CoinPeople.com

Let the games begin.

Guest Stujoe

May the sexiest hunk of metal win!

Perhaps we should get one of those mermaid coins from Palau for the next competition :ninja:

How long does each set stay up for?

-Bobby

It varies. Generally it's between 5 days and 7 days. Stujoe i think does it on the 7 day system, where they start on sunday (in this case) and end the following sunday, and then the next lot go up.

I found this to be a bit time consuming on sundays having to finish one lot and put them into an order and lock the threads in place, then update the progress threads and then get the next round going. So i switched to a 6 day system.

Start sunday, finish the following saturday and use saturday to do the locking, ordering and updating. Then the sunday would be for setting off the next round.

PCI-3 went through on a 5 day rota though because i was pushed for time thus i had to move through it more quickly.

Stujoe seemingly is taking the braver option of staggering them by having two loads running at the same time with different start and finish dates... now that can lead to confusion... :ninja:

Guest Stujoe
It varies. Generally it's between 5 days and 7 days. Stujoe i think does it on the 7 day system, where they start on sunday (in this case) and end the following sunday, and then the next lot go up.

I found this to be a bit time consuming on sundays having to finish one lot and put them into an order and lock the threads in place, then update the progress threads and then get the next round going. So i switched to a 6 day system.

Start sunday, finish the following saturday and use saturday to do the locking, ordering and updating. Then the sunday would be for setting off the next round.

Yep. I do them one week. Just seems appropriate and it usually jives with the time I have to devote to it. Typically, that is Sunday mornings. And, I shoot for as many votes as possible and I know not everyone visits every day. I know...:ninja:;)

Most often I start and end them on Sundays except for the early rounds which I might do 2 sets a week because there are so many entries now. Back in the old PCI, that wasn't as much of an issue. Now, you are looking at around 200 competitions for the entire season to get to a single overall winner. Almost 100 for the first round alone!

Besides, having broadband, ending them only takes a few seconds. Lock them and update the spreadsheet. Done. :lol:

Stujoe seemingly is taking the braver option of staggering them by having two loads running at the same time with different start and finish dates... now that can lead to confusion... :cry:

With almost 100 competitions for the first round, it almost has to be done otherwise PCI would take forever! It's a little bigger than the olden days. ;)

That is why I put a number in the subtitle...so people can more easily figure out which are the new ones.

Isn't there one catagory with 32 coins? I mean, if you take one week to deal one coin with another one, etc, how long would that take?

31 weeks?! :ninja:

Depends how Stujoe is doing it. He can answer that one for you.

Correction it would actually take 31 weeks just to get to the end of that grouping. Don't forget there's about 8 groups in total, so that's another 4 weeks!

You might understand now why i found the 7 day model too time consuming, bearing in mind i used to put through at least 2 and upto 4 sets through from every group every week.

In 8 groupings with 4 from each that'd be 32 sets to put up on a sunday and 32 to take down the following sunday with another 32 to organsise. It used to take me all day (on dialup too). Although the bonus to it was as the competition progressed i had much less work to do.

Switching to the 6 day system of taking down the old ones on saturday and putting the new ones up the following day helped me greatly!

With almost 100 competitions for the first round, it almost has to be done otherwise PCI would take forever! It's a little bigger than the olden days. :ninja:

That is why I put a number in the subtitle...so people can more easily figure out which are the new ones.

I think you should check back Stu! I'm sure past PCI's have had alot of entries, i'm sure there were at least 2 groups of 32 in one of them!

Maybe not quite as many as there has been this time (mostly due to the new approach... novelty value and all!).

Two from each category through on a week though is very sensible indeed, in fact i heartily recommend it when you've got as many entries as you have.

Guest Stujoe

It is a trade off. I don't know how long PCI will last to tell the truth. I never figure it out. It lasts as long as it lasts. :ninja: I don't consider it a race to the finish. ;)

I try to put up a maximum of 8 competitions on any given day. So, for the first few weeks that would be 16 competitions a week. To put up more than 8 at a time has always seemed kind of tedious to vote in them all and to give each the attention and discussion that it deserves.

If we really wanted to get it done fast, we could put all 190 some odd coins in one poll and just vote but that wouldn't seem like much fun to me. ;)

Guest Stujoe
I think you should check back Stu! I'm sure past PCI's have had alot of entries, i'm sure there were at least 2 groups of 32 in one of them!

I am not going to take the time to count the actual competitions but looking on my computer...

PCI-1 had 48 topics in the forum

PCI-2 had 86 topics in the forum

PCI-3 had 81 Topics in the forum

Now, that is total topics so the number of actual competitions was less for each because some of those topics were Entry Threads and non-competition Discussion Threads.

PCI-4 had 127 actual competitions and PCI5 will probably have close to 200. :ninja:

Wonderful job so far. This is going to be a great competition. I have really enjoyed looking at all of the entries. WOW! We CP folks have some nice coins. Stujoe, thanks for running this for us.

;):ninja:

I am not going to take the time to count the actual competitions but looking on my computer...

PCI-1 had 48 topics in the forum

PCI-2 had 86 topics in the forum

PCI-3 had 81 Topics in the forum

Now, that is total topics so the number of actual competitions was less for each because some of those topics were Entry Threads and non-competition Discussion Threads.

PCI-4 had 127 actual competitions and PCI5 will probably have close to 200. :ninja:

Okay maybe i misremembered it. Still glad to know the popularity is forever increasing!

Guest Stujoe
I can assure you it will take that long, I did the maths :ninja:

Just a bit of history:

PCI 1

Apr 02, 2004 to Jul 04, 2004 (3 months)

PCI 2

Jul 04, 2004 to Aug 29, 2004 (2 Months)

PCI3

Oct 17, 2004 to Feb 06, 2005 (4 Months)

PCI4

Wed Mar 02, 2005 to Aug 22 2005 (5 Months but with the server crash in between causing a delay and a re-do of round 2)

PCI5

Sun Oct 02, 2005 to ???

Assuming 16 competitions a week in the first 2 rounds and 8 after that...To me, it looks like around 20 weeks (or 5 months), give or take. Not bad considering submissions are up significantly from last round and probably 3 or 5 times what they were in the each of the first 3 PCIs. ;)

Archived