CoinPeople.com

Swiss Shooting Medals

"I will be interested in seeing the other 2 you procured."

The other five, and hopefully six if I win your auction.

Here's a medal that is a bit of a mystery. At first glance it appears to be a Richter #1130b, 1911 Olten, 23mm silver and one of 440 produced.

But there is the letter "A" in the diamond on the obverse, and the 1130b, according to Richter, has no letter.

The Richter #1131a does have the "A" in the diamond but was only struck in gold. So this medal is a bit of a mule.

1911-Olten.jpg

I would jump at the chance to purchase the gold companion to this and have a matching set.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my 1895 Winterthur which Rod details nicely on the previous page of this thread.

1895-Winterthur.jpg

Mine has toned a bit more than Rod's. The details here are amazing, and the medal has no flaws that I can find.

And here's an 1892 Glarus (Richter #808b) that appears to have been cleaned a bit but still has strong AU/UNC details.

1892-Glarus.jpg

Richter values this at $180 in UNC, I'll guess this is probably still worth about $120. I may sell it on eBay to concentrate on the Holy Freres medals.

Fifty-five of these were struck in gold (#808a) and are worth $3500 in MS condition. Try finding one...

Richter #1183, 1910 Gossau from the Canton of St. Gallen. 1450 were struck in silver and these are currently worth $40 in VF and $120 in UNC.

1910-Gossau.jpg

This one grades a decent VF, and the price was right. I think I like these smaller (this is 27mm) medals more than the full size 45mm ones. Sometimes less is more.

Richter #239b, 1899 Langenthal from the Canton of Bern. 30mm, 850 struck in silver, currently worth $40 in VF and $120 in UNC.

1899-Langenthal.jpg

And I see I won your auction Rod... :ninja:

"I will be interested in seeing the other 2 you procured."

The other five, and hopefully six if I win your auction.

Here's a medal that is a bit of a mystery. At first glance it appears to be a Richter #1130b, 1911 Olten, 23mm silver and one of 440 produced.

But there is the letter "A" in the diamond on the obverse, and the 1130b, according to Richter, has no letter.

The Richter #1131a does have the "A" in the diamond but was only struck in gold. So this medal is a bit of a mule.

1911-Olten.jpg

I would jump at the chance to purchase the gold companion to this and have a matching set.

hiho,

As an FYI, The medals with the incused 'A' are more common than the ones without. The mintage figures that Richter states are only for those without the 'A'

As good as a reference Richter's book is, there are many errors throughout. Which based on the sheer volume of the book is probably not that bad.

We are not positive but the medals with the 'a' are probably restrikes after 1911 (this is not a known fact)

The medals that are with the 'a' are more common and would/should be considered common based on Richter's classifications. In the forty plus years my Dad has collected and the 20 years I've been collecting, the ones with the 'a' are quite common place.

On another note:

Congratulations on winning the medal. We hope you like it, please let me know after you recieve it...

Rod

It does make perfect sense that the "A" branded medals were restrikes, I'm still glad I bought it though.

And yes, I have found two other Holy Freres related errors (omissions) in the Richter book. Again, still glad I bought it.

I'm easily pleased... :ninja:

A new medal I won from Rod's father's auction...

1912Herzog-1.jpg

1912Herzog-2.jpg

Richter #272, a 1912 Herzogenbuchsee from Bern. About the size and weight of an American nickel at 24mm.

A beautiful uncleaned silver example, thank you Mr. Moore.

This medal was a joint collaboration between Holy Freres and Linck, this "team" also created the Richter #272 and #275.

A finders fee for anyone who can locate for me a Richter #270, the 1912 Bumpliz, one of the scarcer Holy Freres creations.

The name speaks for itself... :ninja:

• 3 weeks later...

Another medal purchased from Rod, a gorgeous 1920 oval Luzern pinback.

36mm x 26mm, silver, engraved by Burger. Catalogs at $150 in VF and $280 in UNC.

luzern-01.jpg

luzern-02.jpg

Richter #894, scarcity rating RR, my rarest Schutzenfest medal by far. :ninja:

A beautiful 1911 Basel (Richter #133) from a Swiss dealer. Worth about $40 in VF and $120 in UNC.

basel-01-1.jpg

basel-02.jpg

Hans Frei designed this medal as well as the beautiful R132 (1909 Basel) and the R134 (1914 Sissach)

If it takes a lifetime I will own an R132.

Love the basilisk.

And a nice 1906 Ruti (Richter#1792c) from Zurich engraved by Holy Freres. Worth about $25 in VF and $75 in UNC.

1000 were struck in silver and 70 in gold. I would jump at the chance...

ruti-01.jpg

ruti-02.jpg

With a dab of well aged Swiss dark chocolate on the reverse. At least I hope it's chocolate... :ninja:

Hi - I'm new to this site and am not sure what I'm doing and I'm not sure I'm even in the right place.

Please feel free to let know if I've messed up.

I have five (5) of these Swiss Shooting Medals - or at least that's what I think they are from what I've seen on this site. My father collected many things over the years and my brother and I found these 5 medals in a box after he passed away. Due to the fact that my brother and I are not interested in collecting them, we are looking for advice on where we should go to sell them.

The years of the medals I have are: 1681, 1887, 1890, 1894, and 1896.

Can anyone helpe me?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Hi - I'm new to this site and am not sure what I'm doing and I'm not sure I'm even in the right place.

Please feel free to let know if I've messed up.

I have five (5) of these Swiss Shooting Medals - or at least that's what I think they are from what I've seen on this site. My father collected many things over the years and my brother and I found these 5 medals in a box after he passed away. Due to the fact that my brother and I are not interested in collecting them, we are looking for advice on where we should go to sell them.

The years of the medals I have are: 1681, 1887, 1890, 1894, and 1896.

Can anyone helpe me?

Thank you in advance for your help!

first things first. I'm sure that some of the peop's here might be interested in your medals, dependent on what they actually are and the condition they are in. Why don't you get scans / images of them and post them so we can see for ourselves and take it from there? Happy to give advice as to the various means of disposing of them ranging from selling them direct to collectors, selling them via auction (ebay for example), or suggesting dealers you might want to try (dependent on where on the planet you are based).

Ian

first things first. I'm sure that some of the peop's here might be interested in your medals, dependent on what they actually are and the condition they are in. Why don't you get scans / images of them and post them so we can see for ourselves and take it from there? Happy to give advice as to the various means of disposing of them ranging from selling them direct to collectors, selling them via auction (ebay for example), or suggesting dealers you might want to try (dependent on where on the planet you are based).

Ian

Ian -

Thank you so much for your reply. I did try to post some of the pictures that I have taken of these medals.

But obviously, I don't know what I'm doing. I tried to post the pictures as attachments and when I try to do that - it says that even one picture is too large for the space available.

Is there a way to put the pictures in this post, rather than as an attachment?

I'm sorry that I'm not better at this.

Sharon

Sharon -

If you register with Photobucket (www.photobucket.com) you can upload the photos to them and then use the IMG code they supply to post them here.

You can resize photos there as well. 640x480 works well here, or 800x600.

It's free and pretty easy to use. And you'll get better at this the more you do it.

We're a fairly patient lot and won't make fun of you. If you have questions just ask...

I'm quite interested in seeing a photo of the 1681 medal, which is most likely a coin.

Ian -

Thank you so much for your reply. I did try to post some of the pictures that I have taken of these medals.

But obviously, I don't know what I'm doing. I tried to post the pictures as attachments and when I try to do that - it says that even one picture is too large for the space available.

Is there a way to put the pictures in this post, rather than as an attachment?

I'm sorry that I'm not better at this.

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

Have a look at the main page under `site information and technical support' for appropriate guidance.

Probably the best way to do this is post your images to a webpage first. You can join omnicoin.com free and use it as a `host' for your coin / medal images. Once you have your images posted there you just need to `link' the images to your posts on coinpeople.com.

First things first though. Get your images onto a webpage or image hosting site like omnicoin. I'm sure the section of coinpeople i've mentioned above will enable you to find out how to 'link' the images from there, failing which we can talk you through it here. It's an easy process and anyone (once you know how) can do it in seconds.

Ian

Sharon -

If you register with Photobucket (www.photobucket.com) you can upload the photos to them and then use the IMG code they supply to post them here.

You can resize photos there as well. 640x480 works well here, or 800x600.

It's free and pretty easy to use. And you'll get better at this the more you do it.

We're a fairly patient lot and won't make fun of you. If you have questions just ask...

I'm quite interested in seeing a photo of the 1681 medal, which is most likely a coin.

Hi hiho -

I'm glad you mentioned photbucket because I already had my pictures in there and per your advice - I just resized them to 640x480.

And it looks like I've figured out how to get them in here.

So I guess at this point - I need to know for sure what they are, what they might be worth, and where I might go to sell them.

I appreciate any and all help,

Sharon

IMG_6549.jpg

IMG_6550.jpg

IMG_6543.jpg

IMG_6546.jpg

IMG_6539.jpg

IMG_6541.jpg

IMG_6531.jpg

IMG_6535.jpg

IMG_6521.jpg

IMG_6527.jpg

Hi hiho -

I'm glad you mentioned photbucket because I already had my pictures in there and per your advice - I just resized them to 640x480.

And it looks like I've figured out how to get them in here.

So I guess at this point - I need to know for sure what they are, what they might be worth, and where I might go to sell them.

I appreciate any and all help,

Sharon

They are all Swiss shooting medals and of different values.

I know it sounds twee, but they are worth whatever you can get someone to part with for them.

I don't have a concept of current market values in a pure collectors market but If you were to put them on ebay you might get anywhere between $60 - $120 for the silver ones and perhaps a bit less for the bronze / copper ones. Maybe more on a good day when the right collectors were around....., but maybe significantly less too when the collectors are sleeping. the last one I bought on ebay was only a matter of a few weeks ago, and I only paid 26.5 euro ($42).

If you were to approach dealers with your medals, you need to realise that they will make an offer that then enables them to make a reasonable profit from selling them on to their client collectors.

I have to declare that I have a vested interest though, as I would be interested in making you an offer outside of this forum (i'm not a dealer). Not knowing where on the planet you are based it is difficult to suggest appropriate dealers you might want to check out (?)

I have to say that your medal is dated 1891 and not the 1681 you had thought. An easy mistake to make though.

Ian

They are all Swiss shooting medals and of different values.

I know it sounds twee, but they are worth whatever you can get someone to part with for them.

I don't have a concept of current market values in a pure collectors market but If you were to put them on ebay you might get anywhere between $60 - $120 for the silver ones and perhaps a bit less for the bronze / copper ones. Maybe more on a good day when the right collectors were around....., but maybe significantly less too when the collectors are sleeping. the last one I bought on ebay was only a matter of a few weeks ago, and I only paid 26.5 euro ($42).

If you were to approach dealers with your medals, you need to realise that they will make an offer that then enables them to make a reasonable profit from selling them on to their client collectors.

I have to declare that I have a vested interest though, as I would be interested in making you an offer outside of this forum (i'm not a dealer). Not knowing where on the planet you are based it is difficult to suggest appropriate dealers you might want to check out (?)

I have to say that your medal is dated 1891 and not the 1681 you had thought. An easy mistake to make though.

Ian

Hi Ian -

I've heard the saying "it's only worth what someone will pay you for it". LOL.....

And I do know that an item has a certain value to a collector, if he's looking for a particular item and a different value to a dealer, because of resale.

I am from Northwest Ohio, USA.

I see what you mean about the date that I thought was 1681. I was reading in the direction the words were written in. After you told me about the error - I looked at it closer and see that the date is turned the other way. Sorry for my mistake.

Thanks for your assistance,

Sharon

Sharon -

Excellent photos, and happy to see you didn't try to clean these.

When I get home from work today I'll look up your medals in my Richter book and post their catalog numbers and values here.

1891 Bern Kantonal Schutzenfest

Richter #215

Franz Homberg

a- Silver 45mm

1656 struck

$60 VF / $200 UNC

b- Bronze 45mm

1380 struck

$40 VF / $120 UNC

Looks silver and UNC (or AU+) and has some remarkable toning.

1894 Bern Thun Kantonal Schutzenfest

Richter #228

Franz Homberg

a- Silver 45mm

1452 struck

$60 VF / $200 UNC

b- Bronze 45mm

724 struck

$40 VF / $120 UNC

I think it’s silver, it is AU with nice even toning.

1896 Geneva Shooting Exposition

Richter #691

Hugues Bovy

a- Silver 47mm

966 struck

$60 VF / $180 UNC

b- Bronze 45mm

1202 struck

$40 VF / $120 UNC

If this was gold it would be worth a fortune.

1890 Thurgau Frauenfeld Schutzenfest

Richter #1250

Hugues Bovy

a- Gold 45mm (69.3 grams!)

119 struck

$1500 VF / $3500 UNC

b- Silver 45mm

5760 struck

$60 VF / $150 UNC

c- Bronze 45mm

4500 struck

$30 VF / $80 UNC

Looks bronze and UNC to me. A popular medal.

1887 Geneva Federal Shoot

Richter #628

Hugues Bovy

a- Gold 45mm (76 grams!)

12 struck

Scarcity rating RRR

Basically worth as much as a new Audi or BMW with money left over for gas, even at $5 a gallon…

b- Silver 45mm

39030 struck

$50 VF / $150 UNC

d- Bronze 45mm

4354 struck

$40 VF / $120 UNC

Looks like you have a bronze medal here, UNC except for the two light dings on the cross.

Nothing really super rare here, more a nice mini-Schutzenfest collection of uncleaned Hugues Bovy and Franz Homberg medals in excellent condition.

Thanks for posting the photos here! :ninja:

1891 Bern Kantonal Schutzenfest

Richter #215

Franz Homberg

a- Silver 45mm

1656 struck

$60 VF / $200 UNC

b- Bronze 45mm

1380 struck

$40 VF / $120 UNC

Looks silver and UNC (or AU+) and has some remarkable toning.

1894 Bern Thun Kantonal Schutzenfest

Richter #228

Franz Homberg

a- Silver 45mm

1452 struck

$60 VF / $200 UNC

b- Bronze 45mm

724 struck

$40 VF / $120 UNC

I think it’s silver, it is AU with nice even toning.

1896 Geneva Shooting Exposition

Richter #691

Hugues Bovy

a- Silver 47mm

966 struck

$60 VF / $180 UNC

b- Bronze 45mm

1202 struck

$40 VF / $120 UNC

If this was gold it would be worth a fortune.

1890 Thurgau Frauenfeld Schutzenfest

Richter #1250

Hugues Bovy

a- Gold 45mm (69.3 grams!)

119 struck

$1500 VF / $3500 UNC

b- Silver 45mm

5760 struck

$60 VF / $150 UNC

c- Bronze 45mm

4500 struck

$30 VF / $80 UNC

Looks bronze and UNC to me. A popular medal.

1887 Geneva Federal Shoot

Richter #628

Hugues Bovy

a- Gold 45mm (76 grams!)

12 struck

Scarcity rating RRR

Basically worth as much as a new Audi or BMW with money left over for gas, even at $5 a gallon…

b- Silver 45mm

39030 struck

$50 VF / $150 UNC

d- Bronze 45mm

4354 struck

$40 VF / $120 UNC

Looks like you have a bronze medal here, UNC except for the two light dings on the cross.

Nothing really super rare here, more a nice mini-Schutzenfest collection of uncleaned Hugues Bovy and Franz Homberg medals in excellent condition.

Thanks for posting the photos here! :ninja:

Hi hiho -

Thank you for the information. It will be very helpful in my quest to sell these medals.

Have a Wonderful Day!

Sharon

Hi hiho -

Thank you for the information. It will be very helpful in my quest to sell these medals.

Have a Wonderful Day!

Sharon

No worries, always happy to share whatever knowledge I might possess.

Everyone here seems to share what they know and as a result we as a forum can usually identify almost any coin ever minted from a photo.

Usually within a few hours.

It's quite amazing actually. :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a new medal purchased from Rod Moore, a 1907 from Stans in Nidwalden.

Richter #1032, 23mm, silver, only 520 struck. Engraved by Holy Freres.

Worth about $50 in VF / $150 in UNC.

1907Stans-1.jpg

1907Stans-2.jpg

A real beauty. :ninja: