CoinPeople.com

Swiss Shooting Medals

Very nice medal :bthumbsup: but should it not be the Republic of the Seven United Netherlands 1779 because it predates the Batavian Republic(proclaimed1795) by 16 years? Unless the medal was struck that much later than its date.

Here is an almost unique medal(I only know of one other) which happens to mention the Batavian Republic.

984159.jpg

That is a nice medal above and yes, I was incorrect. It is strange because the first picture I finished I notated as the Dutch Republic or The Seven United Netherlands and then I did some additional reading and I did a new picture notated as Batavian Republic. I must have confused the date somehow being that my first notation was correct. I debated just placing Netherlands 1779 but I wanted to be accurate... :)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't bought a `shooter' for years.........until now that is. it was going for what I consider to be a `song'...and it was singing to me.

Fribourg (1905) Cantonal shooting medal, engraved by the `Holy Freres'.

Sorry, i'm still working from Krause's pocket book on the subject :) . Krause notes this one as having a mintage of only 300, and in silver. I suspect that Rod will tell me that Krause missed a few in his count and that the mintage was more likely to be 3,000 :). In any event I would appreciate any further info that anyone can provide from the more up to date reference books on the subject.

1030585.jpg

I haven't bought a `shooter' for years.........until now that is. it was going for what I consider to be a `song'...and it was singing to me.

Sorry, i'm still working from Krause's pocket book on the subject :) . Krause notes this one as having a mintage of only 300, and in silver. I suspect that Rod will tell me that Krause missed a few in his count and that the mintage was more likely to be 3,000 :). In any event I would appreciate any further info that anyone can provide from the more up to date reference books on the subject.

1030585.jpg

Ian,

Both Martin and Richter state a mintage of 858 which based on my years of collecting is a good number. Considered a common medal but still few enough to make you feel good when you are able to purchase one in good condition.

Congratulations on the nice pickup, it is always refreshing when you find a medal for a good price!

1030585.jpg

Ian,

As you are aware your schützenfest medal was engraved by Holy Frères of St. Imier. It was a medal of the 1905 Fribourg Cantonal schützenfest...

Size: 33mm

Rarity: Common

Mintage: 858 pieces

I would imagine that a mintage of 858 would have been quite a significant number, given the level of demand at that time.

Even now, I suspect that the number of serious `shooting medal' collectors world wide would number far less than 1/3rd of that mintage, rendering it `common'....or `not particularly hard to come across'.

i wonder what the level of attrition has been for these pieces over the years? Unlike coinage, it will presumably be pretty low, the items themselves being cherished possessions rather than mere trinketry (?)

I would imagine that a mintage of 858 would have been quite a significant number, given the level of demand at that time.

Even now, I suspect that the number of serious `shooting medal' collectors world wide would number far less than 1/3rd of that mintage, rendering it `common'....or `not particularly hard to come across'.

i wonder what the level of attrition has been for these pieces over the years? Unlike coinage, it will presumably be pretty low, the items themselves being cherished possessions rather than mere trinketry (?)

You are absolutely correct. These medals were cherished by their owners and most often also their families. That is why as you state, the attrition level of schützenfest medals is quite low. As far as serious schützenfest medal collectors; you may be indeed correct in your presumption although I have no idea myself, however, interest in schützenfest medals has sky rocketed in recent years. Increased interest though does not mean a "serious collector". I do beleive there are many serious collectors in Europe, Japan, and United States but in my opinion you are correct in your serious collector numbers.

Common medals used to be just that, common and relatively easy to find and acquire but in the last few years many common medals have become increasingly harder to come by and thus perhaps many medals that were once common are no longer.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked this shooting medal a while back and thought I would share here today.

It is from the 3rd. national shooting festival in New York City, 1868.

Very nice original toning.

National Shooting Festival Silver Medal
1868-Dated. Third National Shooting Festival in New York Medal. Struck in Silver. By Frederick B. Smith.
38 millimeters. 22 grams.

Obverse: Central design of the Coat of Arms of New York City, supported by a Sailor and Native American Indian, with a German legend, DRITTES AMERIKANISCES BUNDESSCHIESSEN ABGEHALTEN IN NEW-YORK, 1868.

Reverse: Large American Heraldic Eagle holding a Target in its beak, and perched on Crossed Rifles, all within a Circle of Stars.

I have seen this medal without the loop. The loop is pressed on the rim of the medal and the loop itself rotates freely inside the clasp. Originally the medal was awarded with a pin-back that was attached to the loop.

35470664163_7a2aaf3964_o_d.jpg

Very cool, Rod. Love seeing some American representation. Do you know where in NY this took place? How about scarcity?

The shoot was held in New York City but I have been unable to determine exact location thus far. The New York City Coat of Arms is being supported by the sailor and American Indian on the obverse.

I beleive the medal is somewhat rare however I have no specific knowledge regarding rarity other that the fact that I have rarely seen if offered.

At the risk of sounding a puritan, nice medal .........but i'm struggling to see the `Swiss' connection (?).

I can recall that there is already another thread, all be it, quite a short one (at least so far) within the exonumia section for shooting medals from locations other than Switzerland.

Might it not be an idea to encourage the development of that thread given that there are some amazingly crafted shooting medals in existence from around the world just waiting to be highlighted and, who knows, others might then be encouraged to post what they have in their collections relating to that particular theme?

At the risk of sounding a puritan, nice medal .........but i'm struggling to see the `Swiss' connection (?).

I can recall that there is already another thread, all be it, quite a short one (at least so far) within the exonumia section for shooting medals from locations other than Switzerland.

Might it not be an idea to encourage the development of that thread given that there are some amazingly crafted shooting medals in existence from around the world just waiting to be highlighted and, who knows, others might then be encouraged to post what they have in their collections relating to that particular theme?

The Swiss or German connection (Swiss or German or Swiss/German is what is unclear) is the fact that it is from the 3rd National Bundesshiessen of New York, meaning it is a from a shooting festival started by either Swiss and/or German Americans.

As far as the other thread, your reasoning is certainly a valid one and I will start posting shooting medals there that have no relationship to Switzerland, however I posted this medal for the reason I stated above. Using this same rationaIe I also previously posted a Manilla shooting medal; because it was from a Swiss enclave shooting festival held and awarded in the Philippines.

I would think that my posting of the shooting medal from the Netherlands falls into your reasoning about the other thread. Although I posted here because I like to show our fellow enthusiats an example once in a while of shooting medals from other areas/locales to compare to those from Switzerland.

You both bring up great points. I forgot there is that other thread - I'd love to see more contributions towards it. I also love seeing the broad reach of the Swiss culture, too. Very cool.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just seen a shooting decoration on ebay using the obverse image for the 1945 shooting fest Ostschweizer Sportschützenverband 1945.

Is Valis in East Switzerland?

Thanks for pointing me to this forum.

MARK

Hi Mark,

Valais is in southern Switzerland with the majority of the canton bordering Italy. The west side of the canton borders France.

• 6 months later...

Hi,

Anybody know when the Richter updates on Swiss Shootiing Medals values is coming out? It has been ten years since his original bible on the medals has been out and surely there has been changes and corrections to rarities and values as well as new found issues. Also, my original Richter edition is falling apart due to overuse.

Hi,

Anybody know when the Richter updates on Swiss Shootiing Medals values is coming out? It has been ten years since his original bible on the medals has been out and surely there has been changes and corrections to rarities and values as well as new found issues. Also, my original Richter edition is falling apart due to overuse.

I think we should anticipate a revised edition in mid to late 2017. Revised indicating updated pricing, additions of missed medals, and corrections/clarifications.

• 3 weeks later...

You both bring up great points. I forgot there is that other thread - I'd love to see more contributions towards it. I also love seeing the broad reach of the Swiss culture, too. Very cool.

Hi,

I was lucky enough to pick up this shooting medal recently. "Tiro Suizo Mendoza, 1. de Agosta 1898" in 28mm bronze. Not listed in Richter nor can I find any other medal listed for Mendoza, Argentina.

1898 Arg. Mendoza.png1898 Argentina-Mendoza.png

Hi,

I was lucky enough to pick up this shooting medal recently. "Tiro Suizo Mendoza, 1. de Agosta 1898" in 28mm bronze. Not listed in Richter nor can I find any other medal listed for Mendoza, Argentina.

attachicon.gif1898 Arg. Mendoza.pngattachicon.gif1898 Argentina-Mendoza.png

Nice medal Tim. I don't have that one but I think that my Dad has, I will check.