CoinPeople.com

Swiss Shooting Medals

Yes,  very happy to get the 1914 Luzern, especially in that condition.  I assume it's true for you as well, but it's very, very rare (and lucky) when I am able to find anything in such nice condition.  

I also really like most Ticino pieces.  I think Ticino has some of the most beautiful shooting medals, but so hard to come by.  I'd love it if you could share anything you have.  Especially if it is some of the older medals, which I never get to see except in Richter's book.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

R1724d

1859 Zürich Federal Free Shoot

• PB/SN
  • 41mm
  • R
  • Engraver: Sebald Drentwett, Augsburg
  • In original paper wrapper - RRR

Picture 1: The medal in UNC/as issued condition (other than 154+ years in a paper wrapper)

Picture 2: Shows the medal inside the original wrapper as issued.

1859 Zurich.jpg

122313001.jpg

R600a Geneve, Abbaye des Carabiniers
AR 
37mm 
Mintage: 100 
Rarity: RR 
Engraver: Samuel Mognetti / Antoine Bovy, Geneve

I am again, having difficulty adding pictures, the last couple I had to resize and now the quality is being compromised. Because of this, I am inserting pictures I posted on another site: this seems to work as a work-around.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4839.0;aindex.php?action=dlattach;topic=4839.0;a

17 hours ago, 49ermatt said:

Thank you for sharing these Rod.  That 1890 Frauenfeld gold medal is spectacular.  That must be a one of a kind piece.   I really like the 1862 Lugano medal as well.

Yes, the Frauenfeld medal is unique, it is beautiful and in fantastic condition. My Dad and I got this medal several years ago. It goes without saying that this medal is the plate specimen in Richter's catalog. In fact, my picture here is the same picture I sent Jürg Richter for the catalog. 

I very much like the 1862 Lugano medal but I am very happy and lucky to have 2 of the 1892 Glarus medals considering their condition and rarity. 

On 7/22/2019 at 2:09 AM, 49ermatt said:

Wanted to share some of the medals I just got back from PCGS:

37865507_Medium.jpg

R-889a     

1914 Luzern, 30mm, AR

PCGS SP67

It looks like he could step right out of the medal. Beautiful.

On 7/28/2019 at 5:28 PM, schutzenfester said:

R1724d

1890 Frauenfeld Federal Shoot

• PB/SN
  • 41mm
  • R
  • Engraver: Sebald Drentwett, Augsburg
  • In original paper wrapper - RRR

Picture 1: The medal in UNC/as issued condition (other than 154+ years in a paper wrapper)

Picture 2: Shows the medal inside the original wrapper as issued.

1859 Zurich.jpg

122313001.jpg

Unbelievable. How often do you come across medals with their original packaging?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2019 at 9:59 PM, thedeadpoint said:

Unbelievable. How often do you come across medals with their original packaging?

Finding medals in the original case is always a positive. I have been lucky enough to acquire some medals with the original winner's name tag on the case, medals with notes inside them regarding the shoot and or the recipient, and a number of souvenir medals that have their original price paperwork within. I have some very old shooting medals in their original paper wrappers as issued at the shoot. It is quite rewarding to find this type of paperwork included with a medal. But, I have to say that it is not common to find a medal in its "identified" original packaging

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if I'm doing this right, first time here.  I hope I'm in the right thread.

I've looked on-line and can't find anything on this token. I found it in my grandfathers possessions. The token is 22 mm in diameter and weighs 3.8 grams.

Any help identifying this token or finding some documented resource links would be helpful.

Thanks!

Bob

thumbnai2.jpg

thumbnai4.jpg

Hi Bob,

Welcome to CoinPeople. Glad you found this thread.

Your schützenfest jeton is from Lausanne, Canton Vaud in Switzerland.

It is identified with a Richter number. Jürg Ricther is a Swiss gentleman who has authored the foremost catalog of Swiss schützenfest medals and jetons. Each in a separate catalog and the jeton catalog being substantially smaller than the medal catalog.

Jeton information:

ID: R539a

No date
Composition: Messing (brass)

Rarity: common

size: 23mm

weight: 3.7 - 3.9 grams

catalog value:

Ex fine condition: 15.00

UNC: 30.00

18 minutes ago, schutzenfester said:

Hi Bob,

Welcome to CoinPeople. Glad you found this thread.

Your schützenfest jeton is from Lausanne, Canton Vaud in Switzerland.

It is identified with a Richter number. Jürg Ricther is a Swiss gentleman who has authored the foremost catalog of Swiss schützenfest medals and jetons. Each in a separate catalog and the jeton catalog being substantially smaller than the medal catalog.

Jeton information:

ID: R539a

No date
Composition: Messing (brass)

Rarity: common

size: 23mm

weight: 3.7 - 3.9 grams

catalog value:

Ex fine condition: 15.00

UNC: 30.00

You are the man!  Thank you very much!!

Bob

index copy.jpg

• 1 month later...

R1579ca Vaud, Yverdon
PB/SN
38mm 
Mintage: NA
Rarity: H
Engraver: Edouard Durussel, Bern

Note: although you can't tell from the pictures, the fields on this medal are mirrored, it is in beautiful preserved condition considering it is white metal. PB/SN is defined as lead and/or pewter alloy by Richter.

1880Vaud001.jpg

1880Vaud002.jpg