CoinPeople.com

Swiss Shooting Medals

Actually Swiss shooting medals are still being made, but IMHO they are not as nice as those from the classical era like those Holy Freres pieces.

Believe it or not I didn't pay him to say that. We are simply men of impeccable taste and upbringing. :ninja:

I haven't found a new Holy Freres medal in over a year. Someone please sell me one. PLEASE! ;)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Canton: Aargau

1899 Cantonal Shooting Festival at Wohlen

Richter 25a

Composition: Silver

Diameter: 45mm

Design: Franz Homberg

Mintage: 529

DSCN5172-horz.jpg

Canton: Bern

1893 West Swiss Shooting Festival at Biel

Richter 225a

Mintage: 1186

DSCN5163-horz.jpg

As an FYI, the 1840 Solothurn is a jeton rather than a shooting medal. It was not awarded as a shooting prize. It is R434d, I believe it is the 'd' variety, 23mm and 4.3 grams. It is considered to have a rarity of R according to Richter. I too have this jeton and it is one of my favorites! I also have the 1949 medal, I appreciate the shape and I have several other 1949 Chur pieces.

Latest additions:

980901.jpg

980900.jpg

The first was issued for Chur (1949). The second is really tiny for a shooting medal (23mm) and was issued for the fest at Solothurn in 1840.

• 2 weeks later...
As an FYI, the 1840 Solothurn is a jeton rather than a shooting medal. It was not awarded as a shooting prize. It is R434d, I beleive it is the 'd' variety, 23mm and 4.3 grams. It is considered to have a rarity of R according to Richter. I too have this jeton and it is one of my favorites! I also have the 1949 medal, I appreciate the shape and I have several other 1949 Chur pieces.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

I'm intrigued by the small medalet being classified as a `jeton'. Why would this have been issued? Who would have been gifted these (or were they sold?). Normally a jeton would be issued on a grace and favour basis to officials or VIP's to mark a event. Is that the case with this one?

Ian

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

I'm intrigued by the small medalet being classified as a `jeton'. Why would this have been issued? Who would have been gifted these (or were they sold?). Normally a jeton would be issued on a grace and favour basis to officials or VIP's to mark a event. Is that the case with this one?

Ian

Shooting jetons were the currency of the shoot.

Schützenfest entrants used jetons to pay for - entrance fees, targets, ammunition, food and drinks etc. during the shoot. They would have to purchase jetons from the shooting committee.

Few had face value but most did not. This was so the jetons could be used again at another/next shoot. Perhaps they were worth a franc; however I am unsure of the value of jetons without face value.

There were numerous jetons per shoot including paper jetons of which I have several examples.

Beautiful 1905 Fribourg medal Ian, nicer than mine. :ninja: (Catalog number is Richter 420.)

This medal has two obverse die varieties. The first is signed "HOLY FRERES" on the obverse and that's the one you have pictured.

The second is signed "Holy Frs" on the obverse. I have no idea which is common and which is scarce.

Both are pictured at the bottom of page 5 of this thread.

I've seen far fewer bronze medals than silver. Is there a reason for that? I assume that silver is nicer but was cheap enough to use too.

The bronze medals are usually harder to find than the silver ones, and are usually worth more.

Want a real challenge? Try and find the gold Schutzenfest medals from the early 1900's.

The bronze medals are usually harder to find than the silver ones, and are usually worth more.

Want a real challenge? Try and find the gold Schutzenfest medals from the early 1900's.

I have seen a few of the gold ones, Northeastcoins had a couple recently.

It's scary to see those kind of prices but nice at the same time. :ninja: (website above)

Prices have been going up since the publication of Richters books. Realized and asked prices are consistently matching Richters prices in his set. While this is not that good for buyers it is great for sellers and the hobby as a whole.

I still feel that many medal prices are inflated, especially on the bay but when I see people paying prices that I have never come close to I see that the hobby has moved to the next level and that my collection has increased in value proportionally!

It's scary to see those kind of prices but nice at the same time...

Amen Rod.

I did buy two nice Holy Freres medals (1906 Thurgau-Arbon and 1913 Thurgau-Weinfelden) that I needed but at almost double the Richter catalog price. I offered their price -20% and they agreed to about -10%. I have wanted the Weinfelden since I first saw it in the Richter catalog.

As nice as these people are I would rather have bought these from Rod or his dad. But I cleaned them out of all their nice Holy Freres stuff long ago!

I'll post photos of the new medals here as soon as I receive them.

PS - Saor Alba, I definitely owe you one. I haven't bought a new Holy Freres medal in over a year and because of you I now have two new ones. :ninja:

Canton: Aargau

1899 Cantonal Shooting Festival at Wohlen

Richter 25a

Mintage: 529

NGC MS-64

DSCN5172-horz.jpg

Canton: Bern

1893 West Swiss Shooting Festival at Biel

Richter 225a

Mintage: 1186

NGC MS-63

DSCN5163-horz.jpg

Actually Northeast are great to deal with, they will at least work with you on price and they do well with customer service. I have bought some very rare Scottish medals from them over the past few years.

They are very nice people and eager to please.

The Weinfelden in hand is absolutely breathtaking and I couldn't be happier with it. :ninja:

These 2 came in from NGC. The first was sent in knowing it has been cleaned yet believe the slab will preserve it from picking up dust given the low mintage.

DSCN5741-horz.jpg

DSCN5742-horz.jpg

Canton: Soluthurn

Year 1890

Solothurn Kantonal Schützenfest

Richter-1121c, Marting: 645, Krause: 220

Design: Hugues Bovy

Composition: Bronze

Mintage: 860

Grade: AU Details

I am a bit dissapointed with the second which I felt was clear, yet these seem harder to find at times termed "so called shooting taler" not medal.

DSCN5735-horz.jpg

DSCN5738-horz.jpg

1849 Federal Shooting Festival, Aarau

Richter - 1b

Martin - 1

Krause - 1

37mm, Silver

Mintage: 1,200

UNC

I ran across this one incidentally and went for it. It is a German shooting medal with a fabulous design in my opinion. I collect Swiss Shooting Medals and this is a bit outside my focus, yet a definite keeper! I am excited.

German Empire, City of Ulm

The opening of the new firing range, 12th-16th May 1904

Klippe Medal

Medallist: F. Miller

43.2 g; 32x32 mm

1-tile1.jpg

City view all over!!

Wow! Do you have a map of the areas that issued schooting medals? I assume it was a stronger tradition in certain regions.

All of Switzerland, parts of Germany, France and the Netherlands, and Argentina. And probably many more countries that I am unaware of.

You lost shooting medals from Austria :ninja:

Its serval times more then Germany.

Even though my main area of interest is Swiss schützenfest medals, I also collect shooting medals from other countries.

Below is the list of countries in order of my preference:

1. Switzerland

2. Austria

3. France

4. Germany

5. United States