CoinPeople.com

Swiss Shooting Medals

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So sad to hear that, Rod. As you know, this is one of my favorite threads on the whole internet! When I post pics, I just use imgur and post the link. That's not as fancy as your sites (and neither are my pics), but it works. I look forward to seeing what more you have to share!

Well, I used Photobucket to store/host medal pictures for many years, all the while being free. Photobucket made this change suddenly with little or no notice. I have used Imgur and although it worked the same as Photobucket, I did not use since many of my medal pics were already at the Photobucket site.

It is just a shame that so many pictures are no longer visible...

It is a shame. I think we'll see a few more things like this in the next year or so, as changes in the industry take place. Sorry for the loss of a very interesting collection of images.

If you right click on the Photobucket image and select open image in new tab you can then download the image. I did that on your image(then resized and compressed it and hosted on this site and is the thumbnail below. Takes time but as you do it it gets quicker. Hope you do not mind me using your image and you have to click on the thumbnail image. I also hosted it on my site, which is the first image below as attached files are always at the end, shame you cannot imbed them in the text.

Next medal/taler up for auction starting 8pm on Sunday, 1/22/2017 at eBay

Fribourg 1934 Swiss Shooting Thaler/Taler

5 Fr. Federal Schützenfest
R411a/M246a
Metal: Silver
Size: 31mm
Weight: 15.07g
Engraver: Oscar Cattani, Fribourg / Huguenin, Le Locle / Federal Mint, Bern
Rarity: H
Mintage: 32,789 pieces

R431a_zpszjtzkemi.jpg

a_zpszjtzkemi.jpg

The compressed image is only 26.9KB but still looks okay on a computer.

a_zpszjtzkemi.jpg

I have initiated the repopulating of my medal pictures. It will take some time but I will keep plugging away as time allows. I am working my way backwards (newest to oldest) and of course, where someone quoted my post with a photo, the photo within the quote will not be there.

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Willowskye said:

I have recently acquired a collection of 36 Swiss shooting medals, mostly from the 1940's and 1950's.  What is the best source for determining their value?

I would be able to assist most likely. I would need good pictures of obverse and reverse, size of each metal in mm, metal composition if known, any markings on medal that may not be seen in pictures. 

Are they medals or decorations with ribbon (Kranz abzeichen)? 

You can search here at CoinPeople for picture posting directions. You can post quite easily.

For example, as I am typing this there is a paperclip icon at the bottom of the dialog box, next to the paperclip there is a hyperlink that says - "Click to choose files" . I click it then choose documents, it shows me a list of my pictures, I pick the picture I want, then I choose open and then I see a small thumnail of the picture and it is attached to this post. 

• 2 months later...

Thank you for responding. I'm sorry I'm so delayed in getting back to you.  Here are 6 of them, I have several more.  I believe they are medals.  Several are marked Kranz Auszeichnung.  I don't know the metal composition, I was hoping that would sort itself out when someone recognizes them.   Please let me know if you need more information.  Thank you.

EC698E80F178450190B245DCA58486A0.jpg

9CA6407DBD564828B4645784782C3191.jpg

F58A0597CCA34EC7A5C1BE6A6D819976.jpg

E6437FB4A1E441168132E12825B05077.jpg

4A0DC8AFCF5C49D89EE8890895940CBC.jpg

B428B9536968487C9D6C3FA885B224A1.jpg

On 11/2/2017 at 12:15 PM, Willowskye said:

Thank you for responding. I'm sorry I'm so delayed in getting back to you.  Here are 6 of them, I have several more.  I believe they are medals.  Several are marked Kranz Auszeichnung.  I don't know the metal composition, I was hoping that would sort itself out when someone recognizes them.   Please let me know if you need more information.  Thank you.

Hello,

You have some nice kranz abzeichen from Switzerland. They are shooting decorations, not medals. They were awarded for participation and honorable mention, etc. Swiss shooting decorations are not necessarily rare but at times they can be. Some silver and/or decorations from the 30's or prior can be considered rare and go for more than the common ones as you show here. 

I would estimate your's being valued between $2 (low) to $15 (high) each. Average maybe around $5 -7 each. Sometimes they go for more if someone is looking for a specific design motif or year. There have been many on eBay for sale around $15 for many months with little or no sales. 

On 11/7/2017 at 10:22 AM, Willowskye said:

Thank you very much for that information.  Can I just ask please about these last 2.  I haven't found anything online quite like them.  Thanks so much for the help.

I can identify both of your medals but keep in mind that it is usually easier when pictures of both sides of any coin/medal are submitted for identification. In the case of your second medal, there are variants so positive identification is not possible but both variants are very close in value.

Medal 1: this medal is engraved with year and is known for every year in the 1930's. It is from the Canton of Basel and was awarded in the Young Shooters Shoot. It is 35mm in diameter and since your picture is not obvious, it is made of bronze or copper. This medal was minted in silver, bronze, and copper. It is engraved by H, Wirz, Basel and Huguenin, Le Locle. Somewhat rare with a market value depending on condition and metal type from $50 to $150. Keep in mind that the low value (condition included) is for a medal in at least EF condition.

Medal 2: This medal is a "gesamtschweizerisshe medaillen" or All Swiss Medal and is a medal without year. It is minted in silver and is from about 1921. It is also 35mm in diameter and was engraved by Franz Wagner, Zürich and Huguenin, Le Locle. As above, it is market valued based on condition from $20 to $70.

If possible, I would like to see pictures of the other sides.

• 3 weeks later...