Free and Section Shoot

AR

39 mm

Engraver: Franz Homberg, Bern

Mintage: 100 pieces

RR

pWCHWp0.jpg

Hi Rod,

Beautiful medal and photography, as usual!

I am lucky enough to have one of these in my collection. I remember when I first saw it, the color and texture of the surface made me think that it might actually be "silvered" bronze, as opposed to silver. Richter does not list a "silvered" bronze but only silver ® or bronze (RR). What are your thoughts on this and do you feel that it is actually all silver?

Tim

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Tim,

I have handled a couple of these medals over the years, my Dad also, we have never seen evidence of it being silver plated bronze in regards to wear or other indicators. I do understand why one may question its composition considering the finish you speak of. As you know, there are several finishes in schützenfest medals, matte, glossy, induced patina, etc. I believe this finish is just another example of the great mintage processes the Swiss had. Maybe they found that this finish was less popular and/or more expensive to produce thus the reason not many medals or not of this type. Regardless, I am fairly confident that the medal is silver and until I find a worn example showing bronze I will continue to believe in the silver classification.

As you are aware, there are errors and omissions in Richter's book, but as I have stated previously, his book is the best and most complete out there and the fact there are some inconsistencies is excusable due to the sheer number of medals and extreme difficulty in finding all examples, sizes, compositions, etc. Richter's hard work to bring this reference to us is highly commendable and I look forward to receiving a copy of his revised edition when it comes out.

• 2 weeks later...

1891 Bremgarten, canton Aargau

R14c / M13

Cantonal Shoot

BR

Mintage: 600

Engraver: Hugues Bovy, L. Furet, Geneve / Robert Dorer, Baden

Common

I have had this medal for quite some time and it is a little different in that there are two small holes in the rim at 12 and 6 o'clock; it appears to have been held in some type of display in the past. Displays of this type and others are not that unusual since many people did this in some form or another. The more unusual part of this medal is its patina. It is certainly not the normal patina of a bronze shooting medal, it looks like it sat somewhere for a long time where it was subjected to environmental conditions or something similar. Excluding the patina, it is in very nice condition with very little rim inconsistencies or other negative condition factors.

14c%20Aargau%201891%20Giveaway%20CoinPeo

• 1 month later...

A new acquisition from a recent auction.

1924 Rehalp, canton Zurich

Rehalp Shoot

Br Versilbert

30mm

R

unlisted in Richter

1924%20Rehalpschiessen_zpszoekeyyz.jpg

Is it pitted? If so, is the pitting by design? Due to the manufacturing? Or some post-"minting" process?

• 5 months later...

1895 Genève, canton Genève

R686a / M377
Excercice Arquebuse et Navigation
AR
51 mm
Engraver: Hugues Bovy, Genève

Mintage: 8 pieces for this date

RRR

This is my favorite large shooting medal. Richter states that the mintage for 1895 is 7 examples although my Father and I know of 8 pieces. My example below is in outstanding condition with proof-like surfaces.

The medal was awarded in 1893, 1894, 1895, 1897, 1898, 1899, 1900, 1901, 1903, 1904, 1905, and 1906.

It was struck in silver and bronze with the silver examples being somewhat harder to find.

Since this is my favorite larger schützenfest medal, I have attempted to collect as many silver and bronze pieces as I can when the opportunity arises. I am asking my fellow CoinPeople members to keep an eye out for this medal for me. If you see one or have one you would sell, please contact me.

FQhbNCB.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

1895 Genève, canton Genève

R686a / M377

Excercice Arquebuse et Navigation

AR

51 mm

Engraver: Hugues Bovy, Genève

Mintage: 8 pieces for this date

RRR

This is my favorite large shooting medal. Richter states that the mintage for 1895 is 7 examples although my Father and I know of 8 pieces. My example below is in outstanding condition with proof-like surfaces.

The medal was awarded in 1893, 1894, 1895, 1898, 1899, 1900, 1901, 1903, 1904, 1905, and 1906.

It was struck in silver and bronze with the silver examples being somewhat harder to find.

Since this is my favorite larger schützenfest medal, I have attempted to collect as many silver and bronze pieces as I can when the opportunity arises. I am asking my fellow CoinPeople members to keep an eye out for this medal for me. If you see one or have one you would sell, please contact me.

FQhbNCB.jpg

Rod,

Great looking medal and also one of my favorites!

Also presented in 1897 as I have R701b, M377 with the inscription of "Cible Blanche 2me Prix".

Will certainly let you know if I ever decide to part with it.

Tim

Rod,

Great looking medal and also one of my favorites!

Also presented in 1897 as I have R701b, M377 with the inscription of "Cible Blanche 2me Prix".

Will certainly let you know if I ever decide to part with it.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Yes, I have an 1897 piece, just missed the date in my post. Thank you for bringing the omission to my attention. I certainly will entertain any duplicates, so if you ever make the decision to sell, please let me know.

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year everyone!

I have a few duplicates and a few cleaned/polished schützenfest medals and a few duplicate thalers that I am going to put up for auction on eBay over the next several weeks. I plan to post one every week or so with a starting bid of $9.99 and with free shipping.

Art - if this is not okay to inform members about this, please let me know.

The first medal went up Sunday and is -

R1175a St. Gallen 1904 Swiss schützenfest medal.
Shoot type: Federal Schützenfest
Metal: Silver
Engraver: Huguenin, Le Locle
Mintage: 4,750
Size: 33mm
Weight: 15.50g

N70Tf6C.jpg

Nice medal. Find to tell us about your plan. Please post actual auction info in the advertising section as soon as you list them. I'm sure you'll garner interest here.

Sunday night eBay listing - Jan 15, 8:00 pm start and closes 8:00 pm Sunday, Jan 22

Basel 1869 Swiss Shooting Thaler/Taler

5 Fr. Federal Schützenfest
R92a/M56a (without rays between sword and legs)
Size: 38mm
Engraver: Eduard Durussel / Landerer / Federal Mint, Bern
Rarity: H
Mintage: 30,000 pieces
R92a_zpst60mu5gu.jpg

Next medal/taler up for auction starting 8pm on Sunday, 1/22/2017 at eBay

Fribourg 1934 Swiss Shooting Thaler/Taler

5 Fr. Federal Schützenfest
R411a/M246a
Size: 31mm
Weight: 15.07g
Engraver: Oscar Cattani, Fribourg / Huguenin, Le Locle / Federal Mint, Bern
Rarity: H
Mintage: 32,789 pieces

R431a_zpszjtzkemi.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow, just found out that Photobucket no longer allows free 3rd party hosting for photos. If I want ALL the photos I have placed in this thread to show up (from photobucket) they are asking for $39.99 a month. That is the only option that allows 3rd party hosting. I will not pay that amount not even any amount close to that.

It will take a lot of time and since this thread has actually lost peoples' interest in the last couple of years, I am unsure if I will take the time to post all those pictures from my PC. I am sorry that all my pictures are gone now. :(

I never thought Photobucket would do such a thing but in some ways, it does not surprise me. Money is very important!

A lot of work, effort, and pictorial history gone...