CoinPeople.com

Swiss Shooting Medals

Swiss (and other countries) shooting medals are highly collectable. I didn't become interested in them at all until I saw this one. From the Swiss Canton of Glarus. Had to buy it. I've bought a few since, but none of them are quite so colourful.

Amazing though it may seem, the toning is indeed natural and is one of those occasions where it just seems to blend in with the coin.

glarus1.jpg
glarus2.jpg

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW !!! Incredible toning ... I just love that medal :ninja:

Wonderful design and beautiful relief.

Here's another one. This time Geneva, 1887. I have one in Silver and one in Bronze. They are the most 3 dimensional pieces I have ever come across. The photo does it no justice.

geneva.jpg

genevaRev.jpg

Ian

`Seasoned Anorak'

Here's another Swiss shooting medal. This time Zurich 1895. I'm a sucker for these nice chunks of siller with pretty city view and countryside scenes. The semi- naked lady (obverse) really gets in the way of the view don't you think?

zurich1.jpg

zurich2.jpg

I don't have many more of these left to show. My interest in collecting them waned when I got hooked on jetons, but looking at them again has rekindled my own interest. Mind you, i've got a few of the more common Swiss Shooting Thalers to show after I run out of the medals :ninja:

I always hear imaginary strains of the William Tell Overture when I look at this one. (excuse the poor image. I must take the time to scan it myself rather than using the original auction image).

UriMedal.JPG

The William Tell Overture was popularised in the US when it was chosen as the theme tune for `The Lone Ranger'. Most people in the western world (pardon the pun) know it better for the masked ranger. The medal however depicts its true origins.

Ian

Although not really a shooting medal this dates from 1804 from Zurich:

899437.jpg

It's a protector's medal, issued to the local militia for service in defense of the country.

I'm not exactly sure when shooting medals started but they are one of the great temptations outside of the Napoleonic era for me. There have been hours at a Long Beach show where I just sit drooling over these things...

Although not really a shooting medal this dates from 1804 from Zurich:

899437.jpg

It's a protector's medal, issued to the local militia for service in defense of the country.

I'm not exactly sure when shooting medals started but they are one of the great temptations outside of the Napoleonic era for me. There have been hours at a Long Beach show where I just sit drooling over these things...

Pretty neat medal you have there. I wasn't aware of these.

The only reference I had for Swiss Shooting Medals was the Krause one of the same name (small green leatherette hardback). I gave my copy as a gift a while back to a friend in the US who was hooked on these babies a bit more than I was. So i'm now floundering concerning what is / was the earliest Swiss shooting medal. Although the Swiss tend to come to mind in connection with shooting medals (probably rightly so from an art perspective) there are german ones which are absolutely stunning too. Sadly I have none of my own to demonstrate what I mean, but the Goetz one in an adjacent thread certainly fit the bill in terms of general aesthetic merit (IMHO).

Ian

In case you are really really into these, Gietl just published a new two-volume catalog about Swiss shooting medals - Schützentalers, Schützenmedaillen, Schützenjetons, in German, 600 pages, and pretty much every described piece is depicted in color. The author is Jürg Richter. The not-so-neat part is this: €98 ...

Christian