CoinPeople.com

New coin for collection

Corina

Some of the price guides (like the new CPG tabloid and the listings in the back of The Numismatist) give retail prices which are top dollar.  It's not unusual to beat those prices.  True of the Red Book, too.

Apparently the big auctions at the ANA can be happy hunting grounds for such deals.  I've often stepped into the room, waited for my lot to come up, then only have to up the book bid once to get the coin, and the book bids are extremely low (like, 2800 on a coin CPG says is worth 5650).  Of course, you have to add 20 percent to the bids for their commissions.

It's harder to find something appreciably below the gray sheet numbers.

Of course if there's something special about the coin over and above its slab grade (e.g., a CAC sticker or lots of eye appeal), expect to pay a premium.

Regardless, congrats on your purchase!!

Some of the price guides (like the new CPG tabloid and the listings in the back of The Numismatist) give retail prices which are top dollar.  It's not unusual to beat those prices.  True of the Red Book, too.

Of course, I say this... but just paid well over Redbook in a hard fought auction earlier this week.  I finally got the piece on Friday morning and...yes, it does deserve that premium I mentioned.  I'll likely post a photo later, in a different thread (I take photos after dark to avoid ambient light pollution).