CoinPeople.com

Swiss Shooting Medals

yep! that's definitely a beaut!

:ninja:

Thanks Ian. You are a man of impeccable taste.

I have three more medals to post here that just arrived from Switzerland, including a pretty rare gold Schutzenfest medal that will knock your socks off.

Stay tuned...

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1906 Langnau (Bern)

Richter # 257a

23mm silver

1447 struck

Engraved by Holy Freres

40 VF/120 UNC in silver

80 VF/200 UNC in brass

1906langnau-2.jpg

1906langnau-1.jpg

I couldn't ask for a nicer example.

1903 Biel (Bern)

Richter # 251a

45mm silver

693 struck

Engraved by Holy Freres

60 VF/180 UNC in silver (251a)

100 VF/250 UNC in brass (251b)

1903Biel-1.jpg

1903Biel-2.jpg

Uncleaned and I find the toning on the bottom of the city view to be quite attractive.

1910 Bern

Richter # 263a

28mm gold (13.8g)

400 struck

Engraved by Holy Freres

250 VF/400 UNC (based on 2005 gold prices)

1910GoldBern-1.jpg

1910GoldBern-2.jpg

1910GoldBern-3.jpg

The very first Swiss shooting medal I bought years ago was this in silver, and I still have it.

To be able to find one in gold, especially in this condition, was a real treat.

Right now this is sitting on my nightstand so I can look at it every day.

When the sunlight hits it just right it lights up like the Holy Grail. :ninja:

Thanks to Rod Moores dad for these three medals. ;)

I'm very happy to hear you are enjoying your new acquisitions hiho.

My Dad and I love the hobby and also enjoy passing along any information we can regarding schützenfest items.

I am very happy to have you participating in our every other Friday auctions, I hope you have found them beneficial and enjoyable!

:ninja: schutzenfester

• 2 weeks later...
I am very happy to have you participating in our every other Friday auctions...

Your auctions have been the highlight of my summer... ;)

I'm finding the best way to really study my coins and medals is to take high resolution photos of them which I then use as a computer background for a few weeks.

You discover new things when you see them living large every single day.

I recently noticed that Holy Freres signed this on the bottom left of the medal...

1910GoldBern-2.jpg

While they signed this silver one centered...

1910bern.jpg

I sold that medal long ago but dug out another that I bought at the same time, and I'm pleased to report that I have one of each type in silver.

Now I need to find another gold one signed in the center, assuming one exists. My work never ends... :ninja:

I also have two new medals to show off, an incredible 1911 Lenzburg from Aargau that looks like it was struck yesterday, and a VERY rare 1908 Faido from Ticino that is on the way. I am currently working 56 hours a week until the Olympics end, then the Democratic and Republican Conventions begin, but I'll forego some sleep and post some photos soon.

Guys, I love looking at your pictures. Thanks for sharing all of them. If I had more time and $$ I'd definitely explore this area in person. In the meantime, keep those pics coming

• 4 weeks later...

1911 Lenzburg (Aargau)

Richter # 33a

28mm silver

534 struck

Engraved by Holy Freres

40 VF/120 UNC

This came in it's original case and the details in the womans hair are quite amazing.

1911-Lenzburg-1.jpg

1911-Lenzburg-2.jpg

1908 Faido (Ticino)

Richter # 1441a

45mm silver

125 estimated struck

Engraved by Holy Freres

200 VF/400 UNC

Richter gives this a scarity rating of RR yet I have been told it's probably more like a RRR.

(RR = Very Rare, RRR = Less than 10 examples known to exist)

1908Faido-1.jpg

1908Faido-2.jpg

My lazy postman never left a delivery notice when he tried to deliver this so it sat at the Post Office for a month while I worried.

And worried. And worried. All well that ends well though, right? ;)

Very difficult to photograph the portrait side of this medal. NONE of my pics were in focus. That's odd. :ninja:

1905 Olten (Solothurn)

Richter # 1127a

45mm silver

505 estimated struck

Engraved by Holy Freres

60 VF/180 UNC

1905Olten-1.jpg

1905Olten-2.jpg

Oltenc-u.jpg

This may well be my favorite Holy Freres design, certainly top 5 out of 50+ at the very least.

All of these medals came from Rod Moore's father. Thanks again RM!

I love that these medals feature a gorgeous background with a fair maiden in the foreground. Who is the girl in each case? Is she a Swiss legend like America's Columbia or Britain's Britannia? Why do they always feature a mountain/valley setting? Are those the villages?

As always, love the pics and maybe one day I'll love the medal myself.

I love that these medals feature a gorgeous background with a fair maiden in the foreground. Who is the girl in each case? Is she a Swiss legend like America's Columbia or Britain's Britannia? Why do they always feature a mountain/valley setting? Are those the villages?

The fair maiden is usually Helvetia, the female personification of Switzerland.

(Americans have Lady Liberty, the English have Britannia, the French have Marianne, and the Swiss have Helvetia.)

Sometimes though the fair maiden was a local lass dressed in the traditional garb of the town where the Schutzenfest was held.

Rod, please correct me if I am wrong.

The fair maiden is usually Helvetia, the female personification of Switzerland.

(Americans have Lady Liberty, the English have Britannia, the French have Marianne, and the Swiss have Helvetia.)

Sometimes though the fair maiden was a local lass dressed in the traditional garb of the town where the Schutzenfest was held.

Rod, please correct me if I am wrong.

Oh, now I remember. Thanks! Also, so each town pictured was the host town for Schutzenfest. Was this an annual festival or an event that each town may host on its own during a summer?

Oh, now I remember. Thanks! Also, so each town pictured was the host town for Schutzenfest. Was this an annual festival or an event that each town may host on its own during a summer?

Hiho,

You are for the most correct IMHO. By looking at medals with a woman represented you will notice that the woman depicted on Swiss schützenfest medals look different from medal to medal most of the time. Helvetia is likely the main character but as you stated other women (A Swiss woman) is the primary candidate. The French Marianne, U.S. Lady Liberty and U.K. Britannia almost always look the same on the various medals.

thedeadpoint,

Many times the scene depicted is the locality where the shoot was held or a local landmark. Schützenfests were held as Federal, Cantonal, Regional and City events. The Federal (Country wide) was yearly and attracted thousands of people. Cantonal (state) were as widely attended by the public. Shoots in general were the high point on the calendar for the populous at the time. Hundreds of thousands of Swiss francs commonly comprised the value of the shoot's awards.

The participants were awarded a wide range of items for awards for placing in different levels of the various shoots as well as for participating. Somewhat common awards were medals; however the mintage of medals compared to coins makes them rare. The most common form of award is the shooting decoration; these are seen on eBay commonly and can be most easily described as looking like a formal military award that is pinned on a person's chest.

Before a shoot, committee members would solicit local shop keepers for prizes (usually custom made) to be awarded at the shoot. These awards can range from silver services, clocks, watches, guns, currency in displays, statues, cups and the list goes on. As stated above most of these types of awards made by local vendors were custom made and had some type of attribution to the specific shoot.

Here is an example of a German shooting award.

It is from a shoot in Rothenburg, July 3, 1907 and was awarded to the Schutzen Konig.

The award is in perfect condition with toning and no detractions. I have never seen another like it and thought everyone might enjoy seeing it-

gerstaro.jpg

gerstarr.jpg

Here is R87/M53; Basel 1844, 38mm, engraved by Antoine Bovy of Genf.

Although this medal is relatively common in silver and bronze, here is an example of it gold plated. In Richter, it is identified as bronze, gold plated but my example is stamped Cuivre (copper) on the rim edge, as most likely all the gold plated examples are.

In all our years of collecting, my Dad (47 yrs.) and I (28 years) had never seen a gold plated example of this medal until I was able to purchase it a few years ago and am very happy to own it.

r87vergoldet.jpg

hiho,

Here is R228 without the 'Diamond A' like your medal.

1911 Olten, Solothurn

Silver, 23mm

Holy Freres, St. Imier

Very nice Rod.

If you ever want to sell it please let me know... :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...