CoinPeople.com

Swiss Shooting Medals

Very nice medals. I like the modern look of these. A question: Is the origin of the shooting contests and the importance of this based on military things like a standing militia or on the need for accuracy to hunt for food?

The easiest answer is to post an excerpt from Wikipedia.

History[edit]

During the Middle Ages, many towns had to find ways to defend themselves from gangs of marauders. For this reason clubs and associations were founded, comparable to militias; these paramilitary associations were sanctioned for the first time in the Law for the Defensive Constitution of the Towns by King Henry I, and officially integrated into the towns' defense plans. Accompanying the military exercises and physical examinations of the towns' contingents, festivities were held combined with festive processions. Participants from other parishes and at times even the feudal heads of state were also invited to these Marksmen's Courts (Schützenhöfe). However, the self-confident spirit of the townsfolk that marked these festivities was not always regarded positively by the authorities. For this reason, different traditions developed in different regions. The military significance lessened over the course of the centuries and became meaningless with the creation of regular troops and garrisons for national defence. The Schützenfests however continued in the form of a regional patriotic tradition.

Coincidentally, when you look up Schutzenfest on Wikipedia there are several sections with one of them being "Medals and Decorations". I wrote this piece many years ago for my first website and then added to this Wikipedia page. Since then I have seen my "section" posted on many ebay auctions, auction houses etc. around the world describing schutzenfest medals, but rarely if ever do I see it contributed to Wikipedia.

Medals and decorations[edit]

Shooting competitions are a way of life in the Germanic regions of Europe, especially in Switzerland. The initial Swiss Federal Shooting Festival (Eidgenössisches Schützenfest) was held in 1824. Federal contests along with cantonal level, city, and club competitions have continued through to the present day.

Various awards for marksmanship have been won by the competitors. Shooting medals and shooting cups are the most common forms of award. Books illustrating and listing these awards have been published in Switzerland.

Swiss shooting medals were struck in a variety of metals including gold, silver, bronze, white metal and aluminum, with silver being the most common. Mintages are very low with the average mintage of the 45mm silver being 700-800 pieces. The scarcity of medals has increased over the years due to the awards being melted for bullion, being lost, and general attrition. The size of most medals range from 23 millimeters to 62 millimeters with 45 mm being the most prevalent.

Also minted to commemorate the Shooting Festival were shooting thalers. Swiss shooting thalers began mintage in 1842, and continue being minted today. They can be distinguished from shooting medals by their uniform size and temporary legal tender status.

Thank you. I hadn't thought of looking there for the answers. Appreciate your providing the info.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rod, you're making me drool... One of these days I need to go on your website again and add another to my (single medal) collection

While I presently do not have a retail list on the website, I do have medals for sale. Let me know some of your wants and I will let you know if I have any available.

• 3 weeks later...

Neat looking pieces Rod. They are super rare with those low mintages.

Yes, the silver and bronze are quite rare.

This medal was minted in:

AR - RRR

Silver plated BR - R

BR -RRR

Silver plated WM - RR

Wm - RR

I also have a silver plated BR specimen that I have posted previously here.

Rod, I assume you're one of the more accomplished of the collectors today?

Thank you for the compliment. I consider my Father to be one of the most accomplished collectors of schützenfest medals of this period. He has been collecting for 50+ years compared to my 30+ years. It used to be a rather obscure hobby but we are both glad to see the increase in popularity in the last 10 or so years! Richter's catalog has been part of the catalyst.

Thank you for the compliment. I consider my Father to be one of the most accomplished collectors of schützenfest medals of this period. He has been collecting for 50+ years compared to my 30+ years. It used to be a rather obscure hobby but we are both glad to see the increase in popularity in the last 10 or so years! Richter's catalog has been part of the catalyst.

So you are both named Rod? Does this cause any confusion since you are both collectors of Swiss shooting medals?

Do you often compete with your Dad for medals out there? If and when he finds a better example of a medal that he already owns, does the replaced medal find it way down to you, and vice versa?

You are so lucky to have the same hobby as your Dad.

So you are both named Rod? Does this cause any confusion since you are both collectors of Swiss shooting medals?

Do you often compete with your Dad for medals out there? If and when he finds a better example of a medal that he already owns, does the replaced medal find it way down to you, and vice versa?

You are so lucky to have the same hobby as your Dad.

There is some confusion occasionally, but mainly in the form of email, once in a while on the phone. For example, I may email someone and they think they are talking or replying to my Dad. Because of this I have over the years resorted to doing my best to identify myself on the onset. Of course most regular contacts know the difference in emails, phone numbers etc. but confusion has indeed taken place.

My Dad and I do not complete with each other in regard to collecting. We probably do compete, however in regard to who finds a great medal or piece of memorabilia. I would say that my Dad and I act as a team in terms of growing the collection. Although he has his and I have mine, we often look at the entirety as one collection so to speak.

I have been very lucky with my Dad being a prolific collector. My collection has grown due to gifts from him as well as purchasing from him. And yes, if he gets a better medal, then often times it is one of the two options mentioned that it may come into my collection. It is not very common for me to obtain a medal that is better than one my Dad already has but it does happen. I have given him a few medals over the years as gifts that I know he had always wanted or just never found yet.

You are correct, I am lucky and happy that my Dad and I share the same, great hobby!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

1958 Biel/Bienne, canton Bern

Federal Shoot

AR

33 mm (the medal)

Engraver: Huguenin, Le Locle

RR

Note: medal itself is .900 silver and the bezel is gilded .925 silver.

I recently acquired this rare bezeled example from the Federal Schützenfest of 1958. It is in outstanding condition!

Since it has a loop with clasp it would be quite difficult for me to show the medal in my normal presentation and since I have the below excellent photos, I will just show as is...

36132987951_e40921dc1d_o_d.jpg

Honestly, not sure I like it! But it does raise a few questions: 1) What is your newest medal? 2) Are you open to collecting every shooting medal or do you have self-imposed limits (e.g. nothing after 1950)?

Honestly, not sure I like it! But it does raise a few questions: 1) What is your newest medal? 2) Are you open to collecting every shooting medal or do you have self-imposed limits (e.g. nothing after 1950)?

Great questions!

1. My newest medal is the 2015 silver 50 franc thaler from Wallis. I have a PCGS Registry Set and will soon have to 2016 medal from Ticino to add to the set. Most/many modern schützenfest medals are not rare and many are unattractive and because of this, I don't actively pursue unless circumstances arise. And to be quite honest, I categorize medals in terms of old (pre 1930) and modern. I look at the artistic qualities of medals based on these categories often times. So I see the beauty of a modern medals differently than one of circa 1890's for example.

2. I am open to collecting every Swiss shooting medal but I know and understand that this is unrealistic since there are many unique pieces as well as unattributed ones still to be found. I can't say that I have self-imposed limits but my interests are as follows:

a. What appeals to me in regards to artistic merit.

b. Rarity; this is where I differ than some schutzenfest medal collectors, I strive to find medals of rarity regardless their artistic appeal to me. I rarely go for medals unless they are in excellent condition but if one is rare enough then I am likely to still pull the trigger depending on cost. My basic guideline has been are pre-1930 but I have to admit that I have many medals that post 1930.

c. I started collecting in 1980 and am as active or more than I have ever been. Presently, I collect anything that is Swiss schützenfest related, the love of the hunt, as for most collectors, is what still drives me and give me the utmost satisfaction when completing an acquisition.

I regards to the 1959 Biel medal above, while it may not appeal to you (I honestly do like it), its rarity surely outweighs its beauty in my opinion. The bezeled medal (pendant) is quite difficult to find especially in the condition of the one pictured above. There is also one that has a bezel and is a pin-back, that is also rare but not as rare as the pendant. And the most common and quite easy to obtain is the 33mm medal.

Great questions!

1. My newest medal is the 2015 silver 50 franc thaler from Wallis. I have a PCGS Registry Set and will soon have to 2016 medal from Ticino to add to the set. Most/many modern schützenfest medals are not rare and many are unattractive and because of this, I don't actively pursue unless circumstances arise. And to be quite honest, I categorize medals in terms of old (pre 1930) and modern. I look at the artistic qualities of medals based on these categories often times. So I see the beauty of a modern medals differently than one of circa 1890's for example.

2. I am open to collecting every Swiss shooting medal but I know and understand that this is unrealistic since there are many unique pieces as well as unattributed ones still to be found. I can't say that I have self-imposed limits but my interests are as follows:

a. What appeals to me in regards to artistic merit.

b. Rarity; this is where I differ than some schutzenfest medal collectors, I strive to find medals of rarity regardless their artistic appeal to me. I rarely go for medals unless they are in excellent condition but if one is rare enough then I am likely to still pull the trigger depending on cost. My basic guideline has been are pre-1930 but I have to admit that I have many medals that post 1930.

c. I started collecting in 1980 and am as active or more than I have ever been. Presently, I collect anything that is Swiss schützenfest related, the love of the hunt, as for most collectors, is what still drives me and give me the utmost satisfaction when completing an acquisition.

I regards to the 1959 Biel medal above, while it may not appeal to you (I honestly do like it), its rarity surely outweighs its beauty in my opinion. The bezeled medal (pendant) is quite difficult to find especially in the condition of the one pictured above. There is also one that has a bezel and is a pin-back, that is also rare but not as rare as the pendant. And the most common and quite easy to obtain is the 33mm medal.

Great, insightful answers!

I know the questions were not directed at me but will give my responses anyway.....

My newest medal was just received today, a 2016 Ticino 50Fr Swiss Shooting Festival. I have been collecting the "modern" Swiss shooting talers from the year 1984 until present. Because I started with them in NGC PF70UC holders, I have decided to continue with the same holders. Still need 1989, 1992, 1998, 2001 and 2007, if anyone out there has one available.

I collect Swiss shooting medals from any period although I do prefer the pre-1930's as I feel that the themes, detail and artwork were best during the mid-1800's to 1920's. I try to find medals in the very best conditions as I intend to have some of the rarer ones certified but will accept RR or RRR medals in lesser grades. My favorite canton for medals at this time is Ticino.

Also collect the vintage Swiss shooting talers, but that is a much tougher go as competition for gem pieces is very tough.

Good Luck Hunting!

I know the questions were not directed at me but will give my responses anyway.....

My newest medal was just received today, a 2016 Ticino 50Fr Swiss Shooting Festival. I have been collecting the "modern" Swiss shooting talers from the year 1984 until present. Because I started with them in NGC PF70UC holders, I have decided to continue with the same holders. Still need 1989, 1992, 1998, 2001 and 2007, if anyone out there has one available.

I collect Swiss shooting medals from any period although I do prefer the pre-1930's as I feel that the themes, detail and artwork were best during the mid-1800's to 1920's. I try to find medals in the very best conditions as I intend to have some of the rarer ones certified but will accept RR or RRR medals in lesser grades. My favorite canton for medals at this time is Ticino.

Also collect the vintage Swiss shooting talers, but that is a much tougher go as competition for gem pieces is very tough.

Good Luck Hunting!

Tim,

Your answer, other than the NGC slabs, could have been mine! Although I don't concentrate on vintage thalers, I do have many. And there is just something about Ticino medals isn't there?

I will keep my eye open for the modern Talers you are looking for and let you know.

Good luck with your hunting also.

Are the modern ones minted mainly for collectors and not really handed out at competitions?

Also, do the designs of the 1930s hint at the coming war? i.e. do you see more defensiveness, more "this is our canton"?

Are the modern ones minted mainly for collectors and not really handed out at competitions?

Also, do the designs of the 1930s hint at the coming war? i.e. do you see more defensiveness, more "this is our canton"?

When you say "Modern Ones", the modern 50fr talers starting in 1984 were and are minted for collectors. But schützenfests are still held and medals (modern ones) are still awarded. Many modern schützenfest medals do not have the detailed engraving and artwork of the pre-1930's medals although there some that are quite nice.

One of the most prominent themes of shooting medals is patriotism, it is a mainstay in many medals as well as military themes, military battles, people etc. but I can also say that you do not see hints of the coming of WWII in schützenfest medal artwork.