CoinPeople.com

DE: German States €2 Coin Series

tabbs

Next year Germany starts a new series of "state coins". These will be circulating €2 commems, like the ones issued by other euro countries last year and this year.

The concept was obviously inspired by the Canadian provinces series and similar later issues like the US state quarters or Polish voivodship coins. Beginning in February, one state per year will be honored. Germany has 16 states, so the series should run for a while. :ninja:

The 2006 coin will feature Schleswig-Holstein, the northernmost state. The order of the coins, however, is not geographic (and obviously not alphabetic either, hehe) but reflects which state has the presidency in the Bundesrat, the states chamber of the Federal Parliament. The "state twoers" will be issued in addition to the regular €2 coins with the eagle on the country specific side.

At the Coins and Stamps Expo in Cologne last month, the German Numismatic Office presented the 2006 proof set which will also contain both €2 coins. Production of the Schleswig-Holstein coin has already started, so what you see in the picture below is an actual piece. The set is still a dummy in that the other coins are dated 2005 ...

tn_gallery_35_74_149676.jpg

Larger view: http://coinpeople.com/uploads/1129848821/g...5_74_149676.jpg

(Thanks to andiCT from muenzen.net for the image.)

The Schleswig-Holstein coin shows the Holstentor in Lübeck, the most famous of the old city gates in that Hanseatic city. Future coins in that series will also show prominent buildings.

Mintage of the €2 commem will be about 15 million (Stuttgart 3.6 million, Munich 3.2m, Hamburg 3.2m, Berlin 3.0m, Karlsruhe 2.1m). The mintages for 2007 and later will be decided upon later.

Christian

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting those coins should not be a big problem for me, as long as you do not want specific mint marks. The official release date is 3 February, which is also the first day of the "World Money Fair" in Berlin. So in about four months I will dig this discussion up again. :ninja:

Here is a picture of the cardboard thingie that holds the coin set:

http://www.zwei-euro.com/zwei-euro/deutsch...-verpackung.jpg

On the left you see the list of states, and which state will be honored when. On the right (above) there are the coin specifications, and (below) you find some brief info about the state and the depicted monument.

Christian

• 3 weeks later...

The newspaper "Lübecker Nachrichten" had an article, earlier this week, about a visit to the Hamburg Mint. Of course the reporter was primarily interested in seeing how the Schleswig-Holstein euros (with the Holstentor in Lübeck) are made.

Well, they have not been released yet. But here is a handful of the SH two-ers:

http://www.numismatico.de/files/luebeck2_204.jpg

:ninja:

Christian

• 2 months later...

One more month until these ...

muenzen.jpg

... are officially released. (Not my picture; taken at the Munich mint.) And from what I have read, the total mintage of the Schleswig-Holstein coin will be 30 million.

Christian

These are neat and it's good to see something modern that is worth collecting for a change! (he said controversially) :ninja: .

However, if I started to collect these i'd want one from each mint...and for the next sixteen years. What's the best way of going about that, given that i'm not looking to get involved with buying year sets?

Also, does each mint produce a proof coin too or is it just one of the mints designated to produce proofs? Sorry, i'm a bit out of touch with modern German coinage production these days.

Ian

Count me in please.

Done. :ninja: You're "in" also as far as the circulation coins are concerned. Maybe I can get a BU set and thus kill two (or rather nine) birds with one stone. Will have to see when these are issued ...

Christian

However, if I started to collect these i'd want one from each mint...and for the next sixteen years. What's the best way of going about that, given that i'm not looking to get involved with buying year sets?

Also, does each mint produce a proof coin too or is it just one of the mints designated to produce proofs? Sorry, i'm a bit out of touch with modern German coinage production these days.

The mints make €2 "Holstentor" coin rolls such as these ones:

http://www.zwei-euro.com/zwei-euro/deutsch...egung/paket.jpg

These rolls, as well as individual pieces, will then be available at the Bundesbank branch offices (and, a little later, from commercial banks). However, I do not know whether my local Bundesbank branch, for example, will have pieces/rolls from all five mints. Probably not.

And yes, each mint makes a proof(like) version. But these pieces will not be sold individually, only in the mint sets. From what I know about the distribution,

* 30 million pieces will be in rolls, and are supposed to actually circulate;

* about 500,000 "uncirculated" coins will be in the annual unc. sets;

* and about 400,000 "prooflike" pieces will be in the PL sets.

Divide the latter two figures by five, and you know roughly how many each mint makes. :ninja:

Christian

The mints make €2 "Holstentor" coin rolls such as these ones:

http://www.zwei-euro.com/zwei-euro/deutsch...egung/paket.jpg

These rolls, as well as individual pieces, will then be available at the Bundesbank branch offices (and, a little later, from commercial banks). However, I do not know whether my local Bundesbank branch, for example, will have pieces/rolls from all five mints. Probably not.

And yes, each mint makes a proof(like) version. But these pieces will not be sold individually, only in the mint sets. From what I know about the distribution,

* 30 million pieces will be in rolls, and are supposed to actually circulate;

* about 500,000 "uncirculated" coins will be in the annual unc. sets;

* and about 400,000 "prooflike" pieces will be in the PL sets.

Divide the latter two figures by five, and you know roughly how many each mint makes.  :ninja:

Christian

Thanks for the info Christian. I think investing in a roll from each mint would be getting just a little carried away with things. ;) I might just have to settle for one mint after all.

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

It will take a couple more days until these pieces are "officially" released ... but apparently they have already been sighted in the wild. Or rather, one of them.

http://www.kn-online.de/news/archiv/?id=1790114

(Article in German)

Eight-year-old Tim in Stockelsdorf near Lübeck has one, according to the article. He got it from a neighbor who knew he collects coins. And the neighbor thinks she got the piece about a week ago when shopping ...

Christian

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, I got them today! :ninja: Will make a list of "orders" later and PM everybody. You will all get Schleswig-Holstein coins from Baden-Württemberg. G/Karlsruhe to be precise. That is what they had this morning ...

Christian

This is a list of people who want to have the piece or at least showed some vague interest. :ninja:

bobbycoin

Burks

crystalk64

henare

Ian (?)

kuhli

Ray (?)

Sir Sisu

Tiffibunny

Trantor_3

Ukraina Dvi

Have I forgotten anybody? Just holler ...

Christian

Archived