CoinPeople.com

Swiss Shooting Medals

Hi Rod,

I am so anxious to get my hands on the second edition!  A few questions......

How did you convince Richter to put your favorite Swiss shooting medal design on the front cover? 😋

Do you know or feel that most of the medal values have increased and reflected in the second edition? Yes

Do you feel that tying "vz-unz" values to a specific grade of AU53 and "FDC" to MS64 will be problematic for the collector? Not a collector that is level headed with common sense. 😉       But yes, I feel there may be some confusion/problems, especially now that you see so many third-party graded medals and the fact that many sellers are not educated in the Swiss schützenfest medal field, plus many sellers price based on "U. S. coin not medal graded pricing" and greed. Because of these factors, they feel the need to ask prices much higher than market just because a medal may be graded MS65 or higher.  I believe that ss-vz and FDC cover a wider rating/grading range than the specific grades mentioned by Richter. IMHO  

How did Richter come to those comparisons? As the author, (or any author for that matter) Jürg has made certain assumptions and decisions regarding content in his fine book. In this case, because it has been translated into English, he needed to come up with an English "translation" or value for the European "ss-vz" and "FDC" and in these instances, he gave them the AU53 and MS64 designations for the English language reader. As many would agree, AU53 up to MS63 would fall into the ss-vz range and MS64 and up would fall into the FDC range. There may be some pricing deviations based on individual medals but I believe that most serious schützenfest medal collectors would follow these guidelines.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One additional item to add to my answer regarding the use of AU53 and MS64 designations. Please keep in mind that the majority of Swiss schützenfest medals sold in Swiss and European auctions are not encapsulated therefore the ss-vz and FDC grades are not problematic to the average collector in Switzerland and Europe in regard to shooting medals. The vast majority of medals in our collection are not third-party graded yet many would grade above MS65 yet they would be sold as FDC medals.  Plus, the majority of schützenfest collectors reside on the other side of the pond, therefore any problems or pricing issues will be mostly from non-Europeans and from third-party graded medals.

• 1 month later...

I received a couple of copies of the new Richter Swiss Talers and Shooting Medals book this week - IT IS FANTASTIC!

Beautiful photos, many are enhanced/better than previous pictures. Many, many new medals. More content overall, new and updated pricing. Newly revised survival estimates for medals, and the best part in my opinion and what will bring this great hobby to even more enthusiasts - English translation.

The book should be available for sale early June. I made the decision not to carry them but I can tell you that Craig Keplinger-Keplinger World Coins (www.Numiswiss.com) will be and he should have some for sale very soon. 

Do not hesitate to buy yourself a copy, you will not be sorry. The book is great!

Here are a few pictures. 

The first just shows the difference in size between the first edition on the left and the second edition.

The second and third picture shows a comparison of one medal that now has been "upgraded" to a much better picture. This has been done extensively throughout the book.

The fourth picture shows an explanation from the back cover regarding the new content of the book.

DSCN1637.jpg

DSCN1638.JPG

DSCN1639.JPG

DSCN1644.jpg

9 hours ago, 49ermatt said:

Rod,

Thank you for the update.  I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of this book.

No problem, I spoke with Craig Keplinger of Numiswiss.com and although he does not have any for resale at this time, he hopes and feels that early June as the anticipated time period. Just stop by his website every once in a while to check in and see when they are up for sale.

• 1 month later...

Jürg Richter's new Swiss schützenfest medal catalog is now available for $145.00 postpaid at Numiswiss.com. I apologize for not having them available myself but I made the decision not to mess with the worries of shipping safely etc. I assume it is available elsewhere but I am unsure of any specifics for other locations. 

The catalog is a must buy for anyone with interest in Swiss schützenfest medals.

Just got my copy of Richter's new Swiss Talers and Shooting Medals book and it is fantastic.  I knew it was going to be bigger with expanded listings, but it really is quite a bit bigger.  It's really impressive.  I'm loving just flipping through it to see the newly listed medals.  Happy medal hunting everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have started a Facebook Group called richtercatalog The reference/repository for all things related to the Richter catalog.

The address: https://www.facebook.com/groups/richtercatalog/   

You must have a Facebook account to join the Group. If you do not have a Facebook account, joining is very easy. 

This group will allow fellow schützenfest medal enthusiasts to keep track of new medals not in the Richter catalog, add pictures of them as well as comments. Group members will be able to add comments and pictures regarding possible omissions and errors. You will be able to comment on anything regarding the Richter Catalog and Schützenfest medals and awards in general.

The Group page has "Documents" that coincide with each Richter catalog chapter so members will be able to add comments for the appropriate Document (Richter Chapter) so the added content can be somewhat organized and easy to reference.

When you leave a comment, you can also post a picture but only 1 picture per comment. After you press enter, your comment will be posted in that specific "Document", if you have another picture you wanted to post all you need to do is reply to your just posted comment, insert the additional picture and then click enter on your keyboard again and it will be posted. 

For posts that you do not feel fall into a specific Richter Chapter, there will be a Document called Richter General, this is can be the catch-all for those posts.

I will also have a "Document" specifically for anything related to Schützenfests in general called Schützenfest General.

Please go to my new Facebook Group called richtercatalog and request to join and then I will add you ASAP and you will be our newest member. The group is private so members will be the only people able to see posts. If you do not use the included link in this email, simply go to Facebook and then go to Groups and then search for richtercatalog (all 1 word). 

I hope that you join and that this Facebook Group can become an additional resource for schützenfest medal collectors and more specifically, a place where collectors can add and gain more knowledge in regards to the Richter Catalog.

Best regards,

Rod Moore

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I am brand new to this forum and know nearly nothing about Swiss shooting Medals.  However, an Uncle recently passed who was an avid coin collector and he left me several dozen medals.  I have no idea of the rarity, value, or overall desirability of having these medals.  I took them to a local coin shop where the owner pretty much dismissed them as worthless but my impression was otherwise as my uncle seemed to be very knowledgable about all things coins.  I thought, these should find themselves in the hands of someone who really appreciates them which lead me to this forum. My overall goal is to find these medals a home with someone who appreciates them the way my uncle did.  However, I would also like to receive some fair value in exchange.  I am so sorry if this is not the type of post encouraged on this forum.  If it is not, could anyone steer me to a more appropriate location.  I grabbed a random dozen out of the box and took a picture...not sure if that is helpful or not.

Thanks to anyone who can be some help.

A8F40C70-66A9-42DA-BD96-56E4773452FBremoteeb7a55cd69e76cc70946a86c61be92f3cdc752c6-1-original.jpg

Hi NewKid!

I can certainly identify most of the medals you have there and they do have value.  I would contact Craig Keplinger at keplingercoins@mchsi.com or our own Rod Moore who is a forum member here.  Both are honest and very knowledgeable on Swiss shooting medals.

Good luck!

Tim

Hi and welcome to CoinPeople. 

I should be able to assist you with your questions but better pictures of your medals would be required. 

Thank you Tim for your recommendation. As Tim stated, Craig Keplinger is a very nice and honest dealer of Swiss coins and medals.  

Thanks everyone for your quick responses...it does seem like a pretty small community overall but obviously very active.  I'll try to count up all the "Moore" pieces he has and let you know.  Rod, I'll send you some higher quality pics of the whole collection by email and see what you think...thank you all for being so helpful.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Note regarding R830 and R831 taken directly from the new Richter catalog:

"Notes: On the occasion of the federal festival in Davos, an honorary and free shooting took place on June 13 and 14,1836. Premiums were distributed for more than 1,000 Gulden (florin). In addition to rifles (Stutzer), cantonal coins (Dublone from Berne, Ducat from Zurich, Taler from Grisons etc.), medals were also awarded.

According to the official "list of winners" from the Grisons newspaper No. 47 of June 12th 1836, various medals were awarded in different value categories:
First prize is a gilt silver medal with a gold chain; furthermore a large gilt medal, then 2 medals in the value of 10 Gulden, 3 medals to 6.40 Gulden, 3 medals to 5 Gulden, 6 medals to 3 Gulden, 23 medals to 2 Gulden (in silvered bronze?) and 74 medals to 1.40 Gulden (in bronze?). In total 113 different medals.
It is extremely difficult to divide the medals awarded into the four reference numbers in this
catalog. Most likely, the last two price categories of 2 and 1.40 Gulden are the silvered bronze and bronze medals. The remaining 16 medals will then be distributed among the silver medals, whereby the two medals of 10 guilders are most likely the same as Ref. 830a."

• 3 weeks later...