CoinPeople.com

Swiss Shooting Medals

TTM5 - I certified about two dozen of my better Schutzenfest medals recently and the grades that NGC assigned were very close to what I thought were correct. A few came back as AU58 that I felt were MS61-MS62, while others did far better than I imagined.

Overall I was happy with the results. And I'm glad I didn't certify them all because I don't want them all encased in plastic.

Hiho,

How did you determine which medals to certify and which to leave alone? While I am leaning towards leaving all my medals alone, I can see an advantage slabbing the more expensive ones to protect them.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiho,

How did you determine which medals to certify and which to leave alone? While I am leaning towards leaving all my medals alone, I can see an advantage slabbing the more expensive ones to protect them.

The medals that were very rare and/or mint state with no damage or traces of cleaning were sent in to NGC. As much as I like coins and medals au natural the slab does protect them in the event that I show them to friends. Consider it a form of insurance. Especially if you have friends like mine who are a wee bit clumsy.

I know I am in the minority here when it comes to certifying coins, but it obviously protects them. And at least half of my collection is still raw and will remain that way. I have the best of both worlds... :ninja:

My Father and I have attended a couple of auctions here and abroad. We have participated in many auctions via phone, catalogs etc. I can honestly say that the slabbing of shooting medals is very rare. The slabbing of modern shooting medals is somewhat more common and slabbing of talers being the most common because they are considered coins. Some will say there are not coins since they only were considered 'coins' during the shoot.

As Ian stated, most shooting medals have a high degree of artistic merit to them and putting them in a slab certainly takes away the enjoyment of experiencing the medal itself. I have been collecting for over 25 years and my Dad for over 45 years and we have very few slabbed shooting medals (talers) and even without having slabbed examples we still have likely some of the best condition medals owned.

However, I have to say there have been a couple of accidents over the years but I can also say that the condition of most of our shooting medals has not changed enough to be considered noticeable by anyone including a 3rd party grading service. Please remember all the coins and medals that were kept so nice for so many many years one way or another before 3rd party grading services were around, how did they stay so nice?

This is just my humble opinion and I certainly do not think it wrong of anyone who wants to slab, I have many slabbed coins and quite a few slabbed modern talers, a couple of slabbed 19th century talers but no slabbed 19th and early 20th century shooting medals. I just like them so much that I look at them closely often and the slab will prevent me from doing this.

I do agree that slabbing of shooting medals will probably increase some interest in the hobby but I do not think it will result in an increase in interest for the true collector of shooting medals. As many people state often, buy the "medal" not the slab.

Rod - If you ever resume your Schutzenfest auctions, either on your own website or on eBay, please let me know so I don't miss them.

And don't bother telling Scottishmoney, I'm sure he wouldn't be interested in the least... :ninja:

Kim,

There have been some health issues with my Mother so my Dad has been on a hiatus for several months. I have had some turmoil in my professional life that has precluded me from doing the auctions. Once my Mom is better and all is back to normal and once I get a new web site (Geocities is gone as of end of October) I will commence once again. I may concentrate on eBay but I don't really like giving them as much money as they want especially when the customer base in somewhat limited. Auctions are not the best venue in my opinion and I believe the next venture will be strictly sales. But none if this is written in stone.

Getting inventory for the web site as well as our customer has been very difficult. We get most of our inventory directly from Switzerland and it has been very slim pickings this entire year. We hope things change soon. We love our hobby and growing our collections but we also love helping others grow theirs as well as doing whatever we can to spread the schützenfest fever so to speak!

I wish Scottishmoney would compete with the collecting, it will only help the hobby overall. ;)

Rod, I hope your mom is feeling better and that your professional life returns to normal.

Whether or not you do ebay auctions or direct sales I am still VERY interested in any Holy Freres medals that you may happen upon. Of all the Schutzenfest dealers I have dealt with your medals (and your dads) have always been the nicest ones by a wide margin.

As for Scottishmoney I agree that his participation will be a positive influence to the hobby. Though I will take out a second mortgage if I have to if he starts bidding on Holy Freres medals... :ninja:

Here's my latest acquisition. 38mm silver by Homberg issued for the 1897 Cantonal shoot at Beider (Basel). There's a slight edge knock, but this doesn't overly detract from my enjoyment of the medal.

974083.jpg

As for Scottishmoney I agree that his participation will be a positive influence to the hobby. Though I will take out a second mortgage if I have to if he starts bidding on Holy Freres medals... ;)

Watch it, I don't have to take out a second mortgage :ninja: , just draw on reserves.

There have been some health issues with my Mother so my Dad has been on a hiatus for several months. I have had some turmoil in my professional life that has precluded me from doing the auctions. Once my Mom is better and all is back to normal and once I get a new web site (Geocities is gone as of end of October) I will commence once again. I may concentrate on eBay but I don't really like giving them as much money as they want especially when the customer base in somewhat limited. Auctions are not the best venue in my opinion and I believe the next venture will be strictly sales. But none if this is written in stone.

Rod,

I hope for your Mother's speedy recovery and your Dad's return to the hobby in which he is such an important icon.

As someone who has had the pleasure of speaking several times with your dad about Swiss Shooting Medals and whose collection has grown quite a bit with his help, I look forward to his return.

Tim

Rod, do by all means avoid the fleaBay venue for letting of your fine medals and offer them in more meaningful venues such as the BST here on this board. Avoid the usurious fees, and endeavour to find loving homes for especially your Swiss Misses - I know someone personally - well I think I know him most days, he likes adding Misses from all around the world into his numismatic harem :ninja:

Rod, do by all means avoid the fleaBay venue for letting of your fine medals and offer them in more meaningful venues such as the BST here on this board. Avoid the usurious fees, and endeavour to find loving homes for especially your Swiss Misses - I know someone personally - well I think I know him most days, he likes adding Misses from all around the world into his numismatic harem :ninja:

Yes, I don't believe I will use eBay. I too think their fees are high and for the low annual cost of a web site I can keep a few medals available at all times. Good inventory has been especially hard to obtain lately but I will do my best when I can. Glad to know you like the Swiss misses. I will keep that in mind for the future.

Rod

...he likes adding Misses from all around the world into his numismatic harem :ninja:

If you haven't already you should have Rod order you a copy of the Richter catalog, the photos are outstanding and every page radiates with feminine beauty.

Here are four of my favorite Schutzenfest medals featuring the fairer sex:

1905Olten-1.jpg

1903Biel-1.jpg

1906-Nyon.jpg

1904Zurcher.jpg

You have to love that helmet!

...they just ooze femininity.

They are like tiny silver Mona Lisa's. The gold medal's are even nicer, especially the 1910 Bern. A mere 400 of these were produced, I'm still amazed I was able to purchase one.

Sometimes I sit for hours in my comfy chair at home and page through the Richter catalog. And marvel at the beauty of these medals.

"Oh man, I would love to find a 1912 Bern Bumpliz for sale" I have said to myself on several occasions.

Heck, I would even settle for a 1913 Bern Worb. I have thought that too. (Both are Holy Freres medals.)

My wife has asked me several times, "Haven't you finished reading that book yet?" "Someday, maybe...I'm slow." I usually mutter.

The most artistic medals IMHO are the one's by Holy Freres, Huguenin and Hans Frei. Get the Richter set and see for yourself, the photographs and print quality are exceptional.

Or just buy the Schutzenfest medals that you like and Rod and I can look them up for you. I usually have the book open anyway... :ninja:

They are like tiny silver Mona Lisa's. The gold medal's are even nicer, especially the 1910 Bern. A mere 400 of these were produced, I'm still amazed I was able to purchase one.

Sometimes I sit for hours in my comfy chair at home and page through the Richter catalog. And marvel at the beauty of these medals.

"Oh man, I would love to find a 1912 Bern Bumpliz for sale" I have said to myself on several occasions.

Heck, I would even settle for a 1913 Bern Worb. I have thought that too. (Both are Holy Freres medals.)

My wife has asked me several times, "Haven't you finished reading that book yet?" "Someday, maybe...I'm slow." I usually mutter.

The most artistic medals IMHO are the one's by Holy Freres, Huguenin and Hans Frei. Get the Richter set and see for yourself, the photographs and print quality are exceptional.

Or just buy the Schutzenfest medals that you like and Rod and I can look them up for you. I usually have the book open anyway... :ninja:

Yes, I am always willing to assist any way I can.

Well, after quite some time of inactivity and decision making, I'm happy to announce the creation and publication of my new website devoted to Swiss Schützenfest.

It is called: Rod Moore Schutzenfest and it resides at shootingmedals.com. Please go there and bookmark it so you can return often. :ninja:

I presently have inventory of 12 pieces and since stock is extremely limited and difficult to obtain (for quite some time now) it is possible that I may have little or no stock at times but I will always attempt to have something available for sale.

As some of you are aware, I'm am mainly a collector and not a dealer and have a decent collection of my own. My Father has a large collection and contributes substantially to the website in terms of stock and education to other collectors and myself (thankfully). We primarily have the site to get more people interested in Swiss Shooting medal collecting as a hobby.

The site will not be listed in Google and Yahoo for a few months so I suppose so it may be harder to find via the search engines right now.

Again, it is called Rod Moore Schutzenfest and the address is: htpp://www.shootingmedals.com

Please let anyone you feel may be interested know about my new site. I would also appreciate it if you share your thoughts about the site and also let me know if you find any typos and/or other discrepancies and I will make the required corrections.

I hope you find the site interesting and a web address you visit regularly. ;)

Best regards,

Rod, I like the new website much more than the old one. It has a real professional look, it's easy to navigate and understand, I'll give it an A+. :ninja:

Order submitted.