CoinPeople.com

5 kop.1791 E:M:(Paul) - 2 different pairs of dies

sigistenz

EEx9zM.jpg

2YJB0E.jpg

As the 1791 E:M: (Paul's re-overstrike) is a pretty rare coin,  I wouldn't have expected that it is still subdivided by different pairs of dies. The above 2 pieces differ on both sides:

On the cipher side the cipher's E lies over the I  or under it, the second 1  of 1791 is either upright or slanting, etc.

The eagle's tails are different (longer or shorter), the E: is in line with the upper two tail feathers or with the 2nd and  3rd tail feathers, etc.

Sigi

EEx9zM.jpg

2YJB0E.jpg

a_ignore_q_80_w_1000_c_limit_001.jpg

Put them together. Beautiful coin, just like Sigi's.

I watched the sale, though couldn't take part in this auction much. There were also a couple of good Sestroretsk 1758 pyatak coins that I would be interested in. They all went very high in price (though it's relative, of cause), but to a degree I think they were worth it. I have these types in my collection, and Sigi has them too, as  far as I remember, but they are better than what I have, I think. Late ($700) and early ($1000) Sestroretsk types:

(RE: https://rarecoins.bidspirit.com/?options=narrow,noHouseLogo,hideFooter#catalog~153~202 )

I had watched those magnificent coins, too :P.    But at BU coins that old - how to be sure that they are genuine?  Of course they are or become genuine because of their pedigree as coming from  a renowned auction sale and the price they fetched there.  There are good reasons to be happy with circulated - doubtlessly honest - coins. They have lived and if they only could speak.  That is what brains tell but the next supernice old pyatak will be tempting again....

Happy hunting - Sigi

On 10/13/2018 at 4:35 AM, lostdiamond777 said:

Hello, everyone!

Let me add a few more coins. I was fortunate to find two 5 kopecks 1791 E:M:  and I can see some difference between them too..

Hi lostdiamond, and welcome here!  Thank you for showing your nice coins.  I compared them with what I showed. It seems to me that your 2nd coin is identical to my 2nd coin on both sides. Whereas your 1st coin looks like a combination of my 2nd cipher side and my 1st eagle side.  That would make us deal with 3 different variants - what do you think? 

Sigi :art:

23 hours ago, squirrel said:

Wonderful coins all!  What a great topic, and thank you all for showing.  lost Diamond, your double (triple?) Overstruck 1791EM is treasure hunt for hidden detail.

Hi Josh, nice to hear from you again. :drinks: How are you? Nice coins coming your way?

Happy hunting, Sigi

On 10/14/2018 at 9:22 AM, sigistenz said:

Hi Josh, nice to hear from you again. :drinks: How are you? Nice coins coming your way?

Happy hunting, Sigi

Cheers Sigi!   Doing well here.  I check in frequently, despite not actively hunting these days.  My boy will be 10 next month!  I havent had a spare dollar to buy anything, for oh, about 9 years.   I do enjoy all the great topics, as they come up here.  And a perpetual eye open for interesting overstrikes!   

23 hours ago, lostdiamond777 said:

Thank you, guys, I'm glad you liked them! Squirrel, nice of you to notice multiple traces from the previous coins, I wasn't sure if it was triple overstrike or double punch. 

Sigistenz, yes you are absolutely right, looks like a combination. Those coins was minted in Nizny Novgorod mint as I understand. 

Very clear!  On your last image, at 12 oclock, above the 1791 eagle heads and crown, you can see the 10 from the previous 10K cipher undercoin, which is overstruck on the now hugely flatted crowns and wingtips of the previous 5K coin.   It would be really fun if anyone could spot any  traces of Peters 1762 10K!

10 hours ago, squirrel said:

Very clear!  On your last image, at 12 oclock, above the 1791 eagle heads and crown, you can see the 10 from the previous 10K cipher undercoin, which is overstruck on the now hugely flatted crowns and wingtips of the previous 5K coin.   It would be really fun if anyone could spot any  traces of Peters 1762 10K!

I got one like that on 1793 EM overstrike (from 1762 10 kopecks and on and on..)😁

1793 5 Kopecks EM 4 Perechekan 1762 to 1788 to 1796 to 1793 rare 1.jpg

h40ClG.jpg

Yes, lostdiamond, it took some enhancing of your last picture, but now it's clear. The "10" must be the 1762 "10" because in 1796 the "10" was not on the cipher side.

Great coin indeed! 😳

Sigi

21 hours ago, squirrel said:

Cheers Sigi!   Doing well here.  I check in frequently, despite not actively hunting these days.  My boy will be 10 next month!  I havent had a spare dollar to buy anything, for oh, about 9 years.   I do enjoy all the great topics, as they come up here.  And a perpetual eye open for interesting overstrikes!   

Hi Josh, you are right. It's much better to spend for your son than for coins. :art:Thinking back I do not have a good conscience.......

Sigi

• 2 weeks later...