CoinPeople.com

Swiss Shooting Medals

Hi Tim,

I have not seen it before and I am unsure about my Dad. I will show and ask him. This medal (30mm) is in Richter's new revised catalog. Actually, the picture in the revised catalog looks as though it is the same one as you show here. Some of the marks/patina looks extremely similar if not exact. Did you send him pictures of yours? 

Very nice looking medal!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, schutzenfester said:

Hi Tim,

I have not seen it before and I am unsure about my Dad. I will show and ask him. This medal (30mm) is in Richter's new revised catalog. Actually, the picture in the revised catalog looks as though it is the same one as you show here. Some of the makes/patina looks extremely if not exact. Did you send him pictures of your's? 

Very nice looking medal!

Thanks Rod!  I did initially forward the pics to a Swiss dealer who must have forwarded it to Richter.

I was not aware that Richter's new revised catalog was finally available.

Richter's catalog should be ready early 2018. Anyone with schützenfest medal interest should obtain one. The new catalog will have revised market pricing and many new medals that were unknown at last publishing date and/or not available to Richter for photography as well as added notes for many medals.  Another new feature besides the added content will be an English translation of important text including notes. It will be an indispensable reference for any Swiss schützenfest collector or aspiring collector. 

The first one was published in 2005 and the revised new catalog will be published in 2018. This is only the second edition so to speak but with 13 years between. The new edition will have many more medals, new content in terms of notes and explanation, and the notes have been translated into English opposed to the first publishing being German and French. 

There is no set schedule for updates, the author, Jürg Richter, is doing the new catalog because of the need etc. 

Yes, it is highly anticipated. If a person does not have the first edition and for that matter, even if they do, the second revised edition will be a must have for anyone with any amount of interest in Swiss schützenfest medals. 

The pictures are full size and in color and with the addition of English translations and so much new content this will be indespensible for reference. It is also going to have updated market values. 

4 hours ago, schutzenfester said:

Yes, it is highly anticipated. If a person does not have the first edition and for that matter, even if they do, the second revised edition will be a must have for anyone with any amount of interest in Swiss schützenfest medals. 

The pictures are full size and in color and with the addition of English translations and so much new content this will be indespensible for reference. It is also going to have updated market values. 

I for one am looking forward to the second revised edition as my original one is in tatters from referring to it daily.

Do you think that most of the new additional shooting medals are from countries outside of Switzerland?  I have come across Swiss shooting medals from Central and South America that were not on the original Richter book but very few, if any, that are original Switzerland issues.

Updated market values should be interesting.  Actual values should be up from the original book but no where near the fantasy prices some people are asking for on eBay.  Also, there should be some adjustments to rarity ratings. 

On 12/20/2017 at 1:50 AM, ttm5 said:

I for one am looking forward to the second revised edition as my original one is in tatters from referring to it daily.

Do you think that most of the new additional shooting medals are from countries outside of Switzerland?  I have come across Swiss shooting medals from Central and South America that were not on the original Richter book but very few, if any, that are original Switzerland issues.

Updated market values should be interesting.  Actual values should be up from the original book but no where near the fantasy prices some people are asking for on eBay.  Also, there should be some adjustments to rarity ratings. 

I would think based on the new Swiss medals that my Dad and I submitted plus the others submitted by yourself as well as several other contributors that I am aware of, that there will be a great number of additions to the catalog. Certainly enough for anyone to want the new catalog for just the new medals alone. I know there will also be many new International Swiss enclave medals too. 

I am aware of editing to the rarity ratings based on auction results, new data obtained etc. Pricing has been edited/adjusted based on the previous sentence plus some other information that is explained in the new catalog. All in all, this catalog will be greatly expanded in medal content as well as informational content. I for one cannot wait to get hold of a new copy. My old catalog is like yours, quite tattered. My Dad's is so worn out from use I gave him my only spare since my working copy was a little better than his. 

Certainly in the Schützenfest medal hobby, the Richter revised/new catalog is highly anticipated to say the least! 

• 1 month later...

Hi Rod and all,

I'm new to the thread, but have been collecting Swiss shooting medals for several years now.  I'm anxiously awaiting the release of Richter's revised edition.  Rod, do you know where or how I might be able to purchase one (or two) of these books once it is released?

Rod, I love being able to see some of your collection.  It's terrific.  Thank you for sharing.

49ermatt

On 1/27/2018 at 2:10 PM, schutzenfester said:

Hi,

I believe the new Richter catalog will be published near the end of March. 

I will be selling copies of the new Richter catalog. Please let me know if you have interest. I will keep everyone posted on availability and cost.

Thank you for the prompt response.  I'm absolutely interested.  I'll being awaiting any updates you have.

I do have one very lightly used  "very good" condition, almost like new Richter catalog that I will sell for $60 including shipping to the contiguous United States.

If you are have been on the fence buying a catalog then this is your chance to purchase one at the best price I have seen one offered at. If anyone is interested please PM me.

• 2 months later...

It looks like the newly revised Richter catalog is set to be published in May. I will update as I learn more in regard to exact date and cost.

There does not seem to be enough interest to justify me buying a minimum number of catalogs for resale. Therefore, if anyone is interested, you will have to purchase from another person/vendor here in the US or Europe. 

Here is more information from Jurg Richter's Sincona website:

Image result for ISBN 978-3-86646-162-8

"The Schützentaler and Schützenmedaillen of Switzerland

The second edition of the book by Jürg Richter, which has also been translated into English, deals with the history as well as the historical background of the Schützentaler and Schützenmedaillen of Switzerland. It has been significantly expanded, especially as far as information on the individual medals is concerned. Several hundred newly discovered specimens have been recorded, described and evaluated. More than 2,500 talers and medals from their beginnings in the early seventeenth century to the year 1960 are listed in detail and mostly reproduced. From engraved single specimens to medals with a circulation of several thousand copies, all pieces are supplemented with a rarity indication as well as two evaluations for the preservations "vz-unz / AU53" as well as "FDC / MS64".  For the first time in the more frequent pieces also a market availability has been determined, which should enable the collector to estimate how often or how rare a corresponding medal really is today. Three different index categories, chronologically by age, alphabetically by location, and also alphabetically by inscriptions, allow the collector to efficiently identify virtually any medal and look up it in the catalog. Thus, this book becomes an indispensable reference work when it comes to the determination and evaluation of Schützenentalern and shooter medals in Switzerland.

Jürg Richter

The fascination of coins and medals,
had Jürg Richter since his earliest youth
experienced. In 1985 he chose the profession of numismatist
and has since been in the lucky position, hobby
and to combine work.
Book publications and articles in journals
are witnesses of his great passion and enthusiasm
for numismatics. With the Vreneli Prize in the
In 2005, his journalistic work became one
special way honored. He is a guarantee of high quality
Literature. Therefore, one comes to him, the owner
the Sincona AG, not over, if you look at the
Numismatics of Switzerland.

2nd edition 2018 size 23.5 x 28 cm,
approx. 500 pages, colored throughout, hardcover
Price: 85, - EUR
ISBN 978-3-86646-162-8
Release date: Summer 2018"

I am happy to hear this news.  I've been anxiously awaiting this book for quite a while.  If it is released at 85 euros, that seems like a very reasonable price to me.  I'm going to have to get two.  I wonder how much interest this will generate regarding these beautiful medals.

Thank you for the update.

If you have read most of the posts in this forum topic, you know that my Dad and I have been collecting Swiss schützenfest medals for many years. I have seen a very positive increase in interest in the last 15 years or so. When I first got on eBay in 2000, for example, if you looked for Swiss shooting medals in the United States you would find perhaps 5-10 listings.  Now when you search you come up with hundreds of listings. The increase for international listings is proportional.

Schützenfest medals have always been extremely popular for collecting in Switzerland and also German shooting medals in Germany. Years ago, however, most if not all of our medals and cups came from Europe, primarily Switzerland.

The Martin catalog (1972) was a great success in regard to introducing a vast audience to the schützenfest medal collecting hobby.   The 1st edition Richter catalog (2005) was exponentially better and heightened the reference material for the collector with color pictures, much more content, rarity values, and pricing to better reflect the current market at the time. The new 2nd edition Richter catalog not only has over 200 new medals added but also has updated pricing, better pictures where available, rarity ratings based on mintage and attrition, and the best part is that this edition has English translation!

I believe that the 2nd edition with English translation will garner even more interest in this wonderful hobby than ever before. Now individuals will be able to research and reference specific medals and learn more from the notes about them. The forward of the catalog will give the reader much more information than perhaps they ever had before regarding Swiss schützenfests and their history, and just the fact that there is so much new content will spark new and renewed interest form the collecting field.

I am looking forward to receiving my copy and using it for years to come.

On 4/17/2018 at 4:22 PM, schutzenfester said:

Not released quite yet, supposedly May and 85EUR.

Hi Rod,

I am so anxious to get my hands on the second edition!  A few questions......

How did you convince Richter to put your favorite Swiss shooting medal design on the front cover?

Do you know or feel that most of the medal values have increased and reflected in the second edition?

Do you feel that tying "vz-unz" values to a specific grade of AU53 and "FDC" to MS64 will be problematic for the collector?  How did Richter come to those comparisons?