a short use on harder materials or longer use on softer ones (like paper). I see that the engraving on this item is done by hand (maybe Schuzengesellschaft was a misspelling?).

Interestingly, the iron body has some peculiar marks on two opposite sides. I think these may either come from forging the body, or from this die being held with a pair of tongs for striking something of harder nature (in the past the upper coin die was held with tongs while it was stricken with a hammer, in order to avoid injury if being directly held by hand).

On 5/30/2020 at 3:27 AM, Poise said:

Hello,

Thank you for your welcoming and also for the info! Congrats for the 1000th post to this thread!

The amount of wear on the striking end can be seen from the first photo, there is some flattening but not very important, which would imply either a short use on harder materials or longer use on softer ones (like paper). I see that the engraving on this item is done by hand (maybe Schuzengesellschaft was a misspelling?).

Interestingly, the iron body has some peculiar marks on two opposite sides. I think these may either come from forging the body, or from this die being held with a pair of tongs for striking something of harder nature (in the past the upper coin die was held with tongs while it was stricken with a hammer, in order to avoid injury if being directly held by hand).

I would think it was used for paper or leather, very unlikely to be used for metal. Regular dies were used for schützenfest medals. I would also be interested in seeing if they used the umlaut where required. It is unusual that there would be a misspelling especially that word although not unheard of. 

• 7 months later...

3rd prize awarded at the 1893 Cantonal Schützenfest in Winterthur, Zürich.

The prize was awarded in an elaborate case with 10 gold coins, 6 Swiss 20 franc coins and 4 French 10 franc coins. The reason the French 10 franc coins were presented was because at the time there were no gold Swiss 10 franc coins minted.

DSC_0001 - Copy.JPG

DSC_0004 - Copy.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

R606b Geneve (Soral)
AR 
37mm 
Mintage: 75 pieces
Rarity: RR 
Engraver: Magnin

A relatively new edition to the collection. I do not see this medal often for sale.

I am unable to post anything but very small poor quality pictures for some reason, for example, for this post, I can only submit a picture that is less than 22.35kb. Because of this, I have a link to the picture. The posted picture below the link is the largest (size) this forum would allow. It rather defeats the purpose of showing a picture of a medal when the person viewing can't see detail. If anyone knows how to assist me with this issue, please do not hesitate.

Picture of R606b - Geneve 1876

1876Geneve R606b-ccfopt (1).jpg

• 11 months later...

I wonder if any of you can tell me anything about this Swiss shooting medal as I haven't found much. NGC certified it as R-594var, silvered. However, I do not see it on the census report, nor do I see any others with this designation online or on ebay or similar marketplaces. The Richter book also does not list a silvered version of this one unless I'm just reading it wrong somehow. Thanks in advance for any assistance, just trying to learn more about what I have here.

Screenshot_20221104_124608.jpg