CoinPeople.com

Swiss Shooting Medals

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the story behind the beehive structure?

Neuchatel was and is known for its honey. It was an important part of thier economy, important enough to depict on the shooting medal I recently posted and was subsequently questioned about the presence of the beehive on the obverse. I also have a silver piece from the 1913 La Chaux de Fonds Cantonal Schützenfest that was a shooting award. It is pictured below for your reference. It is .800 silver with a gold wash interior.

DSCN1235_zps2b8041e4.jpg

DSCN1236_zpsd699301d.jpg

DSCN1234_zps39de4ce4.jpg

What is the story behind the beehive structure?

Neuchatel also made another shooting award in the form of a beehive for their 1948 Centennial Cantonal Shoot. This piece is made of pewter. Below is a picture of it next to the 1913 silver beehive. The pewter piece is made by PEKA-Paul Kramer.

DSCN1233_zps155589cb.jpg

1932 Basel, canton Basel

R151c / M100

Young Shooting Competition

Copper

35mm

Engraver: H. Wirz, Basel / Huguenin, Le Locle

RR

This medal is very difficult to find, let alone in the condition of this example!

Richter Note: Since the vintage was engraved, it is possible that different dates exist. Previously known are: 1931, 1932, 1933, 1934, 1935, 1936, 1037.1938, and 193(blank).

You can see by looking closely that the last digit of the year has been added as required, thus the explanation of different dates, specifically one without the final digit. Although I have not seen other examples other than the one in Richter''s catalog, it appears that the medals had 193 already engraved as part of the original minting and then the final digit engraved as required after awarded.

1932Basel_zps66a053bf.jpg

Wish I could photograph as well as some of the other forum members here. I can't so I will use the seller's pics in asking for additional information on this shooting medal that was just received.

R2091(sim).jpg

This medal is identical to the one in Richter's book as R2091 but instead of being 39mm bronze, it is in 29mm silver with a loop. Richter calls his medal very rare (RR) with connections to Argentina. Does anyone have additional information on this medal and also the association of Swiss shooting with Argentina?

Thanks and sorry for the quality of the pic.

Wish I could photograph as well as some of the other forum members here. I can't so I will use the seller's pics in asking for additional information on this shooting medal that was just received.

attachicon.gifR2091(sim).jpg

This medal is identical to the one in Richter's book as R2091 but instead of being 39mm bronze, it is in 29mm silver with a loop. Richter calls his medal very rare (RR) with connections to Argentina. Does anyone have additional information on this medal and also the association of Swiss shooting with Argentina?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply-

There are many Swiss medals that are not in Richter's catalog. His catalog covers as much as he could find through sources such as auctions, museums, collections etc. The fact that you have the silver counter-part of the bronze piece is not surprising and the fact that it is 29mm instead of 39mm is somewhat typical, since occasionally a silver medal is smaller than the bronze for obvious reasons. If Richter is aware of a medal but was unable to obtain a picture then he usually stated such.

I have a few Argentine medals that are not in Richter's book that are specifically Swiss or from a Swiss enclave thus the "Sociedad de Suizo" Although I have no specific data in the case of this medal, I would certainly classify it as RR, the same as the bronze although there are times that the bronze example of a medal is more rare than the silver. But due to the fact that Richter does not list the silver one, and although I have seen a couple over the years, I would consider it RR. The last one had a chance to purchase was not in decent enough condition to consider.

I hope my explanation helps somewhat...

attachicon.gifR2091(sim).jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply-

There are many Swiss medals that are not in Richter's catalog. His catalog covers as much as he could find through sources such as auctions, museums, collections etc. The fact that you have the silver counter-part of the bronze piece is not surprising and the fact that it is 29 instead of 39 is somewhat typical, since occasionally a silver medal is smaller than the bronze for obvious reasons. If Richter is aware of a medal but was unable to obtain a picture then he usually stated such.

I have a few Argentine medals that are not in Richter's book that are specifically Swiss or from a Swiss enclave thus the "Sociedad de Suizo" Although I have no specific data in the case of this medal, I would certainly classify it as RR, the same as the bronze although there are times that the bronze example of a medal is more rare than the silver. But due to the fact that Richter does not list the silver one, and although I have seen a couple over the years, I would consider it RR. The last one had a chance to purchase was not in decent enough condition to consider.

I hope my explanation helps somewhat...

Thanks! All this information helps immensely.

As if looking for Swiss shooting medals from Switzerland isn't enough, I have also been interested in Swiss shooting medals from other countries. Of the ones I have been seeing from South America and the Philippines, the general condition of the medals are often average at best. Must be a result of the humid conditions and lack of proper storage in those areas of the world.

When you do come across Swiss shooting medals that are not in Richter's book, do you send pics to his attention so he can possibly include it in his updated book or do you think he's pretty much aware of everything out there?

Thanks! All this information helps immensely.

As if looking for Swiss shooting medals from Switzerland isn't enough, I have also been interested in Swiss shooting medals from other countries. Of the ones I have been seeing from South America and the Philippines, the general condition of the medals are often average at best. Must be a result of the humid conditions and lack of proper storage in those areas of the world.

When you do come across Swiss shooting medals that are not in Richter's book, do you send pics to his attention so he can possibly include it in his updated book or do you think he's pretty much aware of everything out there?

At this time I do not send Jürg Richter pictures of medals I have picked up that are not in his catalog. Many of the plate specimens in Ricther's catalog are from either my Father's collection or mine since Jürg wanted to make his catalog as complete as possible while utilizing as many sources as he could. It may not hurt sending him pictures of medals that are not listed but at this time I do not believe Ricther plans to update his catalog other than a price guide update. Richter is certainly aware of a lot of schützenfest medals "out there" but at the same time he is certainly not aware of many.

My Dad started collecting the year I was born, 53 years ago, I started seriously collecting in 1980, 35 years ago, and we still come across medals we are not aware of and/or have never seen. That is one of the many aspects of collecting Swiss Schützenfest medals, cups, and memorabilia that has kept us collecting for so many years. We enjoy the hobby as much or more than ever!

Speaking of Swiss schützenfest medals from other countries I thought I would show everyone a prime and rare example of a schützenfest medal from the Swiss enclave in Mariquina, Philippines. These are not often seen and I was lucky enough to find and acquire this excellent example.

One year (1895) Manila, Philippines

R2107a

Sociedad de Tiro de Mariquina

AR

38 mm

Ricther Note: It is a medal of the Swiss Society of Mariquina. It also should be noted that this medal has a rectangular loop that is not shown, but only so I could present in my normal medal template. The loop is in perfect condition but if I would have kept it in the picture the overall quality of the presentation would have been inferior.

RR

a1895Manila_zps0c87a19f.jpg

Thanks Art

I think one could say that my passion for this hobby became an obsession quite a few years ago. I just can't get enough! :)

I personally believe it's important to have a few obsessions in life. :bthumbsup:

Although you can't tell by the picture and because I did not originally state this, I thought I could pass along that another positive about the Manila shooting medal, other than its rarity and condition, is that is has almost proof-like surfaces, a very nice example of this medal. Needless to say, I am very happy to have it.

a1895Manila_zps0c87a19f.jpg

1900 Zofingen, canton Aargau
R27a / M23
Mittelschweizerisches (Central Swiss Shoot)
AR
38 mm

Engraver: Franz Homberg, Bern

Mintage: 330 pieces
R

I was very pleased to get this rare medal in such nice condition. Only 330 pieces minted with very nice engraving on both sides!

35442235284_234bb943c1_o_d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

1909 Winterthur, canton Zürich

R1801c / M1079

Cantonal Shoot

BR

23 mm

Engraver: Hans Frei, Basel

Mintage: unknown

RR

While I personally have handled at least 4 of the silver counterparts with a recorded mintage of 78, and my Dad even a few more, this is the first time either of us has seen this medal in bronze other than listed in a catalog such as Ricther and Martin. The opportunity was there so I snapped it up. Being the only one I have ever seen, I was also lucky enough that it is in excellent condition. Needless to say, I am extremely happy to get it.

36233609146_bab214136e_o_d.jpg

Very very nice catch, Rod! I think I've seen you show off the silver counterparts before. I recognize the design.

Didn't know this was a family affair. How big is your dad's role?

Very very nice catch, Rod! I think I've seen you show off the silver counterparts before. I recognize the design.

Didn't know this was a family affair. How big is your dad's role?

His role is and was huge! Yes, I can thank my Dad for getting me interested in schützenfest medals Including a wealth of knowledge. He has been collecting since 1961 or so and because of this, I was around schützenfest medals, cups, watches, and other memorabilia my entire life. I began seriously collecting just after high school about 35 years ago. My Dad and I still collect and we collaborate several times a week regarding all things schützenfest. We both enjoy the hobby as much as ever!

As mentioned before, your Dad is a fine man who helped me when I was starting out in this field about 10 years ago. He is fair and honest and has always had time to help me out with any questions that I had. You are very lucky to have such a role model.

As mentioned before, your Dad is a fine man who helped me when I was starting out in this field about 10 years ago. He is fair and honest and has always had time to help me out with any questions that I had. You are very lucky to have such a role model.

Thank you for the kind words regarding my Dad!

I have always looked up to him and respect him immensely. He has always graded his inventory very conservatively which in my humble opinion has in turn benefited his/our customers. He continues to teach me everyday in more things than just schützenfest and I am very proud to be his son!

I recently obtained this shooting medal awarded at the Amsterdam Rifle Club in 1779. I really liked the engraving on the medal. The condition is wonderful considering its age. It has a nice patina and the subject matter is appropriate.

Shooting medal from the Amsterdam Rifle Club
Metal: Silver
Size: 33mm
Engraver: H. DE. Meyer, Dutch medalist of the second half of the eighteenth century. "His Prize medal for the Amsterdam Rifle Club is signed D. Meyer F." (1907 Spink and Sons; Numismatic Circular and Cataloge of Coins, Volume 15)

36233706256_4d56482214_o_d.jpg

Very nice medal :bthumbsup: but should it not be the Republic of the Seven United Netherlands 1779 because it predates the Batavian Republic(proclaimed1795) by 16 years? Unless the medal was struck that much later than its date.

Here is an almost unique medal(I only know of one other) which happens to mention the Batavian Republic.

984159.jpg