CoinPeople.com

2018 1oz Austrian Gold Philharmonic (BU)

Serendipity

I recently ordered this beautiful gold Philharmonic coin from the Royal Mint Bullion who have a limited selection of world coins. The Philharmonics are very popular with the Asian market, especially Japan. I bought the 1oz gold Philharmonic to complement my 1/4oz gold version which was also minted in 2018.

The reverse features a cornucopia of musical instruments used by the Vienna Philharmonic, including a Vienna horn, bassoon, harp, and four violins centered on a massive cello. Both the reverse and obverse designs were produced by the Chief Engraver of the Austrian Mint, Thomas Pesendorfer. 

The obverse depicts the Musikverein Pipe Organ. Located inside of the Golden Music Hall, it is a fixture within the home theatre of the Vienna Philharmonic and is situated in the Innere Stadt neighbourhood of Vienna. Founded in 1842, the history of the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra dates back much further. As early as 1833, orchestral performances took place in Vienna and were done by ad hoc orchestras.

0EC57E56-DFDA-4EAB-B0AE-7434E7A40D33.jpeg

F0A227D4-CF00-423F-9ED7-78138267113C.jpeg

D3031809-5D5C-4F03-8279-12A74466D588.jpeg